Email address harvested??

  • Robert D
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 21, 2010
      I have gotten emails for a couple of friends that said why did I send them a link to some site. I never sent those emails. I am also getting returned mail-deamon notices that says that some mail was undeliverable. I think some site harvested my email address. But the thing is they also have my address list. It might be a virus since they have the address list and that is only kept on yahoo's mail servers so somehow they got in. Is there any way I can get around this short of deleting the account?
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 21, 2010
        this happened to me too sometime ago - very disturbing.
        First thing to do is to change your account password asap. Then report to yahoo

        I have gotten emails for a couple of friends that said why did I send them a link to some site. I never sent those emails. I am also getting returned mail-deamon notices that says that some mail was undeliverable. I think some site harvested my email address. But the thing is they also have my address list. It might be a virus since they have the address list and that is only kept on yahoo's mail servers so somehow they got in. Is there any way I can get around this short of deleting the account?

      • Sasafrass452
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 21, 2010
          Sounds like you have some kind of malware that's using your addressbook
          to send out emails. Scan your computer right away!

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 22, 2010
            Ok I did a scan using avg last night and cleared Deleted EVERYTHIN that might have been wrong. I am going to give it a couple of days to see if the mail-deamon notices stop coming back. Any other suggestions?

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 22, 2010
              Give AdAware & Spybot a try, to check for spyware. Let us know how it goes!

              On 03/22/2010 12:19 PM, Robert D wrote:
              > Ok I did a scan using avg last night and cleared Deleted EVERYTHIN that might have been wrong. I am going to give it a couple of days to see if the mail-deamon notices stop coming back. Any other suggestions?
            • Chuck Neuenschwander
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 23, 2010

                Often I receive emails that have embedded pics
                with a second copy of each pic attached.
                If I try to forward such an email,
                I am now forwarding two copies of each pic.
                It takes considerable time to delete the attachments,
                one by one, but I do it.

                Am I missing something here?
                Do I have some setting wrong?
                I don't understand why I receive these emails in this shape.

                -Chuck

              • sy1bzbn
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 24, 2010
                  Check your email size. If there are truly two copies, the size should double the attachment you saved + email content and header + base64 overheads (binhex for old macs?)
                  Am I missing anything else?

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Neuenschwander <annandchuck@...> wrote:

                  > Often I receive emails that have embedded pics
                  > with a second copy of each pic attached.
                  > If I try to forward such an email,
                  > I am now forwarding two copies of each pic.
                  > It takes considerable time to delete the attachments,
                  > one by one, but I do it.
                  >
                  > Am I missing something here?
                  > Do I have some setting wrong?
                  > I don't understand why I receive these emails in this shape.
                  >
                  > -Chuck

                • Silk
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 24, 2010
                    As you know doing ctrl + F brings up a search slot. Very handy.
                    When I am in yahoo mail & I see a post I wish to reply to I point
                    the mouse arrow to "reply" and up comes the email I can type on.
                    Occasionally when I begin to type automatically without me doing
                    anything up pops this "search" function and insead of the type going
                    on the email reply it is going on the search slot? any suggestions

                  • Chuck Neuenschwander
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 24, 2010
                      good suggestion. I did that with an email with 12 embedded pics and extra-copy attachments. By estimating, I would say the reported size is correct for only one copy, not duplicates.  HOWEVER, they all show as attachments, also.  Would you like me to forward  the sample to you?
                      -chuck

                      Check your email size. If there are truly two copies, the size should double the attachment you saved + email content and header + base64 overheads (binhex for old macs?)
                      Am I missing anything else?

                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Neuenschwander <annandchuck@...> wrote:

                      > Often I receive emails that have embedded pics
                      > with a second copy of each pic attached.
                      > If I try to forward such an email,
                      > I am now forwarding two copies of each pic.
                      > It takes considerable time to delete the attachments,
                      > one by one, but I do it.
                      >
                      > Am I missing something here?
                      > Do I have some setting wrong?
                      > I don't understand why I receive these emails in this shape.
                      >
                      > -Chuck

                          Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    • sy1bzbn
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 25, 2010
                        That is not necessary. This may be what you are looking for
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME#Content-ID

                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Neuenschwander <annandchuck@...> wrote:

                        > good suggestion. I did that with an email with 12 embedded pics and extra-copy attachments. By estimating, I would say the reported size is correct for only one copy, not duplicates.  HOWEVER, they all show as attachments, also.  Would you like me to forward  the sample to you?
                        > -chuck
                        >
                        > Check your email size. If there are truly two copies, the size should double the attachment you saved + email content and header + base64 overheads (binhex for old macs?)
                        > Am I missing anything else?
                        >
                        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Neuenschwander <annandchuck@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Often I receive emails that have embedded pics
                        > > with a second copy of each pic attached.
                        > > If I try to forward such an email,
                        > > I am now forwarding two copies of each pic.
                        > > It takes considerable time to delete the attachments,
                        > > one by one, but I do it.
                        > >
                        > > Am I missing something here?
                        > > Do I have some setting wrong?
                        > > I don't understand why I receive these emails in this shape.
                        > >
                        > > -Chuck

                      • Chuck Neuenschwander
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 27, 2010

                          I spent 20 minutes scanning through all that material and do not begin to see anything that relates to my problem I also then used FIND to locate references to "attach" and to "embed" and am very sure I can find nothing in this document of worth to this problem.

                          Anyone know of a source of information?

                          -Chuck

                          To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 7:49 PM

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 28, 2010
                            Here is how I understand it.
                            In the not so distant good ol' days, attachments were always inline and were encoded with either base64 or binhex. If the attachments were displayed in the html part of the email, they were referred to via their content-ids.
                            These days because of webmails, things are more complicated. When you view your email in a browser, the attachments are no longer real attachments, but stored on the servers and retrieved using http.
                            That is until you POP them.
                            If the user POP the email, the service provider may need to reassemble the email and encode the attachments again to be placed inline, and content-ids will be given to the attachments again. Will that message be exactly the same as it was sent? I do not know. I guess that will be decided by the service provider.
                            That is the best I can do to answer your question. This is the ymail group so someone else has to know more. Please jump in to correct or clarify.

                            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Neuenschwander <annandchuck@...> wrote:

                            > I spent 20 minutes scanning through all that material and do not begin to see anything that relates to my problem I also then used FIND to locate references to "attach" and to "embed" and am very sure I can find nothing in this document of worth to this problem.
                            > Anyone know of a source of information?
                            >
                            > -Chuck

                          • Chuck Neuenschwander
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 29, 2010

                              does this happen to others too,
                              or is there something goofy with my Yahoo account,
                              which is 20? years old and maybe faulty ?