IMAP access

  • rcmortensen
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 23, 2010
      Has anyone heard anything new concerning IMAP acces for yahoo mail? I am personally a Thuderbird user and because of what I do have email accounts with gmail, network solutions, MS exchange and H-mail (Zimbra engine). All are accessible via IMAP. I do use yahoo calendar with T-Bird via caldav and it works wonderfully. This lack of IMAP support is beyond ridiculous.
    • Sasafrass452
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 24, 2010
        IMAP is only for iphone users. Sorry! I don't think Yahoo plans on
        offering it anytime soon....

        On 02/23/2010 07:44 PM, rcmortensen wrote:
        > Has anyone heard anything new concerning IMAP acces for yahoo mail? I am personally a Thuderbird user and because of what I do have email accounts with gmail, network solutions, MS exchange and H-mail (Zimbra engine). All are accessible via IMAP. I do use yahoo calendar with T-Bird via caldav and it works wonderfully. This lack of IMAP support is beyond ridiculous.

      • Mario Sergio M. Santos
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 24, 2010
          You're not alone on that one buddy..
          But sadly there is no clue when IMAP will be available. They are only serving it for mobile phones such as iPhone.
          Mario Sergio

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 24, 2010
            Agree, would be good to have it but I guess that would take you off the online yahoo network (less eyes on adverts, etc..) so may dissuade them. Personally the greatest advantage of IMAP access would be to have an easy backup solution for my inbox

            You can currently get IMAP only through using Zimbra desktop for yahoo Mail plus accounts.

            A clarification on the mobile thing- IMAP is available on iphone, blackberry and windows mobile.

            Does anyone know if it's also available on android? I'm thinking of getting an htc desire. Thank you

            But sadly there is no clue when IMAP will be available. They are only serving it for mobile phones such as iPhone.
            Mario Sergio

            Has anyone heard anything new concerning IMAP acces for yahoo mail? I am personally a Thuderbird user and because of what I do have email accounts with gmail, network solutions, MS exchange and H-mail (Zimbra engine). All are accessible via IMAP. I do use yahoo calendar with T-Bird via caldav and it works wonderfully. This lack of IMAP support is beyond ridiculous.

          • Joseph Singer
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 24, 2010
              On Feb 23, 2010, at 16:44, rcmortensen wrote:

              > Has anyone heard anything new concerning IMAP acces for yahoo mail?
              > I am personally a Thuderbird user and because of what I do have
              > email accounts with gmail, network solutions, MS exchange and H-mail
              > (Zimbra engine). All are accessible via IMAP. I do use yahoo
              > calendar with T-Bird via caldav and it works wonderfully. This lack
              > of IMAP support is beyond ridiculous.

              I believe IMAP is available for iPhone but don't know about non-phone
              access. Gmail's had it for a while.

              + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +
              Joseph Singer
              weekilter@...
            • Morac
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 27, 2010
                IMAP is available via the iPhone, but Yahoo doesn't use IMAPS (SSL IMAP) so email is not encrypted. IMAPS is available using Zimbra Desktop (that is encrypted).

                Yahoo seems stuck in the stone-age. They don't provide generic IMAP. Yahoo says they believe in security, but unless you use Zimbra or POPS when on a public network, your email is available for anyone to read. Google encrypts all email, Yahoo doesn't even give the option.

                Note that there is a way to get Yahoo IMAP via Thunderbird, but it requires compiling a special version that tricks Yahoo into thinking it's the Zimbra Desktop client. See http://www.crasseux.com/linux/

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "rcmortensen" <rcmortensen@...> wrote:

                > Has anyone heard anything new concerning IMAP acces for yahoo mail? I am personally a Thuderbird user and because of what I do have email accounts with gmail, network solutions, MS exchange and H-mail (Zimbra engine). All are accessible via IMAP. I do use yahoo calendar with T-Bird via caldav and it works wonderfully. This lack of IMAP support is beyond ridiculous.

              • beq.name
                Message 7 of 8 , May 31, 2010
                  You know, I wish the functionality (to send the Yahoo pre-login IMAP
                  authentication command) could be implemented as a Thunderbird extension,
                  instead of a custom build of Thunderbird itself!

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Morac" <mjk4984@...> wrote:

                  > IMAP is available via the iPhone, but Yahoo doesn't use IMAPS (SSL
                  IMAP) so email is not encrypted. IMAPS is available using Zimbra
                  Desktop (that is encrypted).

                  > Yahoo seems stuck in the stone-age. They don't provide generic IMAP.
                  Yahoo says they believe in security, but unless you use Zimbra or POPS
                  when on a public network, your email is available for anyone to read.
                  Google encrypts all email, Yahoo doesn't even give the option.

                  > Note that there is a way to get Yahoo IMAP via Thunderbird, but it
                  requires compiling a special version that tricks Yahoo into thinking
                  it's the Zimbra Desktop client. See http://www.crasseux.com/linux/

                  > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "rcmortensen" rcmortensen@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Has anyone heard anything new concerning IMAP acces for yahoo mail?
                  I am personally a Thuderbird user and because of what I do have email
                  accounts with gmail, network solutions, MS exchange and H-mail (Zimbra
                  engine). All are accessible via IMAP. I do use yahoo calendar with
                  T-Bird via caldav and it works wonderfully. This lack of IMAP support is
                  beyond ridiculous.
                • GuillaumeB
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2010
                    IMAP sort of works on Android via cellular connection only.