Increase in Spam...?

  • randall_shimizu
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 14, 2010
      Has anyone been noticing a slight increase in Spam. I was getting 2 or 3 spam emails. Recently it has increased to 7 or 8 a day. I notice that some of them come right after another late at night.
    • Ruairi
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 15, 2010
        Odd - I haven't been noticing anything out of the ordinary - in fact, my spam level seems to have dropped to one or two items rather than the three or four items that I'm used to getting.
        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "randall_shimizu" <randall.shimizu@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone been noticing a slight increase in Spam. I was getting 2 or 3 spam emails. Recently it has increased to 7 or 8 a day. I notice that some of them come right after another late at night.

      • Suzi
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 15, 2010
          I've gotten more spam too.

          ---
          Suzi
          IL Zone 5
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/puppykisses

          Has anyone been noticing a slight increase in Spam. I was getting 2 or 3 spam emails. Recently it has increased to 7 or 8 a day. I notice that some of them come right after another late at night.

              Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

        • makc666
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 28, 2010
            After I began to use this group I began to get huge number of SPAM messages to my email. There was never such number ever before for years.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "randall_shimizu" <randall.shimizu@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone been noticing a slight increase in Spam. I was getting 2 or 3 spam emails. Recently it has increased to 7 or 8 a day. I notice that some of them come right after another late at night.

          • littlebear2291
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 13, 2010
              Yes!!!! All of a sudden, starting right around May 15th, I started getting a lot of spam sent to a BUNCH of my disposable (i.e., Address Guard) email addresses!!! When those disposable addresses had been clean for years! You tell me...it happened to at least 10 +/- and counting (I am now tracking them) disposable email addresses all at the same time or within a few days of the start of this! All were used with *very* reputable and safe entities and in the *many* years I have used those very same email addresses, not a lick of spam from them. Then all of a sudden I'm getting spam sent to all of them?! ...Along with my original Yahoo! Mail/Mail Plus email address (i.e., the non-disposable address that is the foundation of my Yahoo! Email account). I had that address so tightly controlled (limited to just close friends and a few other reputable entities) to ensure that exactly this would not happen.

              Sure, I can go in and create new disposable addresses for the ones that--so far--have now been compromised, but (1) clearly the problem lies NOT with the entities to which those email addresses were tied, but with Yahoo! Email exposing those addresses to spammers or something from the Yahoo! side of things. CLEARLY! and (2) once I re-create new disposable addresses for the affected emails, I have to then change them with the associated entity. Then I can delete the problematic/compromised email addresses and, as well, sit and wait to see which other disposable addresses will be compromised from this "leak" (or whatever happened) that exposed who-knows-how-many of my other disposable addresses to spammers. Plus, now my original/non-address-guard Yahoo! email address is compromised. I can't delete that to fix it!! Grrr.

              Sorry for the rant. I am so fed up with Yahoo! Mail/Mail Plus. This all falls on top of them removing the "Send To" functionality with disposable email addresses, which is addressed in another thread.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 14, 2010
                You aren't the only one who saw an increase in spam. The spam seems to have diminished slightly, but can anyone account for the strange messages coming from the "Bank of Africa"? They are a real bank, based in Africa, so it looks very genuine to me...what do you think?

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "littlebear2291" <rs63@...> wrote:

                > Yes!!!! All of a sudden, starting right around May 15th, I started getting a lot of spam sent to a BUNCH of my disposable (i.e., Address Guard) email addresses!!! When those disposable addresses had been clean for years! You tell me...it happened to at least 10 +/- and counting (I am now tracking them) disposable email addresses all at the same time or within a few days of the start of this! All were used with *very* reputable and safe entities and in the *many* years I have used those very same email addresses, not a lick of spam from them. Then all of a sudden I'm getting spam sent to all of them?! ...Along with my original Yahoo! Mail/Mail Plus email address (i.e., the non-disposable address that is the foundation of my Yahoo! Email account). I had that address so tightly controlled (limited to just close friends and a few other reputable entities) to ensure that exactly this would not happen.
                >
                > Sure, I can go in and create new disposable addresses for the ones that--so far--have now been compromised, but (1) clearly the problem lies NOT with the entities to which those email addresses were tied, but with Yahoo! Email exposing those addresses to spammers or something from the Yahoo! side of things. CLEARLY! and (2) once I re-create new disposable addresses for the affected emails, I have to then change them with the associated entity. Then I can delete the problematic/compromised email addresses and, as well, sit and wait to see which other disposable addresses will be compromised from this "leak" (or whatever happened) that exposed who-knows-how-many of my other disposable addresses to spammers. Plus, now my original/non-address-guard Yahoo! email address is compromised. I can't delete that to fix it!! Grrr.
                >
                > Sorry for the rant. I am so fed up with Yahoo! Mail/Mail Plus. This all falls on top of them removing the "Send To" functionality with disposable email addresses, which is addressed in another thread.
                >

                > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "randall_shimizu" <randall.shimizu@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Has anyone been noticing a slight increase in Spam. I was getting 2 or 3 spam emails. Recently it has increased to 7 or 8 a day. I notice that some of them come right after another late at night.

              • Sasafrass452
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 14, 2010
                  That's a well known scam, don't fall for it!!

                  **Sasafrass452, aiBR Co-Moderator**

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 8, 2010
                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "randall_shimizu" <randall.shimizu@...> wrote:

                    > Has anyone been noticing a slight increase in Spam. I was getting 2 or 3 spam emails. Recently it has increased to 7 or 8 a day. I notice that some of them come right after another late at night.

                    The number of spams finally dropped back down to 2 or 3 a day in the beginning of August.
                  • king_kahoutek
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 12, 2010
                      Hard to believe they can't do something about spam. Such a waste of bandwidth, electricity, time. I get about 25 a day, and that is down from 75 or more in 2002.

                      Seems to me one team of 5 could cut the spam in half in a month.

                      Maybe the Powers that Be in the Internet World don't WANT to eliminate spam?

                      Spammer companies pay to have their spam sent. There must be a choke point somewhere.

                      Yahoo spam filters are good, if a little erratic. Sometimes something I want and receive regularly goes into the Spam Folder automatically.

                      And if I send myself an email to my own address, THAT is AUTOMATICALLY Spam. Go figure.

                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "randall_shimizu" <randall.shimizu@...> wrote:

                      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "randall_shimizu" <randall.shimizu@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Has anyone been noticing a slight increase in Spam. I was getting 2 or 3 spam emails. Recently it has increased to 7 or 8 a day. I notice that some of them come right after another late at night.
                      > >
                      > The number of spams finally dropped back down to 2 or 3 a day in the beginning of August.

                    • Harryh
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 13, 2010
                        It is rather remarkable that spam volume >> legitimate traffic. Today I received 275 'good' messages and had 400+ in my spam folder!

                        The real answer is adequate reporting plus responsive ISPs. Yahoo often does a disservice by not acting on proper spam complaints. For instance, in another account I use I receive a deluge of spam from one source originating from a Planet.com controlled IP 174.132.118.66. The spammer has managed to join many groups (that are poorly moderated) using various Yahoo IDs (multiples) either by tricking the capcha (probably) or paying someone for those IDs. They often are joe7z@yahoo or joe6e@yahoo, etc. Sadly the pattern is not always obvious. Then the poster with a given ID will post as "Aqsa Pasha" or "Bindya Sexy" then switch IDs and reuse those names. They will send in groups of 10-20 messages. Each message has slightly different subject headers but similar content. So the spammer is clever and used good generating software to elude Bayes detection. About the only way to defeat such a spammer is human reporting. Now, I've done that multiple
                        times and both Yahoo and Planet ignore me. So onto Spamcop for reporting. Spamcop reporting will usually target the Yahoo group server IP, not necessarily the real sender IP.

                        So Yahoo groups become a wonderful way to spam millions because the 'authorities' refuse to act. Their actions can be understood because the staff required to investigate is simply not there. Persistence pays off eventually, but it is irritating.

                        > something about spam. Such a waste of bandwidth,
                        > electricity, time. I get about 25 a day, and that is down
                        > from 75 or more in 2002.
                        >
                        > Seems to me one team of 5 could cut the spam in half in a
                        > month.
                        >
                        > Maybe the Powers that Be in the Internet World don't WANT
                        > to eliminate spam?
                        >
                        > Spammer companies pay to have their spam sent. There must
                        > be a choke point somewhere.

                      • king_kahoutek
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 13, 2010
                          And since posting here my spam has quadrupled. GREAT JOB, YAHOO!

                          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "king_kahoutek" <mcm1@...> wrote:

                          > Hard to believe they can't do something about spam. Such a waste of bandwidth, electricity, time. I get about 25 a day, and that is down from 75 or more in 2002.
                          >
                          > Seems to me one team of 5 could cut the spam in half in a month.
                          >
                          > Maybe the Powers that Be in the Internet World don't WANT to eliminate spam?
                          >
                          > Spammer companies pay to have their spam sent. There must be a choke point somewhere.
                          >
                          > Yahoo spam filters are good, if a little erratic. Sometimes something I want and receive regularly goes into the Spam Folder automatically.
                          >
                          > And if I send myself an email to my own address, THAT is AUTOMATICALLY Spam. Go figure.
                          >
                          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "randall_shimizu" <randall.shimizu@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "randall_shimizu" <randall.shimizu@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Has anyone been noticing a slight increase in Spam. I was getting 2 or 3 spam emails. Recently it has increased to 7 or 8 a day. I notice that some of them come right after another late at night.
                          > > >
                          > > The number of spams finally dropped back down to 2 or 3 a day in the beginning of August.

                        • Shal Farley
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 14, 2010
                            Harryh,

                            >So onto Spamcop for reporting. Spamcop reporting will usually
                            >target the Yahoo group server IP, not necessarily the real
                            >sender IP.

                            There's a work-around for that. After you paste the full headers onto Spamcop's form, look for all the "X-Received:" headers and trim off the two characters "X-" in each, so that it reads as an ordinary "Received:" header. When Yahoo Groups processes a message it converts all the inbound Received to X-Received, and Spamcop does not recognize X-Received.

                            -- Shal
                          • Harryh
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 15, 2010
                              How cool! Thanks for this, I now can do some damage.