Res: [Y-Mail] Yahoo mail finally rolling out IMAP!

  • Henrique de Castro
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 16 5:37 AM
      Awesome! It is working.

      Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

      De: "ak.postbox@..." <ak.postbox@...>
      Para: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
      Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 16 de Setembro de 2010 7:59:01
      Assunto: [Y-Mail] Yahoo mail finally rolling out IMAP!

      just tried yahoo mail's imap server with the following imap address imap.mail.yahoo.com and its working!

      try it out. port 993 and with SSL/TLS .... authentication is normail password.

      I hope it is here to stay.

      ~AK

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 16 5:53 AM
        Interesting. Wouldn't surprise me massively, seeing as that seems to be the same setting that is used on most mobile platforms. I don't see how it's very different for yahoo to have people accessing their email via IMAP on a computer or mobile. Furthermore, I'd guess that mobile users will probably exceed the number of people who are keen enough to use IMAP settings on a different mail rpogram than the webmail version Yahoo offers, and so this new development may not overload their servers that much more.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 16 6:42 AM
          Interesting.... It won't let me send, though. What settings do I need?

          **Sasafrass452, aiBR Co-Moderator**

          On 09/16/2010 06:59 AM, ak.postbox@... wrote:
          just tried yahoo mail's imap server with the following imap address imap.mail.yahoo.com and its working!

          try it out. port 993 and with SSL/TLS ....  authentication is normail password.

          I hope it is here to stay.

          ~AK

              Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

        • Sasafrass452
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 16 6:44 AM
            I'm just wondering if it's a fluke :P If not, I'm surprised they're finally allowing it after all this time!

          • guillaume@crackberry.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 16 7:17 AM
              smtp.mail.yahoo.com with SSL worked for me on a free account
            • Sasafrass452
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 16 7:45 AM
                Thanx!

                On 09/16/2010 10:17 AM, guillaume@... wrote:
                smtp.mail.yahoo.com with SSL worked for me on a free account

                    Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

              • Madeleine Fournier-Ghozzi
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 17 2:27 AM
                  Well apparently it was there already but not in a standard way : yahoo
                  Imap was used with Zimbra and with a modified version of thunderbird
                  (shredder). So it's good it's there "officially", though I won't be able
                  to send messages with my secondary email addresses.
                  En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicit├ęs
                  http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail
                • guillaume@crackberry.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 17 9:11 AM
                    madeleine.fournier : You usually have to add the other email address next to the other one in the setting panel separated with a comma. In Mail.app when composing a message you then get a dropdown menu from which you can choose which email address you want to sent it with
                  • Madeleine Fournier-Ghozzi
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 19 2:24 AM
                      Yes, I know I can create additionnal email addresses in TB, but it is
                      a bit of a pain. Imagine, somebody having 500 of them ! I am trying IMAP
                      at the moment, but I might drop it and go back to webmail. not sure yet
                      what i'll do.
                    • guillaume@crackberry.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 20 1:37 AM
                        Not sure what you mean here:

                        I think you did not understand. I was saying you can add a secondary email address in your settings and choose from which you want to send your message in the composer.
                        See an example here : http://is.gd/fj9rE (the blue highlight.)

                        Did you actually expect to see all your disposable email addresses listed their automatically ?
                      • Madeleine Fournier-Ghozzi
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 20 2:27 AM
                          @guillaume : no I wasn't expecting all my web settings (secondary
                          addresses, filters, ...) to be there, and BTW with Thunderbird it seems
                          like I have to declare an account for each Y! address. But it is good
                          Yahoo! is finally implementing IMAP. I am just saying that depending on
                          the use one has of it, it might be better to stick to the webmail.
                          That's all. Thanks for taking the time to answer me.