Re: [Y-Mail] Re: embedded pics accompanied by attachments

  • Chuck Neuenschwander
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 29, 2010

      does this happen to others too,
      or is there something goofy with my Yahoo account,
      which is 20? years old and maybe faulty ?

      Here is how I understand it.
      In the not so distant good ol' days, attachments were always inline and were encoded with either base64 or binhex. If the attachments were displayed in the html part of the email, they were referred to via their content-ids.
      These days because of webmails, things are more complicated. When you view your email in a browser, the attachments are no longer real attachments, but stored on the servers and retrieved using http.
      That is until you POP them.
      If the user POP the email, the service provider may need to reassemble the email and encode the attachments again to be placed inline, and content-ids will be given to the attachments again. Will that message be exactly the same as it was sent? I do not know. I guess that will be decided by the service provider.
      That is the best I can do to answer your question. This is the ymail group so someone else has to know more. Please jump in to correct or clarify.

          Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com