Yahoo mail finally rolling out IMAP!

  • ak.postbox@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 16, 2010
      just tried yahoo mail's imap server with the following imap address imap.mail.yahoo.com and its working!

      try it out. port 993 and with SSL/TLS .... authentication is normail password.

      I hope it is here to stay.

      ~AK
    • Henrique de Castro
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 16, 2010
        Awesome! It is working.

        Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 16, 2010
          Interesting. Wouldn't surprise me massively, seeing as that seems to be the same setting that is used on most mobile platforms. I don't see how it's very different for yahoo to have people accessing their email via IMAP on a computer or mobile. Furthermore, I'd guess that mobile users will probably exceed the number of people who are keen enough to use IMAP settings on a different mail rpogram than the webmail version Yahoo offers, and so this new development may not overload their servers that much more.

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 16, 2010
            Interesting.... It won't let me send, though. What settings do I need?

            **Sasafrass452, aiBR Co-Moderator**

            On 09/16/2010 06:59 AM, ak.postbox@... wrote:
            just tried yahoo mail's imap server with the following imap address imap.mail.yahoo.com and its working!

            try it out. port 993 and with SSL/TLS ....  authentication is normail password.

            I hope it is here to stay.

            ~AK

                Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

          • Sasafrass452
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 16, 2010
              I'm just wondering if it's a fluke :P If not, I'm surprised they're finally allowing it after all this time!

            • guillaume@crackberry.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 16, 2010
                smtp.mail.yahoo.com with SSL worked for me on a free account
              • Sasafrass452
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 16, 2010
                  Thanx!

                  On 09/16/2010 10:17 AM, guillaume@... wrote:
                  smtp.mail.yahoo.com with SSL worked for me on a free account

                      Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                • Madeleine Fournier-Ghozzi
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 17, 2010
                    Well apparently it was there already but not in a standard way : yahoo
                    Imap was used with Zimbra and with a modified version of thunderbird
                    (shredder). So it's good it's there "officially", though I won't be able
                    to send messages with my secondary email addresses.
                    En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicit├ęs
                    http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail
                  • guillaume@crackberry.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 17, 2010
                      madeleine.fournier : You usually have to add the other email address next to the other one in the setting panel separated with a comma. In Mail.app when composing a message you then get a dropdown menu from which you can choose which email address you want to sent it with
                    • Madeleine Fournier-Ghozzi
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 19, 2010
                        Yes, I know I can create additionnal email addresses in TB, but it is
                        a bit of a pain. Imagine, somebody having 500 of them ! I am trying IMAP
                        at the moment, but I might drop it and go back to webmail. not sure yet
                        what i'll do.
                      • guillaume@crackberry.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 20, 2010
                          Not sure what you mean here:

                          I think you did not understand. I was saying you can add a secondary email address in your settings and choose from which you want to send your message in the composer.
                          See an example here : http://is.gd/fj9rE (the blue highlight.)

                          Did you actually expect to see all your disposable email addresses listed their automatically ?
                        • Madeleine Fournier-Ghozzi
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 20, 2010
                            @guillaume : no I wasn't expecting all my web settings (secondary
                            addresses, filters, ...) to be there, and BTW with Thunderbird it seems
                            like I have to declare an account for each Y! address. But it is good
                            Yahoo! is finally implementing IMAP. I am just saying that depending on
                            the use one has of it, it might be better to stick to the webmail.
                            That's all. Thanks for taking the time to answer me.