Re: Disposable email not going to designated folder

  • Gerry
    Message 1 of 12 , May 20, 2010
      Same here Lloyd... I have hundreds of disposable addresses that all were going to their own respective folders. But now they are cluttering up my Inbox. I too may be ditching my paid account after being with them since 1999. Every year that goes by there is less and less incentive to pay them money.

      --
      Gerald

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "lloyd" <lmhaskins@...> wrote:

      > Of course, I like replying to my own message.
      >
      > If you look at the Y-Mail blog
      > <http://www.ymailblog.com/blog/2010/05/changes-to-yahoo-mail-options-dis\
      > posable-email-addresses/> , you'll see the exact scenario mentioned, so
      > it's been planned.
      >
      > Still disappointing.
      >
      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "lloyd" <lmhaskins@> wrote:
      > >
      > > [Before I start, the latest message that I can see on this board is
      > from
      > > May 3, 2010 5:35 pm; what's up with no messages for 15 days?]
      > >
      > > Today (5/18/2010), I noticed that email going to my disposable
      > addresses
      > > is going to my Inbox instead of the specified folders. When I went to
      > > look at the settings for a couple of my addresses, I noticed a new
      > > interface for disposable addresses in that it's no longer in the
      > > old-style Options page but now has a new page under the "new" email
      > > settings. It only now lets me modify the address keyword (what comes
      > > after basename-), optional color indicator, the "From" name for that
      > > address, and any notes. There is no longer an option to specify the
      > > destination folder, plus I can no longer say whether email to this
      > > address should be filtered or possibly sent to the Spam folder.
      > >
      > > In place of being able to specify the destination folder, there is a
      > > general link for managing filters, even though it says "...for
      > > disposable addresses."
      > >
      > > What this means is that I now have to go through all of my disposable
      > > addresses--I have 187--and set destination folders for each manually.
      > > Plus I have to reorder the new ones since I have very general filters
      > at
      > > the end of the list to sweep up emails that made it through the
      > earlier
      > > filters.
      > >
      > > Disposable addresses are what keeps me from going to Gmail. Being
      > able
      > > to easily specify folders was part of that.
      > >
      > > Bad move, Yahoo Mail!
      > >

      > > Lloyd

    • Gerry
      Message 2 of 12 , May 20, 2010
        Disposable Email Addresses are what kept me with Yahoo too. I se no reason to pay for the 'Plus' account any more as there is no longer a 'Plus'. I have hundreds of disposable emails addresses and was already using a lot of my filter quota... So I have don;t have enough filter available to accomplish the task. You would think that if they were going to do this they would have upped the max on filters.

        Even with unlimited filters... defining them all again would be a big task. Afer 11 years with Yahoo they have finally managed to run off this paying customer. I know... I know... don't let the door hit ya... :-)

        Message 3 of 12 , May 21, 2010
          Gerry, whilst I don't have this issue you have with redirecting disposable email addresses, your point in principle is correct. When one pays a fee, you expect something in return. Other than the disposable email addresses and no adverts, there seem few benefits left to a Plus account now. Presumably Yahoo makes more money on click through advertising on non-paid accounts than the Plus ones. If not, then this is not a good customer retention scheme. If you're not paying for something regularly, it makes it that much easier to move to a rival service.

          Disposable Email Addresses are what kept me with Yahoo too. I se no reason to pay for the 'Plus' account any more as there is no longer a 'Plus'. I have hundreds of disposable emails addresses and was already using a lot of my filter quota... So I have don;t have enough filter available to accomplish the task. You would think that if they were going to do this they would have upped the max on filters.

          Even with unlimited filters... defining them all again would be a big task. Afer 11 years with Yahoo they have finally managed to run off this paying customer. I know... I know... don't let the door hit ya... :-)

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "lloyd" <lmhaskins@...> wrote:

          > [Before I start, the latest message that I can see on this board is from
          > May 3, 2010 5:35 pm; what's up with no messages for 15 days?]
          >
          > Today (5/18/2010), I noticed that email going to my disposable addresses
          > is going to my Inbox instead of the specified folders. When I went to
          > look at the settings for a couple of my addresses, I noticed a new
          > interface for disposable addresses in that it's no longer in the
          > old-style Options page but now has a new page under the "new" email
          > settings. It only now lets me modify the address keyword (what comes
          > after basename-), optional color indicator, the "From" name for that
          > address, and any notes. There is no longer an option to specify the
          > destination folder, plus I can no longer say whether email to this
          > address should be filtered or possibly sent to the Spam folder.
          >
          > In place of being able to specify the destination folder, there is a
          > general link for managing filters, even though it says "...for
          > disposable addresses."
          >
          > What this means is that I now have to go through all of my disposable
          > addresses--I have 187--and set destination folders for each manually.
          > Plus I have to reorder the new ones since I have very general filters at
          > the end of the list to sweep up emails that made it through the earlier
          > filters.
          >
          > Disposable addresses are what keeps me from going to Gmail. Being able
          > to easily specify folders was part of that.
          >
          > Bad move, Yahoo Mail!
          >

          > Lloyd

        • Paula McCartney
          Message 4 of 12 , May 21, 2010
            Since I use Firefox, with AdBlock Plus, the advantage of my Plus account has dwindled down now to what?  No blank boxes on my screen (which admittedly is very nice)?  I wouldn't see the ads, but they leave a blank box, so I pay for Plus so I have more real estate to use.

            Disposable email addresses (I use a grand total of one when I go to websites) that don't filter to a folder?

            Did they also take away larger file size advantage in sending emails and give it to everyone?

            What about POP access?  Is that now available to all?

            At this point, I'm thinking I could take that $20 a year, notice no difference in my email experience, and got to Carrabba's one more time a year.

            So, someone tell me:  what exactly are the perks that a Plus account gives you?  I'm not into throwing away money for no reason.

            In His Grip,
            Paula McCartney

            "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  2 Timothy 1:7
            http://www.bereanhouston.org/

            Gerry, whilst I don't have this issue you have with redirecting disposable email addresses, your point in principle is correct. When one pays a fee, you expect something in return. Other than the disposable email addresses and no adverts, there seem few benefits left to a Plus account now. Presumably Yahoo makes more money on click through advertising on non-paid accounts than the Plus ones. If not, then this is not a good customer retention scheme. If you're not paying for something regularly, it makes it that much easier to move to a rival service.

            Disposable Email Addresses are what kept me with Yahoo too. I se no reason to pay for the 'Plus' account any more as there is no longer a 'Plus'. I have hundreds of disposable emails addresses and was already using a lot of my filter quota... So I have don;t have enough filter available to accomplish the task. You would think that if they were going to do this they would have upped the max on filters.

            Even with unlimited filters... defining them all again would be a big task. Afer 11 years with Yahoo they have finally managed to run off this paying customer. I know... I know... don't let the door hit ya... :-)

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "lloyd" <lmhaskins@.. .> wrote:

            > [Before I start, the latest message that I can see on this board is from
            > May 3, 2010 5:35 pm; what's up with no messages for 15 days?]
            >
            > Today (5/18/2010), I noticed that email going to my disposable addresses
            > is going to my Inbox instead of the specified folders. When I went to
            > look at the settings for a couple of my addresses, I noticed a new
            > interface for disposable addresses in that it's no longer in the
            > old-style Options page but now has a new page under the "new" email
            > settings. It only now lets me modify the address keyword (what comes
            > after basename-), optional color indicator, the "From" name for that
            > address, and any notes. There is no longer an option to specify the
            > destination folder, plus I can no longer say whether email to this
            > address should be filtered or possibly sent to the Spam folder.
            >
            > In place of being able to specify the destination folder, there is a
            > general link for managing filters, even though it says "...for
            > disposable addresses."
            >
            > What this means is that I now have to go through all of my disposable
            > addresses--I have 187--and set destination folders for each manually.
            > Plus I have to reorder the new ones since I have very general filters at
            > the end of the list to sweep up emails that made it through the earlier
            > filters.
            >
            > Disposable addresses are what keeps me from going to Gmail. Being able
            > to easily specify folders was part of that.
            >
            > Bad move, Yahoo Mail!
            >

            > Lloyd

          • Gerry
            Message 5 of 12 , May 22, 2010
              Paula,

              Here are the perks of a Plus account as listed by Yahoo:

              http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/enhancements/mailplus

              --
              Gerry

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Paula McCartney <paulabbc@...> wrote:

              > Since I use Firefox, with AdBlock Plus, the advantage of my Plus account has dwindled down now to what? No blank boxes on my screen (which admittedly is very nice)? I wouldn't see the ads, but they leave a blank box, so I pay for Plus so I have more real estate to use.
              >
              > Disposable email addresses (I use a grand total of one when I go to websites) that don't filter to a folder?
              >
              > Did they also take away larger file size advantage in sending emails and give it to everyone?
              >
              > What about POP access? Is that now available to all?
              >
              > At this point, I'm thinking I could take that $20 a year, notice no difference in my email experience, and got to Carrabba's one more time a year.
              >
              > So, someone tell me: what exactly are the perks that a Plus account gives you? I'm not into throwing away money for no reason.
              >

              > In His Grip,
              > Paula McCartney
              > "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7
              > http://www.bereanhouston.org/
              >
              > ________________________________

            • h.hans
              Message 6 of 12 , May 29, 2010
                Hmm, I tried to reply to another post on this topic (post number 19134, "ALERT: Yahoo! Mail Plus subscribers - Yahoo! Disposable Email Addres"), and it said the message was posted, but it does not appear. Perhaps there is a long delay for moderator review?

                You may be interested to know that, even if you set up the filters the way Yahoo now says, it still won't do 100% accurate folder delivery as it did in the past. Now, even with the correct filters, most, if not all, spam, as well as legitimate mail (such as those marked "undisclosed recipients"), will wind up in your Inbox (contrary to their promotional claims). This is because they changed the mechanism to some kind of "fuzzy logic", apparently. I reported this to Yahoo Customer Care and they declined to pursue this as an issue. For further details, see my article "Did Yahoo break Disposable Email Addresses" on Usenet and Cnet.

                In the above-mentioned reply that did not appear, I mentioned that maybe this is Yahoo's way of trying to "end of life" Mail Plus and migrate users off of it. I was sort of half-joking, but reading the comment below about click-throughs makes me wonder.

                A variety of additional issues with the recent changes to AddressGuard were posted on Yahoo Buzz (see the user comments below the article):

                http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/1:yahoo_mail_bl498:860287c0a8cdafa3e226c0446d803e73/Changes-to-Yahoo-Mail-Options-Disposable-Email-Addresses

                > Gerry, whilst I don't have this issue you have with redirecting disposable email addresses, your point in principle is correct. When one pays a fee, you expect something in return. Other than the disposable email addresses and no adverts, there seem few benefits left to a Plus account now. Presumably Yahoo makes more money on click through advertising on non-paid accounts than the Plus ones. If not, then this is not a good customer retention scheme. If you're not paying for something regularly, it makes it that much easier to move to a rival service.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • beq.name
                Message 7 of 12 , May 29, 2010
                  The reason is that the recipient filters only look at the To/Cc headers.  Spam and other messages sent to you by Bcc (where your address is *not* listed in the To or Cc header) will not be caught by these filters.  It's an old gripe .

                  In other words the filters are not a real substitute for the DEA feature's previous ability to specify which folder to deliver messages to (which worked 100% of the time, even for messages received by Bcc).

                  At least messages fetched from external POP3 accounts still have the option to specify the delivery folder...

                  See also this thread  on emaildiscussions.com.

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "h.hans" <hans11@...> wrote:

                  > Hmm, I tried to reply to another post on this topic (post number 19134, "ALERT: Yahoo! Mail Plus subscribers - Yahoo! Disposable Email Addres"), and it said the message was posted, but it does not appear. Perhaps there is a long delay for moderator review?
                  >
                  > You may be interested to know that, even if you set up the filters the way Yahoo now says, it still won't do 100% accurate folder delivery as it did in the past. Now, even with the correct filters, most, if not all, spam, as well as legitimate mail (such as those marked "undisclosed recipients"), will wind up in your Inbox (contrary to their promotional claims). This is because they changed the mechanism to some kind of "fuzzy logic", apparently. I reported this to Yahoo Customer Care and they declined to pursue this as an issue. For further details, see my article "Did Yahoo break Disposable Email Addresses" on Usenet and Cnet.
                  >
                  > In the above-mentioned reply that did not appear, I mentioned that maybe this is Yahoo's way of trying to "end of life" Mail Plus and migrate users off of it. I was sort of half-joking, but reading the comment below about click-throughs makes me wonder.
                  >
                  > A variety of additional issues with the recent changes to AddressGuard were posted on Yahoo Buzz (see the user comments below the article):
                  >
                  > http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/1:yahoo_mail_bl498:860287c0a8cdafa3e226c0446d803e73/Changes-to-Yahoo-Mail-Options-Disposable-Email-Addresses
                  >

                  > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, G Pollara gpollara@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Gerry, whilst I don't have this issue you have with redirecting disposable email addresses, your point in principle is correct. When one pays a fee, you expect something in return. Other than the disposable email addresses and no adverts, there seem few benefits left to a Plus account now. Presumably Yahoo makes more money on click through advertising on non-paid accounts than the Plus ones. If not, then this is not a good customer retention scheme. If you're not paying for something regularly, it makes it that much easier to move to a rival service.
                  > >
                  > > ________________________________

                • beq.name
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 30, 2010
                    From what I recall, users of the free Yahoo Mail in other countries automatically get POP access, and users in the U.S. can always add POP access for free if they don't already have it (by temporarily switching to an international locale and then back).  Discussions on this can be found via a Google search.

                    I also suggest adding the Greasemonkey and Stylish extensions to your Firefox (in addition to Adblock Plus).  These extensions in turn let you install small, pre-made user scripts (JavaScript) and user styles (CSS) that customize how various websites look and function.  Many are available.

                    For example, this removes the (blank) ad boxes in Yahoo Mail:
                    Yahoo Mail Ad Removal -- installs in Greasemonkey

                    This lets your browser save your Yahoo Mail login password:
                    Yahoo Autocomplete On -- installs in Greasemonkey

                    This removes the ad boxes in Windows Live Hotmail:
                    Windows Live Ad Remover -- installs in Greasemonkey

                    Each of these removes the text ads from the right side of Gmail/Google Apps, and relocates the action links (New window, Print all, etc) up top.  Take your pick:
                    Gmail - Remove Ads and Relocate Action Links (Alt) -- installs in Stylish or Greasemonkey
                    Gmail - Remove Ads and Relocate Action Links (Alt2) -- installs in Stylish or Greasemonkey
                    Gmail - Remove Ads and Relocate Action Links (Original) -- installs in Stylish or Greasemonkey

                    P.S.  My wife would probably use that $20 to go to Carino's (like Carrabba's there's at least one on 1960, and another near Sugar Land). :)

                  • Gerry
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 30, 2010
                      Yes moderation appears to be slow here. Your other reply did finally show up as I'm sure you eventually saw. I'm now waiting as well. :-(

                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "h.hans" <hans11@...> wrote:

                      > Hmm, I tried to reply to another post on this topic (post number 19134, "ALERT: Yahoo! Mail Plus subscribers - Yahoo! Disposable Email Addres"), and it said the message was posted, but it does not appear. Perhaps there is a long delay for moderator review?

                    • Sasafrass452
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 30, 2010
                        I have noticed delays recently. I think Yahoo is having other issues, as well.

                        **Sasafrass452, aiBR Co-Moderator**

                            Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com