Re: Increase in Spam...?

  • randall_shimizu
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 8, 2010
      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "randall_shimizu" <randall.shimizu@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone been noticing a slight increase in Spam. I was getting 2 or 3 spam emails. Recently it has increased to 7 or 8 a day. I notice that some of them come right after another late at night.

      The number of spams finally dropped back down to 2 or 3 a day in the beginning of August.
    • king_kahoutek
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 12, 2010
        Hard to believe they can't do something about spam. Such a waste of bandwidth, electricity, time. I get about 25 a day, and that is down from 75 or more in 2002.

        Seems to me one team of 5 could cut the spam in half in a month.

        Maybe the Powers that Be in the Internet World don't WANT to eliminate spam?

        Spammer companies pay to have their spam sent. There must be a choke point somewhere.

        Yahoo spam filters are good, if a little erratic. Sometimes something I want and receive regularly goes into the Spam Folder automatically.

        And if I send myself an email to my own address, THAT is AUTOMATICALLY Spam. Go figure.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "randall_shimizu" <randall.shimizu@...> wrote:

        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "randall_shimizu" <randall.shimizu@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Has anyone been noticing a slight increase in Spam. I was getting 2 or 3 spam emails. Recently it has increased to 7 or 8 a day. I notice that some of them come right after another late at night.
        > >
        > The number of spams finally dropped back down to 2 or 3 a day in the beginning of August.

      • Harryh
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 13, 2010
          It is rather remarkable that spam volume >> legitimate traffic. Today I received 275 'good' messages and had 400+ in my spam folder!

          The real answer is adequate reporting plus responsive ISPs. Yahoo often does a disservice by not acting on proper spam complaints. For instance, in another account I use I receive a deluge of spam from one source originating from a Planet.com controlled IP 174.132.118.66. The spammer has managed to join many groups (that are poorly moderated) using various Yahoo IDs (multiples) either by tricking the capcha (probably) or paying someone for those IDs. They often are joe7z@yahoo or joe6e@yahoo, etc. Sadly the pattern is not always obvious. Then the poster with a given ID will post as "Aqsa Pasha" or "Bindya Sexy" then switch IDs and reuse those names. They will send in groups of 10-20 messages. Each message has slightly different subject headers but similar content. So the spammer is clever and used good generating software to elude Bayes detection. About the only way to defeat such a spammer is human reporting. Now, I've done that multiple
          times and both Yahoo and Planet ignore me. So onto Spamcop for reporting. Spamcop reporting will usually target the Yahoo group server IP, not necessarily the real sender IP.

          So Yahoo groups become a wonderful way to spam millions because the 'authorities' refuse to act. Their actions can be understood because the staff required to investigate is simply not there. Persistence pays off eventually, but it is irritating.

          > something about spam. Such a waste of bandwidth,
          > electricity, time. I get about 25 a day, and that is down
          > from 75 or more in 2002.
          >
          > Seems to me one team of 5 could cut the spam in half in a
          > month.
          >
          > Maybe the Powers that Be in the Internet World don't WANT
          > to eliminate spam?
          >
          > Spammer companies pay to have their spam sent. There must
          > be a choke point somewhere.

        • king_kahoutek
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 13, 2010
            And since posting here my spam has quadrupled. GREAT JOB, YAHOO!

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "king_kahoutek" <mcm1@...> wrote:

            > Hard to believe they can't do something about spam. Such a waste of bandwidth, electricity, time. I get about 25 a day, and that is down from 75 or more in 2002.
            >
            > Seems to me one team of 5 could cut the spam in half in a month.
            >
            > Maybe the Powers that Be in the Internet World don't WANT to eliminate spam?
            >
            > Spammer companies pay to have their spam sent. There must be a choke point somewhere.
            >
            > Yahoo spam filters are good, if a little erratic. Sometimes something I want and receive regularly goes into the Spam Folder automatically.
            >
            > And if I send myself an email to my own address, THAT is AUTOMATICALLY Spam. Go figure.
            >
            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "randall_shimizu" <randall.shimizu@> wrote:
            > >

            > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "randall_shimizu" <randall.shimizu@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Has anyone been noticing a slight increase in Spam. I was getting 2 or 3 spam emails. Recently it has increased to 7 or 8 a day. I notice that some of them come right after another late at night.
            > > >
            > > The number of spams finally dropped back down to 2 or 3 a day in the beginning of August.

          • Shal Farley
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 14, 2010
              Harryh,

              >So onto Spamcop for reporting. Spamcop reporting will usually
              >target the Yahoo group server IP, not necessarily the real
              >sender IP.

              There's a work-around for that. After you paste the full headers onto Spamcop's form, look for all the "X-Received:" headers and trim off the two characters "X-" in each, so that it reads as an ordinary "Received:" header. When Yahoo Groups processes a message it converts all the inbound Received to X-Received, and Spamcop does not recognize X-Received.

              -- Shal
            • Harryh
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 15, 2010
                How cool! Thanks for this, I now can do some damage.