Re: WSJ mentions next-gen Y!Mail

  • lloyd
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "GuillaumeB" <guillaume@...> wrote:

      > Source : http://is.gd/f5CJw
      >
      > Yahoo Inc. is redesigning its email service to help stem a user
      decline and counter offerings from longtime rivals Microsoft Corp. and
      Google Inc. as well as social-networking services such as Facebook and
      Twitter.

      [etc., etc.]

      > Yahoo is also changing the look of the service to resemble the simpler
      design of the email app that is downloaded on mobile devices such as
      Apple Inc.'s iPad or phones that use Google's Android software. The
      updates to the email service are expected to roll out this fall.

      Hmmm... the way I read this is that they'll remove even more features,
      and also narrow even more the difference between Mail Plus and
      non-paying email. I was pretty happy with Mail+ until Yahoo removed the
      backup feature, and only squawking got them to restore folders to
      disposable email addresses when they took that away.

      Little by little I've been moving vendors over to my gmail address, and
      this isn't going to slow it down.

      Sigh.

      -Lloyd
    • Ryan Lee
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
        My relatives and friends in Asia informed me that MSN/Hotmail/Messenger are huge over there because:

        1) they come installed with every PC and a lot of people don't know how or don't care to change the default services (or seek out others).

        2) In a lot of companies, the IT departments are strict and don't allow users to install things on their PC.  So they can only use MS apps at work.

        I am a little surprised that hotmail gained so much though.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 12, 2010
          nor will it encourage them to favour pro users with advanced features.

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 12, 2010
            I think you hit the nail on the head.... I don't use Yahoo Mail simply because it doesn't have some of the features I need/want. I don't care what it looks like as long as the interface is user-friendly, but it's the features & functionality that are most important.

            **Sasafrass452, aiBR Co-Moderator**

            On 09/11/2010 11:14 AM, Joseph Singer wrote:
            If yahoo thinks that just cosmetic changes are going to bring people in rather than actually making a service that is actually useful and works they are deluding themselves.  Gmail has chosen to innovate.  What has yahoo done?
          • Sasafrass452
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 12, 2010
              You really think they won't give us IMAP? IMO, Yahoo's decline started when they decided to charge for pop3 access....

                  Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com