Android apps are here !

  • GuillaumeB
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 2010
      The Yahoo Mail Android app is here, along with Y!Messenger and Y!Search

      http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail/android
    • GuillaumeB
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
        OK having played with the Mail Android App, it works pretty well. in fact you get push notification which is cool.

        A couple of problem :

        -In batch edit mode you can't mark several messages as red
        -Also when composing a message you cannot choose the from-line email address

        The HTML5 version of Yahoo Mail is strictly for the iTouch devices, the messages will not load on Android (Kind of weird fora standard) though you also have a webkit based browser.

        Yahoo Messenger is pretty nice as it lets you sent files an d photo from you SD card.
      • Rob Igo
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
          so is the new iphone html5 app available?

          Loving The Music - www.robigophotography.com - Capturing Your Wedding Day

          Wedding Photographer Photography Warrington Cheshire Northwest Rob Igo

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
            OK well I actually managed to crach the applicatin and the process will not open anymore. A reboot of the phone did nothing to fix it ---->> Y!Mail removed :)

            Should anyone at Yahoo read this : Acer liquid upgraded in 2.1

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
              My very early imporessions:

              - finally but thank you
              - nice interface
              - a bit slow to load up initially
              - I think it's push notification, so good, though obviously needs to be balanced vs battery drain
              - unfortunately no offline access to emails
              - I like the easy switch to and from messenger using the menu

              As I use it more (perhaps to even write an email!) I'll post any other impressions I may have

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
                The Android app crashed the phone?! Oh, unfortunate. Will look out for it

                Should anyone at Yahoo read this : Acer liquid upgraded in 2.1

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Rob Igo <robigouk@...> wrote:

                > so is the new iphone html5 app available?
                >

                > Loving The Music - www.robigophotography.com - Capturing Your Wedding Day
                >

                > Wedding Photographer Photography Warrington Cheshire Northwest Rob Igo
                >

                > ________________________________

              • mj
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
                  Yes, and it is excellent!

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
                    where do I get it from?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
                      FOUND IT!!!

                      OK - looks great BUT where is the option gone to "check other mail"???

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
                        Not sure that's available (yet?) Rob.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
                          Ok, here goes a bit more feedback.

                          The best bit of the mail app I think is bizarrely the address book! Having a quick access to all your yahoo contacts is great and MUCH quicker than selecting on mobile web page.

                          The graphical interface is also pleasant to look at, complete with all the purpleness of yahoo! The push notification is also neat, though opening up the notification always takes you to the inbox and not the folder the incoming message is being filtered into.

                          However, the application currently still has some serious downsides. Personally the biggest one is speed. It is SLOW in every way. Loading up, opening emails, switching between folders being the most noticeable.

                          There is also no offline access, making it impossible to use for those of us who commute / work in areas with no reception. The html5 version on iPhone seems to resolve this, but I wouldn't know.

                          The above criticisms currently prevent me from using the app on a regular basis, and I'll be sticking for now with K-9 mail app which offers a less visually pleasing but much faster and otherwise perfect online/offline IMAP access to my yahoo mail account.

                          However, I should end saying that this is only version 1.0, a very good start and despite its latecoming, yahoo's new support to Android is very welcome. I look forward to frequent app updates...

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 1, 2010
                            Anything particularly good?
                            How's the offline access that the yahoo blog post mentioned?