Re: Why Is Yahoo Mail So Slow?!

  • Glenna M
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 4, 2010
      Running a virus scan is a good idea. Also verifying what resources are being used. If you are on a PC, try bringing up the task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete and select task manager). Look at what processes are consuming the CPU, I/O, memory, and networking resources and whether they are legitimate processes that should be consuming these resources? If you are on a mac, you can get a lot of similar useful information by launching the Terminal and then running the top application (/usr/bin/top).

      If your computer looks good, can you indicate which operating system, which browser (name and version), and which version of mail and the browser you are running? This would help us get a better idea of what might be happening. If you can contact Yahoo support with this information that would also be excellent. We do care very much about performance and invest a lot of effort in performance tuning since we know this is critical for a good user experience.

      Thanks for letting us know about this and helping us to determine what is happening.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Sasafrass452 <sasafrass452@...> wrote:

      > You say "other operations take way too long as well". That sounds like a
      > possible virus or worm that spread from one computer to the other via
      > email. If that's not the case, it may also be spyware. I suggest
      > scanning both computers ASAP. The problem is NOT Yahoo Mail, otherwise
      > everyone else would have the same issue.
      >

      > On 01/02/2010 07:12 PM, skywaffle1 wrote:
      > > I'm telling you it is getting worse and worse...
      > >
      > > Tonight I was at my mother's and she was complaining about how slow yahoo mail was for the 1,000th time. I took a look. It took 20 seconds for a message in the inbox to open after she clicked on it! I'm not kidding.
      > >
      > > It's not her computer or her connection... it's yahoo mail. Everything else works fine. It takes forever most of the time to load yahoo mail and to open messages. Sometimes other operations take way too long as well.
      > >
      > > And I am having the same experience at my house. If this doesn't get better soon I am dumping Yahoo mail.

    • sarahksmom
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "skywaffle1" <skywaffle1@...> wrote:

        > Thanks, but that's not it... Yahoo is still slow.
        >
        > I don't believe it is anything on the local computers. I believe it
        > is something on Yahoo's end... Slow servers, too much traffic for
        > the amount they can handle, something like that...

        Hear, hear! It's slow in Chicago. Unlike previous comment(s) attributing blame to the victims, I agree it's in Yahoo's court. They have multiple servers moving mail. Some work fast and others don't.

        Miriam Solon
        slogging through virtual mud in the Windy City
      • robelsman
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010
          Yahoo delivers a lot of advertisers' high-graphical content that Google doesn't. What is making the Yahoo application seem so slow in comparison is the overdedication of the computer's resources to handle all that content. Whether and to what extent the problem is annoying is likely related to the speed of the chips and the amount of memory on a particular machine. You need to take these things into consideration when choosing which email provider to use.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "skywaffle1" <skywaffle1@...> wrote:

          > I have a very fast connection to the Internet. Most sites work great. My G-mail loads and works very fast. But Yahoo mail has always been slow and seems to be getting slower all the time. Recently it has reached a threshold where it is downright annoying. It's like I went back to dialup.
          >
          > My Mom, who also has a fast connection at a different location complained to me that I switched her to yahoo mail because she says it runs so slow compared to the other e-mail she used.
          >
          > I googled it and see that people have been complaining for years about this.
          >
          > What's up with yahoo mail? Can't they do something about the speed?

        • Glenna M
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010
            Performance is complex. It seems like this problem is wide-spread enough that this is not a local system problem as you say. In diagnosing a problem, however, it really helps us hone in if we could know the following:

            1. Which browser and browser version are you using? Browsers can have very different performance characteristics so it helps us to know this information in analyzing an issue.

            2. Which version of Yahoo mail are you running? Different versions of mail can have significant differences - for example, f you are on classic mail, mail behaves significantly differently. It helps us to know where to focus our investigation.

            3. Either your Yahoo! id (the name you login under) or the Yahoo! farm (so we can trace the network/server path you are going over).

            If you can reply with this information, it would be much appreciated.

            Thanks for your help.

            Glenna

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "sarahksmom" <sarahksmom@...> wrote:

            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "skywaffle1" <skywaffle1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks, but that's not it... Yahoo is still slow.
            > >
            > > I don't believe it is anything on the local computers. I believe it
            > > is something on Yahoo's end... Slow servers, too much traffic for
            > > the amount they can handle, something like that...
            >
            > Hear, hear! It's slow in Chicago. Unlike previous comment(s) attributing blame to the victims, I agree it's in Yahoo's court. They have multiple servers moving mail. Some work fast and others don't.
            >
            > Miriam Solon
            > slogging through virtual mud in the Windy City

          • judithmarg
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 19, 2010
              Hi,
              I'm new here & not very techie, hoping to find some resolve for waiting forever (it seems like) for my Yahoo mail to do anything.
              Started here (I'm in north central Oklahoma) several months ago and at first I figured it was something temporary. But instead of going away it has only gotten worse.
              I don't have this trouble with anything else and I had not changed anything when this started in Yahoo. I have delays, sometimes longer than others, in page loading and in scrolling, which happens in jerks when it finally happens.
              I am connected with bottom level DSL, but it snapped right along and had no issues until a few months ago.
              I am using IE7 on XP Pro, using Mail Classic and my id is judithmarg.
              Thanks,
              Judy