WSJ mentions next-gen Y!Mail

  • GuillaumeB
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
      Source : http://is.gd/f5CJw

      Yahoo Inc. is redesigning its email service to help stem a user decline and counter offerings from longtime rivals Microsoft Corp. and Google Inc. as well as social-networking services such as Facebook and Twitter.

      The planned changes to Yahoo Mail, part of a project codenamed "Minty," are aimed partly at increasing the speed of the service in overseas markets where Internet connections are slower than in countries such as the U.S.

      Yahoo is also changing the look of the service to resemble the simpler design of the email app that is downloaded on mobile devices such as Apple Inc.'s iPad or phones that use Google's Android software. The updates to the email service are expected to roll out this fall.

      Yahoo executives earlier this year mentioned the planned redesign to financial analysts and application developers, a company spokesman said, but the project received little attention.

      "We continue to innovate our product experiences, and specific to Yahoo Mail, we have been previewing our next version of email that provides higher performance, sleeker design and great integration" with social-networking services such as Facebook, a Yahoo spokesman said.

      Yahoo Mail is the No. 1 Web-based email service in the U.S. with 97 million unique visitors in August—more than Google's Gmail and Microsoft's Hotmail combined, according to research firm comScore Inc. But that figure is down from about 107 million visitors in August of last year.

      Worldwide, Microsoft still commands a large lead over Yahoo and Google with 355 million visitors in July, up 3% from the same period last year, according to comScore data. Yahoo had 281 million visitors in July, down 7% from a year earlier. Gmail is rising fast, growing by 22% to 185 million visitors in July.

      Yahoo also faces a tough battle in important markets such as India, where Gmail took the top spot several months ago and in July had 24 million visitors to Yahoo's 21 million, according to comScore.

      "Yahoo Mail is an incredibly important part of Yahoo," said David Karnstedt, a former Yahoo executive who is now chief executive of Efficient Frontier, which manages online ad spending for marketers. "Not only does mail drive a ton of user engagement but it accounts for the majority of the available advertising space in Yahoo's network," he said.

      Email services generate advertising revenue and help providers promote other services, such as Web search, which are bigger drivers of ad revenue. Yahoo's rivals have been steadily upgrading their own offerings; Google, for instance, added the ability for Gmail users to make video calls directly from the program, assuming they have computers with video cameras and microphones.

      Yahoo Mail also has been threatened by the rise of mobile devices powered by Google's Android software and often preloaded with Gmail. In the second quarter of 2010, Android grew to become the No. 3 smartphone operating system in the world behind Symbian, which is used by Nokia Corp. Yahoo has a partnership with Nokia to pre-install Yahoo Mail and chat applications on some of its phones.

      Another factor is the rapid rise of social-networking sites such as Facebook, which offers its users the ability to send direct messages to friends and family. And Twitter, the microblogging service, also is rising in popularity as people use it to share links and write short messages to other users.

      Hoping to keep Facebook users from leaving its email service, Yahoo earlier this year introduced a way for users to integrate their personal Facebook content with Yahoo Mail and the Yahoo.com home page, among other Yahoo sites.

      Facebook content often consists of photos shared between users. Project "Minty" is in part aimed to help Yahoo Mail users manage photos they receive and share with others, in part by including elements of Yahoo's Flickr photo-sharing and editing program.
    • Joseph Singer
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
        On Sep 11, 2010, at 05:37, GuillaumeB wrote:

        > Yahoo Mail is the No. 1 Web-based email service in the U.S. with 97 million unique visitors in August—more than Google's Gmail and Microsoft's Hotmail combined, according to research firm comScore Inc. But that figure is down from about 107 million visitors in August of last year.
        >
        > Worldwide, Microsoft still commands a large lead over Yahoo and Google with 355 million visitors in July, up 3% from the same period last year, according to comScore data. Yahoo had 281 million visitors in July, down 7% from a year earlier. Gmail is rising fast, growing by 22% to 185 million visitors in July.

        Odd that Microsoft is supposedly number one. I can only think of a handful of people that I know who use hotmail and even fewer than that who use the MSN service. Most everyone I know who doesn't use a regular ISP's email use either yahoo mail or gmail.

        If yahoo thinks that just cosmetic changes are going to bring people in rather than actually making a service that is actually useful and works they are deluding themselves. Gmail has chosen to innovate. What has yahoo done?

        All these entities (including Apple) think that chasing "social networking" will be their saviour will be disappointed I believe.

        + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +
        Joseph Singer
        weekilter@...
      • GuillaumeB
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
          Hotmail and WIndows Live Messenger are actually very popular in France. Live Messenger is by far the most succeful of it kind in france. In fact we even use it at work. i'm not so suprised about Hotmail. What surprise me is that the service is gaining newcomers, that I honestly do not believe. i remember seeing data that stated precisely the opposite

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
            In my experience in the UK, any professional who needs to set up a new email address, they choose gmail. It is frankly perceived to be the work orientated and serious email service. Perhaps it's the Google docs integration but personally I think it's all in brand perception. Hotmail may compete with integration with Office but yahoo is only used by those who setup an account many years ago. They may be happy with the current features and stay, but yahoo will have a hard time to persuade new users to sign up with them rather than Google. I think it's a shame as yahoo mail is still great, but it needs a new killer feature that improves on gmail to really turn heads.

            "GuillaumeB" <guillaume@...> wrote:

            >Hotmail and WIndows Live Messenger are actually very popular in France. Live Messenger is by far the most succeful of it kind in france. In fact we even use it at work. i'm not so suprised about Hotmail. What surprise me is that the service is gaining newcomers, that I honestly do not believe. i remember seeing data that stated precisely the opposite
            >
            >--- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Singer <weekilter@...> wrote:
            >>

            >> On Sep 11, 2010, at 05:37, GuillaumeB wrote:
            >>
            >> > Yahoo Mail is the No. 1 Web-based email service in the U.S. with 97 million unique visitors in August—more than Google's Gmail and Microsoft's Hotmail combined, according to research firm comScore Inc. But that figure is down from about 107 million visitors in August of last year.
            >> >
            >> > Worldwide, Microsoft still commands a large lead over Yahoo and Google with 355 million visitors in July, up 3% from the same period last year, according to comScore data. Yahoo had 281 million visitors in July, down 7% from a year earlier. Gmail is rising fast, growing by 22% to 185 million visitors in July.
            >>
            >> Odd that Microsoft is supposedly number one. I can only think of a handful of people that I know who use hotmail and even fewer than that who use the MSN service. Most everyone I know who doesn't use a regular ISP's email use either yahoo mail or gmail.
            >>
            >> If yahoo thinks that just cosmetic changes are going to bring people in rather than actually making a service that is actually useful and works they are deluding themselves. Gmail has chosen to innovate. What has yahoo done?
            >>
            >> All these entities (including Apple) think that chasing "social networking" will be their saviour will be disappointed I believe.
            >>
            >> + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +
            >> Joseph Singer
            >> weekilter@...

          • GuillaumeB
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
              As for me i'm not kin of this quote :

              "Not only does mail drive a ton of user engagement but it accounts for the majority of the available advertising space in Yahoo's network,"

              which clearly means that Yahoo! will try to retain users on the webmail and clearly won't do anything about IMAP for desktop clients...

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "GuillaumeB" <guillaume@...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > Another factor is the rapid rise of social-networking sites such as Facebook, which offers its users the ability to send direct messages to friends and family. And Twitter, the microblogging service, also is rising in popularity as people use it to share links and write short messages to other users.
              >
              > Hoping to keep Facebook users from leaving its email service, Yahoo earlier this year introduced a way for users to integrate their personal Facebook content with Yahoo Mail and the Yahoo.com home page, among other Yahoo sites.
              >
              > Facebook content often consists of photos shared between users. Project "Minty" is in part aimed to help Yahoo Mail users manage photos they receive and share with others, in part by including elements of Yahoo's Flickr photo-sharing and editing program.

            • lloyd
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "GuillaumeB" <guillaume@...> wrote:

                > Source : http://is.gd/f5CJw
                >
                > Yahoo Inc. is redesigning its email service to help stem a user
                decline and counter offerings from longtime rivals Microsoft Corp. and
                Google Inc. as well as social-networking services such as Facebook and
                Twitter.

                [etc., etc.]

                > Yahoo is also changing the look of the service to resemble the simpler
                design of the email app that is downloaded on mobile devices such as
                Apple Inc.'s iPad or phones that use Google's Android software. The
                updates to the email service are expected to roll out this fall.

                Hmmm... the way I read this is that they'll remove even more features,
                and also narrow even more the difference between Mail Plus and
                non-paying email. I was pretty happy with Mail+ until Yahoo removed the
                backup feature, and only squawking got them to restore folders to
                disposable email addresses when they took that away.

                Little by little I've been moving vendors over to my gmail address, and
                this isn't going to slow it down.

                Sigh.

                -Lloyd
              • Ryan Lee
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 11, 2010
                  My relatives and friends in Asia informed me that MSN/Hotmail/Messenger are huge over there because:

                  1) they come installed with every PC and a lot of people don't know how or don't care to change the default services (or seek out others).

                  2) In a lot of companies, the IT departments are strict and don't allow users to install things on their PC.  So they can only use MS apps at work.

                  I am a little surprised that hotmail gained so much though.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 12, 2010
                    nor will it encourage them to favour pro users with advanced features.

> [...]

                    > Another factor is the rapid rise of social-networking sites such as Facebook, which offers its users the ability to send direct messages to friends and family. And Twitter, the microblogging service, also is rising in popularity as people use it to share links and write short messages to other users.
                    >
                    > Hoping to keep Facebook users from leaving its email service, Yahoo earlier this year introduced a way for users to integrate their personal Facebook content with Yahoo Mail and the Yahoo.com home page, among other Yahoo sites.
                    >
                    > Facebook content often consists of photos shared between users. Project "Minty" is in part aimed to help Yahoo Mail users manage photos they receive and share with others, in part by including elements of Yahoo's Flickr photo-sharing and editing program.

                  • Sasafrass452
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 12, 2010
                      I think you hit the nail on the head.... I don't use Yahoo Mail simply because it doesn't have some of the features I need/want. I don't care what it looks like as long as the interface is user-friendly, but it's the features & functionality that are most important.

                      **Sasafrass452, aiBR Co-Moderator**

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 12, 2010
                        You really think they won't give us IMAP? IMO, Yahoo's decline started when they decided to charge for pop3 access....

                            Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com