Your thoughts on the new Hotmail...

  • GuillaumeB
    Message 1 of 12 , May 19, 2010
      ...and what it implies.

      So i'm sure many of you have seen what the next gen Hotmail will look like. What do you think about it ?
      it seems Microsoft it directly targeting Gmail user (http://www.windowslivepreview.com/hotmail/compare/) even though the direct competitor still is Yahoo! Mail and its 350 million users.

      Do you think the new hotmail will be more powerful than Yahoo! Mail ?
      Are there any features you wish would be implemented in Yahoo! Mail in the future ?`
    • Rebekah ·
      Message 2 of 12 , May 19, 2010
        Guillaume,
        The new Hotmail/Live might be powerful but I doubt that the vast majority of people ever change email address. New users might go for it. Speaking of email addresses: Your email address is the coolest I've ever seen :)
        I'm still in amazement that Yahoo Mail charge for POP/forwarding.
        Bonne journée from Canada..

        --
        http://junipurr.net
      • Suzi
        Message 3 of 12 , May 19, 2010
          That is interesting..
          I have a hotmail account and would love it to be more functional than it is now.
          As for being more powerful.. I guess we will have to wait and see.

          ---
          Suzi
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/puppykisses
          IL Zone 5

              Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 12 , May 19, 2010
            Hiya. Very timely post this. Mixed emotions on the new Hotmail. First of all I should add that there s very little there that would make me want to jump from yahoo to hotmail. However, I agree that I find it incredible that Microsoft is pitching straight up against gmail rather than yahoo. Possibly it s because many of those new features that gmail doesn t have, are already present in yahoo. Namely, these are unlimited storage, large attachment sizes and filters for emails from people in your address book (including those imported from Facebook).

            What is frustrating is how many of these Yahoo features are not necessarily so well advertised or known about. Or perhaps it s just a matter of perception. Irrespective of the features list, my professional colleagues would almost universally open a gmail account if they had to pick a new webmail address at the.moment. Sadly, that s the cool brand of the day, end of story.

            To give credit to Microsoft, there are a few good features in their preview. The option of threaded messages is a good one, and is sorely missing in yahoo mail (especially given that it was present in zimbra desktop when yahoo still owned it). Secondly, the ability to open attachments straight into office 2010 (or any web office app) is a smart and very useful move, especially if it eases collaboration on work documents. Yahoo still has the potential to do that through its under-utilised applications.

            Finally, I hope that like when gmail first came out, this latest hotmail release will encourage competition and innovation in the webmail market. Email is after all still the centre of web communication, and the potential to extend its reach and functionality is still large.

            On Wed, 19 May 2010 11:12 BST GuillaumeB wrote:

            >...and what it implies.
            >
            >So i'm sure many of you have seen what the next gen Hotmail will look like. What do you think about it ?
            >it seems Microsoft it directly targeting Gmail user (http://www.windowslivepreview.com/hotmail/compare/) even though the direct competitor still is Yahoo! Mail and its 350 million users.
            >
            >Do you think the new hotmail will be more powerful than Yahoo! Mail ?
            >Are there any features you wish would be implemented in Yahoo! Mail in the future ?`

          • Joseph Singer
            Message 5 of 12 , May 19, 2010
              On May 19, 2010, at 03:12, GuillaumeB wrote:

              > So i'm sure many of you have seen what the next gen Hotmail will
              > look like. What do you think about it ?
              > it seems Microsoft it directly targeting Gmail user (http://www.windowslivepreview.com/hotmail/compare/
              > ) even though the direct competitor still is Yahoo! Mail and its 350
              > million users.
              >
              > Do you think the new hotmail will be more powerful than Yahoo! Mail ?
              > Are there any features you wish would be implemented in Yahoo! Mail
              > in the future ?`

              Better easier to configure filters. I've yet to have Yahoo mail
              filters work well in any significant way whereas with gmail the
              filters always work.

              + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +
              Joseph Singer
              weekilter@...
              Message 6 of 12 , May 19, 2010
                As well as regular filters, the OtherInbox (aka Automatic Organizer) app works pretty  well I find.

                On May 19, 2010, at 03:12, GuillaumeB wrote:

                > So i'm sure many of you have seen what the next gen Hotmail will
                > look like. What do you think about it ?
                > it seems Microsoft it directly targeting Gmail user (http://www.windowslivepreview.com/hotmail/compare/
                > ) even though the direct competitor still is Yahoo! Mail and its 350
                > million users.
                >
                > Do you think the new hotmail will be more powerful than Yahoo! Mail ?
                > Are there any features you wish would be implemented in Yahoo! Mail
                > in the future ?`

                Better easier to configure filters. I've yet to have Yahoo mail
                filters work well in any significant way whereas with gmail the
                filters always work.

                + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +
                Joseph Singer
                weekilter@...

              • Sasafrass452

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 19, 2010
                    For the font, have you tried the application "Fontself"? Has quite an eclectic choice in there!

                    For Yahoo Mail, I'd like to see a "not in addressbook" filter, more font choices, & a default text color option.

                    **Sasafrass452, aiBR Co-Moderator* *

                    On 05/19/2010 06:12 AM, GuillaumeB wrote:
                    ...and what it implies.

                    So i'm sure many of you have seen what the next gen Hotmail will look like. What do you think about it ?
                    it seems Microsoft it directly targeting Gmail user (http://www.windowsl ivepreview. com/hotmail/ compare/) even though the direct competitor still is Yahoo! Mail and its 350 million users.

                    Do you think the new hotmail will be more powerful than Yahoo! Mail ?
                    Are there any features you wish would be implemented in Yahoo! Mail in the future ?`

                    ------------ --------- --------- ------

                    YAHOO MAIL OFFICIAL CUSTOMER SUPPORT is available at : http://is.gd/ 54K8A ***Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Y-Mail/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Y-Mail/ join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: Y-Mail-digest@ yahoogroups. com

                  • GuillaumeB
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 20, 2010
                      AFAIAC, I have illustrated several concepts for Y!Mail few months ago:
                      http://goo.gl/7mBz

                      The big point in the new Hotmail will be Microsoft Exchange support.. simply a killer feature IMO... and something Yahoo! should have done first to get ahead of the competitors : http://goo.gl/CZLG

                      > For the font, have you tried the application "Fontself"? Has quite an eclectic choice in there!
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Sumit Mehta

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 20, 2010
                          I agree that Microsoft Exchange would have been good. I wonder whether the fact it s Microsoft technology it makes it easier to be implemented for Hotmail. Not sure of the technicalities though.

                          Generally, the concept that yahoo in the past hasn t been able to make a jump start on rivals despite having a head start, has been seen before. Just saw that Gmail will soon allow 3rd party apps. I fully expect to see this expand quickly. Sadly yahoo has had this feature for well over a year and the total number of apps is barely into double.figures. I worry that this may turn out to be a missed opportunity to really create an advantage over rival mail platforms.

                          On Thu, 20 May 2010 08:24 BST GuillaumeB wrote:

                          >AFAIAC, I have illustrated several concepts for Y!Mail few months ago:
                          >http://goo.gl/7mBz
                          >
                          >The big point in the new Hotmail will be Microsoft Exchange support.. simply a killer feature IMO... and something Yahoo! should have done first to get ahead of the competitors : http://goo.gl/CZLG
                          >

                          >--- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, G Pollara <gpollara@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> For the font, have you tried the application "Fontself"? Has quite an eclectic choice in there!

                        • Goutam Nath
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 20, 2010

                            I’ve been using Yahoo Mail around a decade now, and throughout this time the webmail interface has been steadily updated to include newer features. And ofcourse, considering some of the replies I have seen from the guys, they have a quite a long list to implement.

                            I was writing something about Microsoft, would you believe if I said that my Outlook (which has never crashed) just recovered from a crash? So, I’ve decided against it J