Getting messages from GMail using POP in Yahoo Mail?

  • Henrique Junior
    Message 1 of 14 , May 30, 2010
      Hello everyone. I wonder if I can get messages from my GMail using " Options >> Accounts >> Receiving mail". If yes, can someone give me an example on how to get the options configured?
    • Mario Sergio M. Santos
      Message 2 of 14 , May 31, 2010
        Henrique, estou mandando o link abaixo, mas lhe digo que foi facin achar a URL usando o Google e o Yahoo.
        Até a próxima!

        http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/manage/manage-46.html;_ylt=AnAVTl4XXDr4LgOp6ran.nV_KCd4

        Mario Sergio

        Message 3 of 14 , May 31, 2010
          So, since GMail requires a SSL connection it is not going to work.

          Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

          Hello everyone. I wonder if I can get messages from my GMail using " Options >> Accounts >> Receiving mail". If yes, can someone give me an example on how to get the options configured?

        • justkenneth
          Message 4 of 14 , May 31, 2010
            Why bother using POP? You can auto-forward your messages from Gmail to Yahoo! which is slightly simpler than having to retrieve them. Then, from within Yahoo! Mail options, Accounts, Add Account, you can add your Gmail email as an external account from which you wish your emails composed in Yahoo! to appear to be sent.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Henrique Junior" <henrique_csj@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone. I wonder if I can get messages from my GMail using " Options >> Accounts >> Receiving mail". If yes, can someone give me an example on how to get the options configured?

          • Henrique de Castro
            Message 5 of 14 , May 31, 2010
              Yes, but I have tons of mail that I want to import.

              Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

              Why bother using POP? You can auto-forward your messages from Gmail to Yahoo! which is slightly simpler than having to retrieve them. Then, from within Yahoo! Mail options, Accounts, Add Account, you can add your Gmail email as an external account from which you wish your emails composed in Yahoo! to appear to be sent.

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Henrique Junior" <henrique_csj@...> wrote:

              > Hello everyone. I wonder if I can get messages from my GMail using " Options >> Accounts >> Receiving mail". If yes, can someone give me an example on how to get the options configured?

            • beq.name
              Message 6 of 14 , May 31, 2010
                If the user wants to (reliably) file the Gmail messages in a specific folder in Yahoo, it looks like fetching the messages via POP3 is now the only way to go. Setting up an external POP3 account in Yahoo still gives the option to file to a specific folder.

                It used to be that Yahoo Mail Plus accounts would also have the option to auto-forward Gmail messages to a Yahoo DEA which was configured to file to a specific folder.

                Yahoo has now taken away this option from the DEA feature, and using a recipient filtering rule for the folder filing is not a reliable substitute. The recipient filter only checks to To/Cc headers and thus will not catch messages received via Bcc (since the envelope recipient address is not listed in the To or Cc header).

              • manuel_yinc@att.net
                Message 7 of 14 , May 31, 2010
                  To Import Gmail Messages use TrueSwitch. In YMail click on Options, "import contacts", follow the instructions

                  To receive new Gmail Messages in Ymail: go to gmail, settings, "forwarding and Pop" and forward all your incoming mail to ymail.

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 31, 2010
                    Trueswitch will import contacts or emails? I think Henrique wants to import his already received emails from Gmail which is why auto-forwarding doesn't do all that he wants.

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 31, 2010
                      trueswitch used to be able to import emails as well: http://help.yahoo.com/l/sg/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/manage/manage-66.html

                      I dont know if that still works....

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 31, 2010
                        You are right justkenneth. Yahoo Mail will be changing in the end of 2010 to the middle of 2011. Lets hope that the new improvements and new interface really improves Yahoo Mail, because, at this time, it is missing a lot of "must have" features.

                        Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

                        De: justkenneth <justkenneth@...>
                        Para: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
                        Enviadas: Segunda-feira, 31 de Maio de 2010 18:20:09

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 31, 2010
                          Whoops, I forgot that Yahoo Mail apparently cannot retrieve messages from external accounts using POP3/SSL, only regular POP3?  And since Gmail requires the use of SSL, this is a problem (unless the user can run some kind of conversion proxy?).

                          I guess forwarding from Gmail would be the best way after all.  But it's still unfortunate that we can no longer auto-file to a different folder reliably.

                          P.S.  This Yahoo Mail blog post  from summer 2008 mentioned a short-lived experiment to add SSL support for external POP3 accounts, which did not work correctly and had to be rolled back.  Too bad...

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 31, 2010
                            Hmmm, perhaps it does. I didn't proceed down the path far enough to see what would happen since it was Henrique who is looking to do this, not me. Perhaps he can test it out ...

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 31, 2010
                              Trueswith is importing only contacts now.
                              Well, I have an ugly solution: first I marked all my messages to be downloaded via POP3 in Gmail, then, I created another GMail account and activated forwarding to my Yahoo Mail, them, imported all the messages from my old GMail to the new GMaill (that forwards it all to my Yahoo Mail).
                              It is not elegant, but works. =)

                              Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior

                              De: justkenneth <justkenneth@...>
                              Para: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
                              Enviadas: Segunda-feira, 31 de Maio de 2010 20:04:11

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010
                                Quite ingenious, I like it!