Importing contacts from Facebook

  • Goutam Nath
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 29, 2010

      Has anyones tried to import their facebook contacts here? Curious, as it seems to be taking forever for me. I am looking at the message “60 contacts found. We are now importing 0 of 60 from Facebook.” for over 10 minutes now.

      Goutam

    • Kurt Norris
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30, 2010
        i imported my contacts from facebook and it stopped working, and I had to restart the process over again.

        Has anyones tried to import their facebook contacts here? Curious, as it seems to be taking forever for me. I am looking at the message “60 contacts found. We are now importing 0 of 60 from Facebook.” for over 10 minutes now.

        Goutam

      • Ryan Lee
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 30, 2010
          yeah I did that recently.
          It was very fast for me but I was on a fast internet connection.
          Did it ever finish for you?

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 30, 2010

            Did it start at all? I tried again just now, same thing, waited for sometime, Back to Contacts, tried to import once again, doesn’t works for me.

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 30, 2010
              worked quite quickly for me - shouldn't really depend on your internet connection speed, cos it's all about linking 2 web accounts - nothing actually gets downloaded on your computer.

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
                Howdy,

                That is correct, there is no downloading to your computer going on, although we do send a little info on how the overall progress is going on our back-end.

                Goutam, right now we are transitioning to a new Facebook authentication mechanism, and there is a minor configuration problem in our Virginia servers. Both should be fixed by tomorrow morning. If this problem is still recurring after tomorrow morning, please let us know via this group.

                Thanks,

                Craig Wright
                Contacts Front-end Engineering Manager

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
                  Craig, thank you for feeding back to the group. Much appreciated to have official feedback on this and any other issue.
                  Gabriel

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010

                    Thanks for the update Craig :) Will surely drop an email to let you know.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010

                      Hi Craig,

                      It’s working fine now, just imported my Contacts from Facebook.

                      However, there seems to be something wrong with the duplicate cleanup tool. As an example, it is not asking me to merge contacts like ‘Goutam Nath’ and ‘goutam nath’. Also can we get an option to merge contacts by manually ticking them and clicking on a Merge button? That will be helpful.

                      Regards,

                      Goutam

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010
                        Great! Glad to hear that is working for you.

                        Re: Merge, the logic is very conservative by design. There are a lot of use cases you would think would work that do not. I hope we come back to improving the merge logic in the future.

                        Re: select-and-merge, the possibility to make this happen is there. It is just a matter of priority. I did look to do this once as a weekend project, but realized it needed a lot more thought in terms of user experience than I could give it in a weekend. I will just say this would be a great feature and I would love to see it happen.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010
                          Hi Gabriel,

                          You are welcome. I cannot "officially" speak to any other issues in Mail, and I would not take what I say about Address Book to be officially "official" either ;)

                          In this case, I heard that a lot of people in the Group were having problems with Facebook import. In fact, only one person was. :D  But one person "in here" probably represents a greater number of people "out there," so I take it seriously.