Re: [Y-Mail] Importing contacts from Facebook

  • Craig Wright
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
      Howdy,

      That is correct, there is no downloading to your computer going on, although we do send a little info on how the overall progress is going on our back-end.

      Goutam, right now we are transitioning to a new Facebook authentication mechanism, and there is a minor configuration problem in our Virginia servers. Both should be fixed by tomorrow morning. If this problem is still recurring after tomorrow morning, please let us know via this group.

      Thanks,

      Craig Wright
      Contacts Front-end Engineering Manager

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
        Craig, thank you for feeding back to the group. Much appreciated to have official feedback on this and any other issue.
        Gabriel

        worked quite quickly for me - shouldn't really depend on your internet connection speed, cos it's all about linking 2 web accounts - nothing actually gets downloaded on your computer.

        Did it start at all? I tried again just now, same thing, waited for sometime, Back to Contacts, tried to import once again, doesn’t works for me.

        i imported my contacts from facebook and it stopped working, and I had to restart the process over again.

        Has anyones tried to import their facebook contacts here? Curious, as it seems to be taking forever for me. I am looking at the message “60 contacts found. We are now importing 0 of 60 from Facebook.” for over 10 minutes now.

        Goutam

      • Goutam Nath
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010

          Thanks for the update Craig :) Will surely drop an email to let you know.

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010

            Hi Craig,

            It’s working fine now, just imported my Contacts from Facebook.

            However, there seems to be something wrong with the duplicate cleanup tool. As an example, it is not asking me to merge contacts like ‘Goutam Nath’ and ‘goutam nath’. Also can we get an option to merge contacts by manually ticking them and clicking on a Merge button? That will be helpful.

            Regards,

            Goutam

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010
              Great! Glad to hear that is working for you.

              Re: Merge, the logic is very conservative by design. There are a lot of use cases you would think would work that do not. I hope we come back to improving the merge logic in the future.

              Re: select-and-merge, the possibility to make this happen is there. It is just a matter of priority. I did look to do this once as a weekend project, but realized it needed a lot more thought in terms of user experience than I could give it in a weekend. I will just say this would be a great feature and I would love to see it happen.

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010
                Hi Gabriel,

                You are welcome. I cannot "officially" speak to any other issues in Mail, and I would not take what I say about Address Book to be officially "official" either ;)

                In this case, I heard that a lot of people in the Group were having problems with Facebook import. In fact, only one person was. :D  But one person "in here" probably represents a greater number of people "out there," so I take it seriously.