Y!Mail fans : keep an eye here today

  • guillaume@crackberry.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 16, 2010
      Some announcement to be made by Blake Irving about the forthcoming mail beta
      http://ycorpblog.com/2010/09/ 16/productrunway
      The page should be updated when live.
      ---
      Here is the official announcement made by Yahoo! to their employees :

      "Get Ready… Yahoo! Mail Beta Is Coming
      Don't blink. Some big changes are happening to your Yahoo! Mail.
      In the next few weeks, you'll be able to experience Yahoo! Mail Beta, a faster, cleaner, and safer way for you to communicate and share with the people you care about most. It's part of our ongoing commitment to deliver the best email service for the 281 million people around the world who use our product. Once the changes roll out, you'll notice a snappier feel to many of the core features in Yahoo! Mail. For a sneak peek, check out our Yahoo! Product Runway media event that our Chief Product Officer Blake Irving is hosting today.
      Here's what you should expect in Yahoo! Mail Beta:

      It shines
      Yahoo! Mail Beta will have a cleaner, sleeker interface that will make it easier for you to navigate through your inbox and use other features built into the product. You'll see this look and feel when you go access Yahoo! Mail Beta on your PC browser, mobile device, or tablet.
      It's fast
      We've been re-architecting many core features across the product to improve the Yahoo! Mail experience. And with the addition of our cutting edge cloud technology, Yahoo! Mail will become faster and more accessible, enabling users to download and respond to messages in lightning speed.
      It's an anti-spam warrior
      Yahoo! Mail Beta will continue to offer great anti-spam features to keep your inbox free of clutter. Yahoo! Mail is the #1 email provider in protecting users from spam, and our inboxes had fewer spam messages than our competitors, according to a 2010 study by the Fraunhofer Institute .
      It keeps you connected
      Managing your social life will become simpler since you'll be able to view and update your Facebook and Twitterpages from your inbox.
      It's more than just email
      We are enhancing a number of features into the product, such as video, photo sharing tools, a new version of Yahoo! Messenger, easier ways to SMS, and a refurbished inbox search page."
    • The Old Sled Shed
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 16, 2010
        Hopefully it is more polished than the recent disastrous Yahoo! Groups "upgrade", that it remains useful for those of us still on dial-up internet access, and that we still have robust privacy controls.

        ** ttfn, The Old Sled Shed **
        ** TheOldSledShed@... **

        > Here is the official announcement made by Yahoo! to their
        > employees :
        >
        > "Get Ready… Yahoo! Mail Beta Is Coming
        > Don't blink. Some big changes are happening to your Yahoo! Mail.
        > In the next few weeks, you'll be able to experience Yahoo!
        > Mail Beta, a faster, cleaner, and safer way for you to
        > communicate and share with the people you care about most.
        > It's part of our ongoing commitment to deliver the best
        > email service for the 281 million people around the world
        > who use our product. Once the changes roll out, you'll
        > notice a snappier feel to many of the core features in
        > Yahoo! Mail. For a sneak peek, check out our Yahoo! Product
        > Runway media event   that our Chief Product
        > Officer Blake Irving is hosting today.
        >
        > Here's what you should expect in Yahoo! Mail Beta:
        >
        > It shines
        > Yahoo! Mail Beta will have a cleaner, sleeker interface
        > that will make it easier for you to navigate through your
        > inbox and use other features built into the product. You'll
        > see this look and feel when you go access Yahoo! Mail Beta
        > on your PC browser, mobile device, or tablet.
        >
        > It's fast
        > We've been re-architecting many core features across the
        > product to improve the Yahoo! Mail experience. And with the
        > addition of our cutting edge cloud technology, Yahoo! Mail
        > will become faster and more accessible, enabling users to
        > download and respond to messages in lightning speed.
        >
        > It's an anti-spam warrior
        > Yahoo! Mail Beta will continue to offer great anti-spam
        > features to keep your inbox free of clutter. Yahoo! Mail is
        > the #1 email provider in protecting users from spam, and our
        > inboxes had fewer spam messages than our competitors,
        > according to a 2010 study by the Fraunhofer Institute.
        >
        > It keeps you connected
        > Managing your social life will become simpler since you'll
        > be able to view and update your Facebook and Twitterpages
        > from your inbox.
        >
        > It's more than just email
        > We are enhancing a number of features into the product,
        > such as video, photo sharing tools, a new version of Yahoo!
        > Messenger, easier ways to SMS, and a refurbished inbox
        > search page."

      • Sasafrass452
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 16, 2010
          I was wondering when that update would happen.... Although my account is supposedly on one of the early test servers, I don't think I'll see it today, but I'll keep my eye open. Hmm, maybe the IMAP is part of this update?

          **Sasafrass452, aiBR Co-Moderator**

              Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 16, 2010
                15 minutes to go!!

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 16, 2010
                  I hope not! It seems to work fine as is.... I'll wait & see how it goes when the new format is up & running. I'm not ready to come back to YMail just yet....

                • lmhaskins@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 16, 2010
                    I watched the video after I got home, and, omg, the first seven minutes or so was putting me to sleep, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens to my email.

                    Some things I would like:
                    - True IMAP
                    - Restore the ability to back up (tho IMAP would help that a bit)
                    - https

                    Hmmm... I guess that was it. Think I'll get any of them?
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 17, 2010
                      Agree, talk was light on action. So much so that in trying to skip the early bits, I couldn't find any video footage of the new mail - was there any? Also he kept talking about demos for invited guests to try, but not heard about any hands on experiences.

                      As for IMAP, officially or not, some people in the group found some working settings for IMAP - have a look at conversation threads from yesterday and give it a go. Let us know how you get on.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 17, 2010
                        Very quick first impressions based on single screenshot that seems to be available.

                        - very purple - hope that's changeable
                        - where's the calendar tab gone?
                        - where are the current applications?
                        - no timeline for implementation - WSJ correctly pointed out that none of products announced yesterday are ready for release now. Google tends to announce and release within days.

                      • dalemonator@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 24, 2010
                          I got to try the new e-mail today. It's the "All-New Mail" link in the top left. It wasn't horrible, it just wasn't anything special. They didn't change much except the look and feel. They say the left side ads are gone, but there was still one in my view. The stupid right side ad is still hogging up my screen and still re-expands after every message click, making it pointless to be hidden. They moved a few controls around and made apps available at the bottom. It seemed somewhat pointless to me as a revamp, then again, I'm only a minimalist user at this point. My overall impression was a sarcastic "whup-de-doo".
                        • Rebekah Json
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 2, 2010
                            Is there a way to tell which version one has?

                            I still don't have it on my account. I thought I was on one of the early test servers? I guess not....

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 2, 2010
                                You have the new version IF your mail interface looks like this: http://ymailupdates.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Yahoo-Mail-Beta-with-IM-Final.png . If it doesn't, see if there's a link to switch to the new version at the top left.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 2, 2010
                                  Thank you :)
                                  No, nothing like that and no link either. Checked my old account, which used to be on some type of test server in the old times, but not so now. I'll wait.