Re: OT: Can we please ban shortened URL?

  • mdc_nyc
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 7, 2009
      I agree with this and I have also noticed that these
      tiny URL's are sometimes placed in group links
      sections that are leading people to computer viruses
      or porn sites.

      Even if the moderator is paying attention and checking
      new links, the creator can go back a week or 2 later
      to change where the tiny URL is leading people
      without the moderator ever being notified or noticing
      the change.

      Moderators that alow tiny URL's in the links section
      would never be aware of this potential problem so the
      perps can be assured that if the link is still there
      a week later, they are free to entrap people into the
      foreseeable future.

      There is NEVER, EVER a reason to use tiny URL's
      in the links section unless you are trying to
      lure members to a porn site or virus without them
      knowing it.

      Lois

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "sy1bzbn" <sy1bzbn@...> wrote:

      > Every time I see them, my teeth are grinding. I hate not knowing where I am going, and I will never click on one of those even if my life depends on it.

    • k
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 9, 2010
        So can someone give me the real URL to which the shortened URL leads. I myself dont prefer clicking that.
        ---

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "sy1bzbn" <sy1bzbn@...> wrote:

        > It may surprise you given what I have been saying, but actually I am very okay with that. I fully understand and appreciate what shortened URL can do, I just don't believe they should be used to replace the original URL.

      • Sasafrass452
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 9, 2010
          http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/forms_index.html

          **Sasafrass452, aiBR Co-Moderator**