Re: OT: Can we please ban shortened URL?

  • sy1bzbn
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1, 2009
      Was my point not getting across? Do I need to offer another example? (original URL - http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/gossip/ci.Sarah+Palin+Stars+as+Heroine+in+New+Childen's+Book.opinionPrint ; shortened URL - http://mug.gd/p625). If you can't tell the difference, every instance of "FOXNews" was substituted with "FAUX News", "FOX" with "FAUX", and "Heroine" with "Super Villain".

      Can this be done without the visible frame and the warning? Definitely. Can malicious javascript be injected? I couldn't see why not. Can the URL in the URLbar be spoofed? That used to be very simple, but the security hole was plugged. That is not the same as saying there isn't another hole waiting to be exploited.

      Shortened URLs are dangerous. This isn't Twitter. There are no word limits in group posts. Can we PLEASE ban shortened URLs?
    • Mario Sergio M. Santos
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 2, 2009
        I agree, but we should ban any link from FOX News too!

        It was a joke! I believe too that shortened links are dangerous.

        Mario Sergio M. Santos
        http://twitter.com/mariosergio/
        http://mariosergio.blogspot.com/
        http://flickr.com/photos/mariosantos/

        Was my point not getting across? Do I need to offer another example? (original URL - http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/gossip/ci.Sarah+Palin+Stars+as+Heroine+in+New+Childen's+Book.opinionPrint ; shortened URL - http://mug.gd/p625). If you can't tell the difference, every instance of "FOXNews" was substituted with "FAUX News", "FOX" with "FAUX", and "Heroine" with "Super Villain".

        Can this be done without the visible frame and the warning? Definitely. Can malicious javascript be injected? I couldn't see why not. Can the URL in the URLbar be spoofed? That used to be very simple, but the security hole was plugged. That is not the same as saying there isn't another hole waiting to be exploited.

        Shortened URLs are dangerous. This isn't Twitter. There are no word limits in group posts. Can we PLEASE ban shortened URLs?

            Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

      • Sasafrass
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 2, 2009
          Why ban them when you can just ignore them? Besides, in places with
          limited space like Twitter, shortened urls are necessary. If you don't
          like it, don't click on it. Simple as that....

          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 2, 2009
            1) Because the other owner of the group insisted shortened URLs are safe, we now have one attached to EVERY post with IMPLIED OFFICIAL CAPACITIES; 2) because all the group posts will remain long after "is.gd" has gone out of business, and by then just about ANYONE can grab the "is.gd" domain and redirect traffics to a malicious website; 3) because even if "is.gd" remains in business for the next 1000 years, there is no way to rule out hack and redirect, which has already happened to cligs and essentially put it out of business, which bring us right back to (2); 4) because if we do not ban shortened URLs, others can still use them in group posts, which may or may not be malicious at the moment of posting, but can be compromised or turned malicious afterwards; 5) because even the so called "preview" services are vulnerable to attacks, and I am pretty sure both shortened URL services and preview services are much easier to attack than say ... DNS; 6) because we don't have limited characters count, we have no need for shortened URLs and allowing them in the group with all those pitfalls amounts to an irresponsible act.

            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 2, 2009
              Your concerns are valid, but again, you can simply ignore those links.
              And as the recipient of those links, you must decide whether or not to
              click on them. It's YOUR decision. If it's from someone you know, it's
              more than likely safe to view the link. Just use your own discretion,
              that's all it takes.... Banning shortened URLs altogether simply because
              they *might* lead to a dangerous website, is going a bit too far. There
              are much worse dangers on the internet to worry about....

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 2, 2009
                My preferences are not of concern here. The reason I keep bringing this up is because there are many who are either not aware of, or do not believe shortened URLs are dangerous. It is to those people this group needs to bear the responsibility. As for those of us who are already aware of the danger, whether the link is a shortened URL or not isn't going to impact us. Like you said, we can just ignore them and move on. (And just for laughs, here is a shortened URL to the Y-Mail group's group rule http://mug.gd/Dtz)

                > Your concerns are valid, but again, you can simply ignore those links.
                > And as the recipient of those links, you must decide whether or not to
                > click on them. It's YOUR decision. If it's from someone you know, it's
                > more than likely safe to view the link. Just use your own discretion,
                > that's all it takes.... Banning shortened URLs altogether simply because
                > they *might* lead to a dangerous website, is going a bit too far. There
                > are much worse dangers on the internet to worry about....
                >

                > sy1bzbn wrote:
                > > 1) Because the other owner of the group insisted shortened URLs are safe, we now have one attached to EVERY post with IMPLIED OFFICIAL CAPACITIES; 2) because all the group posts will remain long after "is.gd" has gone out of business, and by then just about ANYONE can grab the "is.gd" domain and redirect traffics to a malicious website; 3) because even if "is.gd" remains in business for the next 1000 years, there is no way to rule out hack and redirect, which has already happened to cligs and essentially put it out of business, which bring us right back to (2); 4) because if we do not ban shortened URLs, others can still use them in group posts, which may or may not be malicious at the moment of posting, but can be compromised or turned malicious afterwards; 5) because even the so called "preview" services are vulnerable to attacks, and I am pretty sure both shortened URL services and preview services are much easier to attack than say ... DNS; 6) because we don't have limited characters count, we have no need for shortened URLs and allowing them in the group with all those pitfalls amounts to an irresponsible act.

              • mdc_nyc
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 7, 2009
                  I agree with this and I have also noticed that these
                  tiny URL's are sometimes placed in group links
                  sections that are leading people to computer viruses
                  or porn sites.

                  Even if the moderator is paying attention and checking
                  new links, the creator can go back a week or 2 later
                  to change where the tiny URL is leading people
                  without the moderator ever being notified or noticing
                  the change.

                  Moderators that alow tiny URL's in the links section
                  would never be aware of this potential problem so the
                  perps can be assured that if the link is still there
                  a week later, they are free to entrap people into the
                  foreseeable future.

                  There is NEVER, EVER a reason to use tiny URL's
                  in the links section unless you are trying to
                  lure members to a porn site or virus without them
                  knowing it.

                  Lois

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "sy1bzbn" <sy1bzbn@...> wrote:

                  > Every time I see them, my teeth are grinding. I hate not knowing where I am going, and I will never click on one of those even if my life depends on it.

                • k
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 9, 2010
                    So can someone give me the real URL to which the shortened URL leads. I myself dont prefer clicking that.
                    ---

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "sy1bzbn" <sy1bzbn@...> wrote:

                    > It may surprise you given what I have been saying, but actually I am very okay with that. I fully understand and appreciate what shortened URL can do, I just don't believe they should be used to replace the original URL.

                  • Sasafrass452