Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Farmville in Y! Mail ?... Oh Com'on !!!!!

  • Ryan Lee
    Message 1 of 11 , May 26, 2010
      My understanding of the news is that this isn't really a new Mail feature.
      It's an integration across Y! properties, including Mail.

      Within mail, I'm guessing/hoping that it's an app that you can choose to install or not.
      So for those who don't install it, nothing really changes.

      Message 2 of 11 , May 26, 2010
        Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Farmville in Y! Mail ?... Oh Com'on !!!!! Howdy,

        Well although I work for Yahoo! Mail, I am on the Contacts product and am not involved in any strategy in any case (this thread is the first I’ve heard of the Zynga deal, if that puts things in perspective) so I’ll respond as a user of Mail: I think this is a good idea. First of all, you choose what apps to install or participate in, there is no real reason why more app choice is a bad thing in my mind. Second, when I am talking to my dentist or my mother or other folks in that generation, they seems to be going to Facebook for two reasons: share pictures and engage their relatives in these social games. If we can bring those people to Yahoo!, where they are more comfortable and I like to think we are more conscious of issues of privacy, that is great! You can call it work vs. play if you like, but I think about it in terms of communication and relationships. These people are using these games to stay in touch and “play” with their loved ones, I think that is awesome. Yahoo! Mail has an interest in maintaining relevance in ALL forms of communication, even social games. IMHO.

        it sounds like the real complaint, though, is that resources will be spent on this rather than on productivity apps within Yahoo!. This is my personal opinion and not official, but I am going to guess that this isn’t going to be a big resource drain in a bad way. In other words, the OpenMail infrastructure can only benefit from having to scale to a Zynga level. OpenMail being the platform on which these apps are developed. If we can handle Zynga-level scale, we should be able to handle just about anything.

        To answer G’s question, productivity apps:

        “Cloud” Notes integration: We need a sort of neutral interface that can sync with SimpleNote, Evernote, and their ilk on-line, that allows me to drag-and-drop sections of emails to create new notes. If they integrate with (3rd party of my choice) then I can easily get these notes on my iPhone or whatever (basically adding Mail to my already existing workflow)

        “Cloud” Todos integration: As above, but with various 3rd party on-line todo apps (Remember The Milk comes to mind, I don’t really know others). Same deal: drag-n-drop, on-line syncing, my choice of sync provider, etc. When we were first starting out a few people hacked out a really basic version of this, but a full-fledged solution would be nice, and it would be nice if it were Yahoo! branded and we just integrate with on-line data providers. Same with Notes above. So we provide the generic interface and allow sync to whatever on-line service is willing to work with us.

        With Calendar and Contacts syncing already pretty decent and getting better, we would have a constellation of cloud productivity with the two problems above solved.

        For fun apps, I would love to see better photo management in Mail, specifically photos vs. other attachments. Although I guess a *cough* Google Docs integration would be pretty sweet for MS-format attachments. Really any service that could render MS docs in-line so I do not have to download anything or leave Mail.

        My $0.02.

        Peace,
        Craig

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Y-Mail%40yahoogroups.com> , G Pollara <gpollara@...> wrote:

        > Well, I'm not quite so annoyed. I'm just a little disappointed that this is a new product that I won't really use, mainly cos I don't have time to go on the internet and play games. I can see how it might increase advertising revenue and time spent on Yahoo sites, so financially this makes sense for them. However it does increase Yahoo's perception as a place to play rather than work. Beginning to think that Google with its suite of apps is a better place for me. Shame.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Paula McCartney
        Message 3 of 11 , May 26, 2010
          I ditched Yahoo's task list for Remember the Milk for two reasons:  1, I could use repeating tasks and not have to put them on my calendar, and 2, it syncs with Cloud Tasks which is free for my Palm Pre.  That allows me to have a task application on my phone and on my computer (well, online, but through the laptop) that offers sync with my Palm Pre (I hate trying to enter tasks, calendar events and contacts on the phone) plus the ability to set up every Monday's agenda printing and distribution as a repeating task so I don't have to enter it every week or clutter my calendar with a task instead of an event.

          I like the calendar with Yahoo with the exception of one thing:  I would much prefer to be able to simply tag a calendar event as personal or work, and have it color coded, than to have to create a different "calendar" for each of these types of events.  (I use Yahoo's calendar as my default on the Pre because I don't like Palm's calendar because there is no desktop application for it.)

          I guess I was spoiled with Franklin Covey's and Palm Desktop's interface and sync with my Palm TX.  If someone could make a calendar and task program that took the best from these two and created one great big honkin' application that would sync with the phone, I'd think I was in heaven.

          In His Grip,
          Paula McCartney

          "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  2 Timothy 1:7
          http://www.bereanhouston.org/

          Seriously this is driving me insane.hpw can we seriously announce Zinga games integration when the competition unveils plenty of new aweseom stuff ?

          I'm not asking for "Work" features because it's not what Yahoo! is all about. However I'm expecting at least for Yahoo Mail to match the direct competition. That is: not gmail with targets geeks but Hotmail or AOL Mail

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com <mailto:Y-Mail% 40yahoogroups. com> , G Pollara <gpollara@...> wrote:

          > Well, I'm not quite so annoyed. I'm just a little disappointed that this is a new product that I won't really use, mainly cos I don't have time to go on the internet and play games. I can see how it might increase advertising revenue and time spent on Yahoo sites, so financially this makes sense for them. However it does increase Yahoo's perception as a place to play rather than work. Beginning to think that Google with its suite of apps is a better place for me. Shame.
          >

          > ____________ _________ _________ __

        • Shal Farley
          Message 4 of 11 , May 26, 2010
            G Pollara,

            >Out of interest, if you (plural) are not keen on this latest
            >product plan, what kind of new Yahoo Mail innovations would you
            >like to see? Perhaps once we get enough suggestions, we could
            >turn this question into a poll.

            There's a more general way to handle Suggestions...
            <http://suggestions.yahoo.com/>

            If only we could convince the powers that be to create one for Mail.
            Got one for Groups, just need one for Mail...

            -- Shal
            Message 5 of 11 , May 27, 2010
              I agree Ryan - key is the choice so that for those not interested, it doesn't cause any problems.

              You may also be correct about the fact it may not be a mail application. Probably just a front page one. I can see the advantage as everyone, including non-Yahoo mail users, can access the front page, but the front page to me is a passing moment in the day, whereas Mail is open all day. Anyhow, we'll see how it's implemented.

              Message 6 of 11 , May 27, 2010
                Hi Craig

                Thank you for your comments First of all I'd like to say that the Contacts section in Yahoo Mail is excellent. Good work there, especially on duplicate name entries and Facebook integration. It just works.

                As for Mail - I agree that more apps is not a bad thing at all. As mentioned in another post, as long as people have a choice, that's great. I may even begin to play Farmville! And I take your point about being about to pull off doing something on the scale of these games - not only will it make it technically feasible, but also more attractive to other companies.

                I'm pleased you also would like to see productivity type extensions to Mail. All of your suggestions would be very useful. Synchronising mail, calendar and To Dos across mail and on mobile platforms would be a reall good strategy in my opinion. Personally, the key is not to just allow a company to develop an app that is a clone of their website in some way, but to integrate it into what Y Mail offers. So, as you say, not just an app to see Evernote notes, but one where content in YMail could be added as a note or, akin to the Flickr app, Evernote content can quickly be flipped into an email.

                The document viewer, agree with similar tickly feeling at back of throat!

                Cheers

                Gabriel

                Seriously this is driving me insane.hpw can we seriously announce Zinga games integration when the competition unveils plenty of new aweseom stuff ?

                I'm not asking for "Work" features because it's not what Yahoo! is all about. However I'm expecting at least for Yahoo Mail to match the direct competition. That is: not gmail with targets geeks but Hotmail or AOL Mail

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com <mailto:Y-Mail% 40yahoogroups. com> , G Pollara <gpollara@...> wrote:

                > Well, I'm not quite so annoyed. I'm just a little disappointed that this is a new product that I won't really use, mainly cos I don't have time to go on the internet and play games. I can see how it might increase advertising revenue and time spent on Yahoo sites, so financially this makes sense for them. However it does increase Yahoo's perception as a place to play rather than work. Beginning to think that Google with its suite of apps is a better place for me. Shame.

              • GuillaumeB
                Message 7 of 11 , May 27, 2010
                  Well, yeh of course it's gonna be an application ! And of course i'm gonna have the choice to activate it or not. What bothers me is, as you said, that Yahoo should spend some time on this overly minor features in my opinion. In fact i hope they won't spend one single minute on it and that it will be done by a third party dev.

                  Also what bothers me is that Yahoo! should spend some times promoting these kind of features !!! This is the core of the problem. Yahoo has been promoting Facebook and Twitter inside Yahoo Mail for the past 6 months ... when the others are unveiling real true features.

                  Instead, those real true features, like the calendar as a tab in Yahoo Mail seems to have been forgotten. This feature was announced on February 17th with the mention "Adding the Calendar to a tab in the All-New mail will be coming soon"...

                  It seems that as Yahoo is trying to focus its strategy and be a media company the Mail team has lost its passion for innovation and technology. Even Yahoo does not want to create cool new mail applications. And what's wrong with the calendar which was unveiled in beta in Oct 2008 ? Should i mention the Yahoo Mail Plus subscription unchanged since its introduction in Nov 2002 ?

                  Last time i spoke to Gregory Talon, PM at Yahoo Mail Europe in London, he told me there were over 1000 people working on Yahoo! Mail. I have absolutly no idea what those employees are paid for but this is certainly not for having innovating ideas.

                  I could go on and on but the purpose of this message is not to keep complaining but rather trying to understand this stagnant feeling many of us seem to be having these days.