Re: ALERT: Yahoo! Mail Plus subscribers - Yahoo! Disposable Email Addresses changes

  • Gerry
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 22, 2010
      There has been more than enough posts about it, and if you have a problem understanding then to be honest its not likely something you can comprehend or need to worry your self with.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ruairi" <rhipkin05@...> wrote:

      > Could you forward on the chain of messages between yourself and Yahoo! Support to do with that ticket? I've been reading your post and I can't quite understand your point. It seems like you're rambling slightly matey.
      >
      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <sp1d3rc1d3r-ymug@> wrote:
      > >
      > > If ticket #3633480 is just for issues with being able to edit DEAs, then it appears resolved (a month after the issue arouse) as I can now edit them. Now this gives me access the the comments for each where I often placed other related info. Now going through all 400 or so and migrating them to a similar feature I created for my own vanity domain. The goal is to get them all done and cancel my Plus account before the renewal time.
      > >
      > > This whole screw up is just another reminder of why you should never rely on such free email services, even if you do pay for the 'Plus' features. There simply is no SLA for any issue. I have been using this very issue as an example when my users ask why we have mail quotas yet they can get 'unlimited' accounts, or high quotas in the gig ranges for 'free' from the online providers such as Yahoo and Google. I ask them when was the last time they called Yahoo or Google and requested to have emails restored from tape from 6 months ago. Or called and actually had any issue resolved at all in a timely manner (a month to fix something they broke is by no means timely). It doesn't happen as this is the difference between an actual service provider and a company like Yahoo. Toy email accounts, whether you pay for them or not will eventually fail you and there is simply no recourse but to move on to something else. They screwed up YIM and now they are screwing YMail, and I refuse to keep paying them to do so.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Gerry
      > >
      > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "mark_risher" <mrisher@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi, Gerry and others:
      > > >
      > > > The Y!Mail team is working on a solution to the Disposable Email Address issue raised on this discussion forum, and should have a fix rolling out very shortly to restore the folder routing of messages addressed to these aliases.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for the continued diligence and your efforts to educate others on the group.
      > > >
      > > > /m

    • Gerry
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 23, 2010
        It was going on 3am when I wrote that reply, and reading it now it seems a tad 'not so nice'... So I will rephrase and just say I am through worrying about it personally. Now that I have access again to my DEAs, I'm working every day to lessen the dependency on my Yahoo account.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <sp1d3rc1d3r-ymug@...> wrote:

        > There has been more than enough posts about it, and if you have a problem understanding then to be honest its not likely something you can comprehend or need to worry your self with.
        >

        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ruairi" <rhipkin05@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Could you forward on the chain of messages between yourself and Yahoo! Support to do with that ticket? I've been reading your post and I can't quite understand your point. It seems like you're rambling slightly matey.
        > >
        > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <sp1d3rc1d3r-ymug@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > If ticket #3633480 is just for issues with being able to edit DEAs, then it appears resolved (a month after the issue arouse) as I can now edit them. Now this gives me access the the comments for each where I often placed other related info. Now going through all 400 or so and migrating them to a similar feature I created for my own vanity domain. The goal is to get them all done and cancel my Plus account before the renewal time.
        > > >
        > > > This whole screw up is just another reminder of why you should never rely on such free email services, even if you do pay for the 'Plus' features. There simply is no SLA for any issue. I have been using this very issue as an example when my users ask why we have mail quotas yet they can get 'unlimited' accounts, or high quotas in the gig ranges for 'free' from the online providers such as Yahoo and Google. I ask them when was the last time they called Yahoo or Google and requested to have emails restored from tape from 6 months ago. Or called and actually had any issue resolved at all in a timely manner (a month to fix something they broke is by no means timely). It doesn't happen as this is the difference between an actual service provider and a company like Yahoo. Toy email accounts, whether you pay for them or not will eventually fail you and there is simply no recourse but to move on to something else. They screwed up YIM and now they are screwing YMail, and I refuse to keep paying them to do so.
        > > >
        > > > --
        > > > Gerry

      • Gerry
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 26, 2010
          I just noticed recently that my existing DEAs were again going to the correct folders (and I have no filters for them setup). So Yahoo has helped me out it seems. Hopefully it isn't just me.

          Looking at the dates, this started working again on 6/18. Of course I can't add any new DEAs and specify the folder destination, but at least for the many 100s I had setup already, this is working as before. I have no idea if this includes the old individual SpamGuard settings (doubt it), but I'll take whatever I can get at this point. At least until I get all of them going to my new non-yahoo addresses I'm replacing them with.

          So despite taking a long time and not being a complete fix, I must say thank you to Yahoo for this change.

          --
          Gerry

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <sp1d3rc1d3r-ymug@...> wrote:

          > It was going on 3am when I wrote that reply, and reading it now it seems a tad 'not so nice'... So I will rephrase and just say I am through worrying about it personally. Now that I have access again to my DEAs, I'm working every day to lessen the dependency on my Yahoo account.
          >

          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <sp1d3rc1d3r-ymug@> wrote:
          > >
          > > There has been more than enough posts about it, and if you have a problem understanding then to be honest its not likely something you can comprehend or need to worry your self with.
          > >

          > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ruairi" <rhipkin05@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Could you forward on the chain of messages between yourself and Yahoo! Support to do with that ticket? I've been reading your post and I can't quite understand your point. It seems like you're rambling slightly matey.

        • makc666
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 28, 2010
            Two weeks have past since your answer below which was on "Mon Jun 14, 2010".

            Any news about this one?

            Thanks
            Maxim

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "mark_risher" <mrisher@...> wrote:

            > Hi, Gerry and others:
            >
            > The Y!Mail team is working on a solution to the Disposable Email Address issue raised on this discussion forum, and should have a fix rolling out very shortly to restore the folder routing of messages addressed to these aliases.
            >
            > Thanks for the continued diligence and your efforts to educate others on the group.
            >
            > /m

          • Gerry
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 28, 2010
              Maxim,

              My *existing* DEAs started routing correctly on 6/18... Did your not? Or did you create filters for them and can't really tell? I never created any filters as I was so ticked I just started weening myself from YMail... But again, on 6/18 they started going to their previously defined folders and no longer dumping into my Inbox.

              This is of course a band aid as it doesn't address the issue going forward with new DEAs (or the ability to change this routing with existing DEAs), the filter short-comings (of both capability and quantity), no individual spamguard, etc.

              --
              Gerry

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "makc666" <makc666@...> wrote:

              > Two weeks have past since your answer below which was on "Mon Jun 14, 2010".
              >
              > Any news about this one?
              >
              > Thanks
              > Maxim
              >
              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "mark_risher" <mrisher@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi, Gerry and others:
              > >
              > > The Y!Mail team is working on a solution to the Disposable Email Address issue raised on this discussion forum, and should have a fix rolling out very shortly to restore the folder routing of messages addressed to these aliases.
              > >
              > > Thanks for the continued diligence and your efforts to educate others on the group.
              > >
              > > /m

            • mark_risher
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 29, 2010
                Hi, all:

                Gerry is right -- the fix to handle routing of DEAs has already begun rolling out and most users should be seeing the legacy behavior of messages directed to the appropriate folders. This was the top priority to address.

                The user interface does not yet allow for *editing* these routing rules, unfortunately, so for now you're sort of "frozen in place." We are working on implementing the necessary controls but I don't have a precise estimate yet.

                I know this is disappointing, but trust you'll bear with us as we work on this and other high-priority projects for you all.

                Sincerely yours,
                --Mark R.
              • makc666
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 30, 2010
                  I checked some of folders and "Yes", it seems that something really had begin to work. :)

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 30, 2010
                    Thanks, Mark!

                    It is nice to hear about this one.

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "mark_risher" <mrisher@...> wrote:

                    > Hi, all:
                    >
                    > Gerry is right -- the fix to handle routing of DEAs has already begun rolling out and most users should be seeing the legacy behavior of messages directed to the appropriate folders. This was the top priority to address.
                    > --Mark R.
                  • makc666
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 20, 2010
                      Hi All!

                      Just wanted to say that for "Disposable Email Addresses" I can AGAIN use the options:
                      - Folder to deliver messages to
                      - Use Filters
                      - Use SpamGuard

                      See screeenshot.

                      http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4388/mailyahoocomdisposablee.png

                      Thanks to Yahoo Mail Team!

                      Maxim

                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "makc666" <makc666@...> wrote:

                      > I checked some of folders and "Yes", it seems that something really had begin to work. :)
                      >
                      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <sp1d3rc1d3r-ymug@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Maxim,
                      > >
                      > > My *existing* DEAs started routing correctly on 6/18... Did your not? Or did you create filters for them and can't really tell?

                    • littlebear2291
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 21, 2010
                        Yes!!! Me too!!! It's back!!!

                        Thanks Maxim for the update!

                        I spent *many* hours setting up filters for many (the most active ones) of my 300+ disposable email addresses back shortly after they removed the "Deliver To" functionality...and after chatting with a rep and expressing my *strong* displeasure with the change. While that ended up being a lot of time wasted now and that sucks, I am *ecstatic* that Yahoo! brought this functionality back!!! Woohoo!

                        Go Yahoo! Thank you for listening to your devoted customers! I was seriously considering migrating away, and I *know* I'm not the only one.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 22, 2010
                          I am also glad it had returned. :)

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 23, 2010
                            I am happy to final see this too... but I will not continue paying for the Plus account when mine is up in November. It simply takes Yahoo way to long to correct issues like this. I will no longer pay for any such service that has no SLA.