Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Weird email from Yahoo about Yahoo Mail... What does this mean?

    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2010
      I was also a bit confused by this, but agree that it doesn t seem to be a big deal. I received 3 emails, confirming my primary username@..., my alias@... and also the stem of all my disposable email addresses setup through address guard. So in essence, I struggle to see what s changed, but it would be good if Yahoo informed us that this email was going out and/or wrote it in simple self-explanatory English.
    • Kenneth
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2010
        When Yahoo! Mail first introduced the feature of allowing you to create an email alias for your Yahoo! Mail account, they promoted it by stating that you could put a "dot" in your alias name.  It wasn't required that you do so but it was promoted that way.

        There's still a page in Mail options that mentions it too, if you can figure out how to get to it.  Here's how I did, if you're curious.

        At upper-right, click Options pull-down, select "More Options...".
        Click Accounts in the left-pane.
        Click Add or edit an account.
        Click Back to Mail Options in the new window.
        On this old Mail Options window, observe what is written in the paragraph under Mail Addresses:

        "We've added the dot into our email addresses so you can get the address you've always wanted. Use it just like your existing Yahoo! ID. Also retrieve mail from your other (POP) accounts into your Yahoo! Mailbox."

        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2010
          I'm Carlo, a member of the delivery team at Yahoo! Mail, and I'll try to shed some light on the notification e-mail some of you have recently received from us.

          Last month, we rolled out a change that affected accounts with disposable e-mail addresses (a.k.a. DEAs, which, in the U.S., is available to Mail Plus users) and/or an extra e-mail address (a.k.a. EEA, which is available to all Y! Mail users). If your account has either or both of these additional addresses, then you received a notification e-mail from us.

          To best illustrate the changes we made, let me use an example case:

          Let's pretend my primary Yahoo! Mail account is "email.carlo@...." When I create a DEA or an EEA for this account, it will, by default, inherit the same "yahoo.co.uk" domain as my primary address. So if I created an EEA with the ID "carlo.eea", my extra e-mail address would be "carlo.eea@...." (By the way, EEA IDs don't necessarily have to have a dot in them.) Similarly, "yahoo.co.uk" will also be the domain used for any DEA I create under the same account.

          For users who have an e-mail address with our generic .com domains (i.e., domains that are not country-specific like "yahoo.com", "ymail.com" and "rocketmail.com"), the domain that will be used for their DEA and EEA will be always be "yahoo.com."

          Here's comes the confusing part: Most of you may not have known it, but before last month's change, EEAs and DEAs were enabled to receive messages using other country-specific Yahoo! domains. In my EEA example above, my EEA "carlo.eea@..." was able to receive e-mails sent to "carlo.eea@...", "carlo.eea@...", etc. This is the part we fixed. From now on, EEAs and DEAs will only receive e-mails addressed to the original domain at which they were created. So, if my friends in Spain try to e-mail me at "carlo.eea@...", I will no longer receive it. Fortunately, I gave my contacts the correct EEA address from the get-go; hopefully, you all did, too.

          And there you have the lowdown. I hope I didn't make it any more confusing.

          -Carlo
          Yahoo! Mail

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "JON" <jrdeutsch@...> wrote:

          > I recently received 3 emails from Yahoo Mail, which were all identical except for the "extra email address" they indicated. Note that these are 3 of my 11 "email accounts", but they only included these 3. Any help from Yahoo Central on what exactly this means? Thanks.

          > Title:
          > Change notification for your Extra Email address
          >
          > Body:
          > You may have been receiving emails to your Extra Email Address with other yahoo domains, even though your email address ends with @.... In order to improve the accuracy of emails received by you in your right accounts, you will no longer be receiving emails to any other domain that you did not sign up with. You will only receive emails to your Extra Email Address: <one of my alternative addresses was here>
          >
          > Please make sure you provide the right Extra Email Addresses so you continue to receive the emails.
          >
          > To confirm your existing Extra Email Address:
          > 1. In Yahoo! Mail, go to "Options," then "More Options"
          > 2. From the menu on the left, click "Account"
          > 3. Click "Add or edit an account"
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Yahoo! Mail Team

        • Suzi
          Message 4 of 16 , May 2, 2010
            I got it.. finally.
            Thank you for explaining this to us.

            ---

            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2010
              Hi Carlo
              Thank you for taking the time for explaining this to us. Makes a lot more sense now. I was initially thinking this should go on the Mail Blog, but actually it may be slightly too complicated for the non-affecionados to digest in one go! However, I remain slightly concerned that people may be affected by this change and not be aware of it, as the initial explanation on the email wasn't totally clear. Having said that, as you indicated, they should've given their correct email addresses out in the first place!
              Many thanks
              Gabriel

              Let's pretend my primary Yahoo! Mail account is "email.carlo@ yahoo.co. uk." When I create a DEA or an EEA for this account, it will, by default, inherit the same "yahoo.co.uk" domain as my primary address. So if I created an EEA with the ID "carlo.eea", my extra e-mail address would be "carlo.eea@yahoo. co.uk." (By the way, EEA IDs don't necessarily have to have a dot in them.) Similarly, "yahoo.co.uk" will also be the domain used for any DEA I create under the same account.

              For users who have an e-mail address with our generic .com domains (i.e., domains that are not country-specific like "yahoo.com", "ymail.com" and "rocketmail. com"), the domain that will be used for their DEA and EEA will be always be "yahoo.com."

              Here's comes the confusing part: Most of you may not have known it, but before last month's change, EEAs and DEAs were enabled to receive messages using other country-specific Yahoo! domains. In my EEA example above, my EEA "carlo.eea@yahoo. co.uk" was able to receive e-mails sent to "carlo.eea@yahoo. com.ph", "carlo.eea@yahoo. ca", etc. This is the part we fixed. From now on, EEAs and DEAs will only receive e-mails addressed to the original domain at which they were created. So, if my friends in Spain try to e-mail me at "carlo.eea@yahoo. es", I will no longer receive it. Fortunately, I gave my contacts the correct EEA address from the get-go; hopefully, you all did, too.