Re: [Y-Mail] 4 pessimist thoughts about Yahoo! Mail

    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 2010
      Hello all. Interesting points raised.

      I'm fairly open minded about the new hotmail changes. Willing to see how they're implemented first. However I agree that the Exchange access that hotmail will provide easily trumps yahoo's very limited access options. Specifically I really wish they offered at least some Android support. This operating system is the one growing the fastest and it's astonishing that yahoo hasn't produced anything yet for it. This is.especially the.case given that such users will have ready-made for them a Gmail inbox sitting there waiting to be used. At first obstacle to use yahoo, many will just switch to gmail. I have spoken to many people in exactly this scenario. I can only use POP because I have a Plus account. The webmail version is very good but just not as fast, convenient or available offline.

      The other thing I worry about.for yahoo is the focus of the mail product. Bartz mentioned on Monday that new products will come in Mail next month. I'm sure she means integration with Facebook, etc.. per se, that's absolutely fine, but you touch on an important aspect, which is functionality and speed of the.main product, which mustn't be sacrificed.

      In addition, it seems that yahoo's mail offering is very much leaning towards the social life aspect of things, etc, whereas there seems little emphasis on turning it into a functional suite of products for work related functions as well. I worry that the.concept of integrating applications into mail, while initially novel, will be implemented better elsewhere, perhaps even Hotmail in the end!

      Here end my main concerns.