Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Why Is Yahoo Mail So Slow?!

  • Sasafrass452
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2010
      You say "other operations take way too long as well". That sounds like a
      possible virus or worm that spread from one computer to the other via
      email. If that's not the case, it may also be spyware. I suggest
      scanning both computers ASAP. The problem is NOT Yahoo Mail, otherwise
      everyone else would have the same issue.

      On 01/02/2010 07:12 PM, skywaffle1 wrote:
      > I'm telling you it is getting worse and worse...
      >
      > Tonight I was at my mother's and she was complaining about how slow yahoo mail was for the 1,000th time. I took a look. It took 20 seconds for a message in the inbox to open after she clicked on it! I'm not kidding.
      >
      > It's not her computer or her connection... it's yahoo mail. Everything else works fine. It takes forever most of the time to load yahoo mail and to open messages. Sometimes other operations take way too long as well.
      >
      > And I am having the same experience at my house. If this doesn't get better soon I am dumping Yahoo mail.
    • Mike Edwards
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2010
        It has to be something geographic going on, yahoo mail works for me almost as fast as I can push the buttons.
        I'm in the SouthEast outside of Atlanta, do other sites you might visit give you any problem?
        Try pinging your email server with a "trace route" tool. This will identify the router where the lag is occuring.
        It will also tell you if the lag is occuring in the mail server because it will show the response of each router and its
        response time in milliseconds.  Maybe this will help you identify the issue

        Mike
        Oxford GA
        SI VIS PACEN PARA BELLUM

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "skywaffle1" <skywaffle1@ ...> wrote:

        > I'm in New York, on Long Island. It has to be something specifically about either the path or the servers that serve Yahoo from here because most other things I do on the Internet work just fine.
        >
        > And I'm not talking about just one computer or one location. I've noticed that it is slow (especially loading mail each time you go to the mailbox again) from a number of locations here in NY and from a number of different computers.
        >
        > It feels to me like there isn't enough server horsepower or some other bottleneck that doesn't have the capacity to handle the traffic. It's very frustrating sometimes.
        >

        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "GuillaumeB" <guillaume@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Well over here Yahoo!'s way faster to load than Gmail. On slow connections Gmail will simply hangs where Yahoo! loads just as fast... Oh and before that I had to remove some features from the Gmail Labs to make the webmail loads properly... So i'm not sure where you problem may be coming from. I use both Safari and Chrome/Chromium.
        > >

        > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "skywaffle1" <skywaffle1@ > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I have a very fast connection to the Internet. Most sites work great. My G-mail loads and works very fast. But Yahoo mail has always been slow and seems to be getting slower all the time. Recently it has reached a threshold where it is downright annoying. It's like I went back to dialup.
        > > >
        > > > My Mom, who also has a fast connection at a different location complained to me that I switched her to yahoo mail because she says it runs so slow compared to the other e-mail she used.
        > > >
        > > > I googled it and see that people have been complaining for years about this.
        > > >
        > > > What's up with yahoo mail? Can't they do something about the speed?

      • skywaffle1
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 3, 2010
          Thanks, but that's not it.

          As a matter of fact I just abandoned my other laptop because of a stubborn infection that I was unable to get rid of and set up this other one with a brand new clean installation of my Windows XP CD.

          There are definitely no infections on this laptop. But Yahoo is still slow.

          I don't believe it is anything on the local computers. I believe it is something on Yahoo's end that just isn't up to handling the capacity that they have. Slow servers, too much traffic for the amount they can handle, something like that.

          No matter where I go, when I get my Yahoo mail, it is slow. I have tried from many computers at many locations and its the same story.

          Maybe my idea of slow doesn't seem slow to others. After all, "slow" to one person might seem fast to another. But I'd say that the 20 seconds I have seen to open a message in an inbox is slow. And it almost always takes me 10 to 15 seconds to open my mail page. Most clicks take 5 seconds or more to load. That also seems slow to me since most services I deal with (such as banking) open much faster.

          Hey, the service is free so who am I to complain. But if it doesn't get better soon I may just switch to something else. My gmail works much faster. Plus it has free POP3. It sucks that Yahoo makes you pay for that.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 4, 2010
            As I said before, if it's on Yahoo's end, everyone would have the same
            problem. I don't know why you're having this issue, but it's definitely
            NOT Yahoo.

            On 01/03/2010 08:03 PM, skywaffle1 wrote:
            > I don't believe it is anything on the local computers. I believe it is something on Yahoo's end that just isn't up to handling the capacity that they have. Slow servers, too much traffic for the amount they can handle, something like that.
          • Glenna M
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 4, 2010
              Running a virus scan is a good idea. Also verifying what resources are being used. If you are on a PC, try bringing up the task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete and select task manager). Look at what processes are consuming the CPU, I/O, memory, and networking resources and whether they are legitimate processes that should be consuming these resources? If you are on a mac, you can get a lot of similar useful information by launching the Terminal and then running the top application (/usr/bin/top).

              If your computer looks good, can you indicate which operating system, which browser (name and version), and which version of mail and the browser you are running? This would help us get a better idea of what might be happening. If you can contact Yahoo support with this information that would also be excellent. We do care very much about performance and invest a lot of effort in performance tuning since we know this is critical for a good user experience.

              Thanks for letting us know about this and helping us to determine what is happening.

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Sasafrass452 <sasafrass452@...> wrote:

              > You say "other operations take way too long as well". That sounds like a
              > possible virus or worm that spread from one computer to the other via
              > email. If that's not the case, it may also be spyware. I suggest
              > scanning both computers ASAP. The problem is NOT Yahoo Mail, otherwise
              > everyone else would have the same issue.
              >

              > On 01/02/2010 07:12 PM, skywaffle1 wrote:
              > > I'm telling you it is getting worse and worse...
              > >
              > > Tonight I was at my mother's and she was complaining about how slow yahoo mail was for the 1,000th time. I took a look. It took 20 seconds for a message in the inbox to open after she clicked on it! I'm not kidding.
              > >
              > > It's not her computer or her connection... it's yahoo mail. Everything else works fine. It takes forever most of the time to load yahoo mail and to open messages. Sometimes other operations take way too long as well.
              > >
              > > And I am having the same experience at my house. If this doesn't get better soon I am dumping Yahoo mail.

            • sarahksmom
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "skywaffle1" <skywaffle1@...> wrote:

                > Thanks, but that's not it... Yahoo is still slow.
                >
                > I don't believe it is anything on the local computers. I believe it
                > is something on Yahoo's end... Slow servers, too much traffic for
                > the amount they can handle, something like that...

                Hear, hear! It's slow in Chicago. Unlike previous comment(s) attributing blame to the victims, I agree it's in Yahoo's court. They have multiple servers moving mail. Some work fast and others don't.

                Miriam Solon
                slogging through virtual mud in the Windy City
              • robelsman
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010
                  Yahoo delivers a lot of advertisers' high-graphical content that Google doesn't. What is making the Yahoo application seem so slow in comparison is the overdedication of the computer's resources to handle all that content. Whether and to what extent the problem is annoying is likely related to the speed of the chips and the amount of memory on a particular machine. You need to take these things into consideration when choosing which email provider to use.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010
                    Performance is complex. It seems like this problem is wide-spread enough that this is not a local system problem as you say. In diagnosing a problem, however, it really helps us hone in if we could know the following:

                    1. Which browser and browser version are you using? Browsers can have very different performance characteristics so it helps us to know this information in analyzing an issue.

                    2. Which version of Yahoo mail are you running? Different versions of mail can have significant differences - for example, f you are on classic mail, mail behaves significantly differently. It helps us to know where to focus our investigation.

                    3. Either your Yahoo! id (the name you login under) or the Yahoo! farm (so we can trace the network/server path you are going over).

                    If you can reply with this information, it would be much appreciated.

                    Thanks for your help.

                    Glenna

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "sarahksmom" <sarahksmom@...> wrote:

                    > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "skywaffle1" <skywaffle1@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks, but that's not it... Yahoo is still slow.
                    > >
                    > > I don't believe it is anything on the local computers. I believe it
                    > > is something on Yahoo's end... Slow servers, too much traffic for
                    > > the amount they can handle, something like that...
                    >
                    > Hear, hear! It's slow in Chicago. Unlike previous comment(s) attributing blame to the victims, I agree it's in Yahoo's court. They have multiple servers moving mail. Some work fast and others don't.
                    >
                    > Miriam Solon
                    > slogging through virtual mud in the Windy City

                  • judithmarg
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 19, 2010
                      Hi,
                      I'm new here & not very techie, hoping to find some resolve for waiting forever (it seems like) for my Yahoo mail to do anything.
                      Started here (I'm in north central Oklahoma) several months ago and at first I figured it was something temporary. But instead of going away it has only gotten worse.
                      I don't have this trouble with anything else and I had not changed anything when this started in Yahoo. I have delays, sometimes longer than others, in page loading and in scrolling, which happens in jerks when it finally happens.
                      I am connected with bottom level DSL, but it snapped right along and had no issues until a few months ago.
                      I am using IE7 on XP Pro, using Mail Classic and my id is judithmarg.
                      Thanks,
                      Judy