pop services at YMAIL

  • ottawahitech
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 16, 2009
      Why does one need a Mail Plus account to be able to Pop messages at Yahoo. I believe this kind of service is available for free at gmail and at hotmail.

      Just curious to see if others here find it to be an annoyance.

      Cheers, oth
      ---
      Reocities Open Letter to Carol Bartz, CEO of Yahoo!
      http://www.reocities.com/newhome/openletter.html
    • Sasafrass
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 16, 2009
        Yahoo decided to charge people for pop access because they needed more
        money. Other email providers charge for pop access well.... Yes, Gmail
        is free, which is just one reason why they're currently the #1 email
        provider. Yahoo has been struggling the past couple of years, which is
        why they have a new CEO. The fact that Yahoo charges for pop access is
        disappointing, but I don't see that changing anytime soon.... What's
        worse is, other countries actually have FREE pop access, while US
        members are stuck with a bill. Doesn't make sense at all....

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 16, 2009
          Thanks for responding Sasafrass.

          Are you saying that Yahoo email users in other countries get their pop services for free? If so, how does Yahoo determine which country they come from?

          BTW not only gmail, but also hotmail provide this service for free. Seems to me Yahoo may not be interested in any more email subscribers, maybe they are even trying to lose some of the existing ones?

          Just a thought.

          Cheers, oth
          ---
          Read what people are saying about their lost GeoCities sites
          http://www.reocities.com/guestbook/

          > Yahoo decided to charge people for pop access because they needed more
          > money. Other email providers charge for pop access well.... Yes, Gmail
          > is free, which is just one reason why they're currently the #1 email
          > provider. Yahoo has been struggling the past couple of years, which is
          > why they have a new CEO. The fact that Yahoo charges for pop access is
          > disappointing, but I don't see that changing anytime soon.... What's
          > worse is, other countries actually have FREE pop access, while US
          > members are stuck with a bill. Doesn't make sense at all....
          >

          > ottawahitech wrote:
          > > Why does one need a Mail Plus account to be able to Pop messages at Yahoo. I believe this kind of service is available for free at gmail and at hotmail.
          > >
          > > Just curious to see if others here find it to be an annoyance.
          > >
          > > Cheers, oth
          > > ---
          > > Reocities Open Letter to Carol Bartz, CEO of Yahoo!
          > > http://www.reocities.com/newhome/openletter.html

        • Wolfgang Exler
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 16, 2009
            At 16.11.2009 22:17, you wrote:
            >Yahoo decided to charge people for pop access because they needed more
            >money. Other email providers charge for pop access well.... Yes, Gmail
            >is free, which is just one reason why they're currently the #1 email
            >provider. Yahoo has been struggling the past couple of years, which is
            >why they have a new CEO. The fact that Yahoo charges for pop access is
            >disappointing, but I don't see that changing anytime soon.... What's
            >worse is, other countries actually have FREE pop access, while US
            >members are stuck with a bill. Doesn't make sense at all....

            I am a german resident an I have subscribed to Yahoo's Plus email
            years ago to use POP access and webaccess. The value I pay is only a
            small amount of money and I am willing to pay this as long as I can
            prevent reading all this advertising bullsh... when using the webinterface.

            There are no advertisements with paid service an I will never miss this

            Wolfgang
          • Mario Sergio M. Santos
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
              I'm with Wolfgang! I am also a subscriber to Yahoo! Mail Plus.
              I'm a brazilian based in São Paulo City, SP

              Mario Sergio M. Santos
              http://twitter.com/mariosergio/
              http://mariosergio.blogspot.com/
              http://flickr.com/photos/mariosantos/

              >Yahoo decided to charge people for pop access because they needed more
              >money. Other email providers charge for pop access well.... Yes, Gmail
              >is free, which is just one reason why they're currently the #1 email
              >provider. Yahoo has been struggling the past couple of years, which is
              >why they have a new CEO. The fact that Yahoo charges for pop access is
              >disappointing, but I don't see that changing anytime soon.... What's
              >worse is, other countries actually have FREE pop access, while US
              >members are stuck with a bill. Doesn't make sense at all....

              I am a german resident an I have subscribed to Yahoo's Plus email
              years ago to use POP access and webaccess. The value I pay is only a
              small amount of money and I am willing to pay this as long as I can
              prevent reading all this advertising bullsh... when using the webinterface.

              There are no advertisements with paid service an I will never miss this

              Wolfgang

                  Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

            • Suzi
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
                I have paid for my accounts for a long time.
                I love not getting the ads, I also love not getting
                all of the yahoo tag lines in my email. Is it worth
                the $ (which isn't much) .. absolutely!

                ---
                Suzi
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/puppykisses

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
                  Yes, some countries have free pop access to Yahoo Mail.... Yahoo has
                  servers for each country, such as .co.uk for the United Kingdom, & .cz
                  for Czechoslovakia. That's how they determine the country of each user.
                  Yahoo certainly doesn't want to lose users, but charging for what other
                  providers give for free doesn't help :P

                  ottawahitech wrote:
                  > Thanks for responding Sasafrass.
                  >
                  > Are you saying that Yahoo email users in other countries get their pop services for free? If so, how does Yahoo determine which country they come from?
                  >
                  > BTW not only gmail, but also hotmail provide this service for free. Seems to me Yahoo may not be interested in any more email subscribers, maybe they are even trying to lose some of the existing ones?
                  >
                  > Just a thought.
                  >
                  > Cheers, oth
                • Sasafrass
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
                    I agree that removing the ads is worth paying for.... I used to use
                    Yahoo Mail Plus for the pop access, but I can no longer afford it. Times
                    are tough all over....

                    Wolfgang Exler wrote:
                    > I am a german resident an I have subscribed to Yahoo's Plus email
                    > years ago to use POP access and webaccess. The value I pay is only a
                    > small amount of money and I am willing to pay this as long as I can
                    > prevent reading all this advertising bullsh... when using the webinterface.
                    >
                    > There are no advertisements with paid service an I will never miss this
                    >
                    > Wolfgang

                  • Goutam Nath
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
                      Sas,

                      Wasn't there a discussion on this before about how existing yahoo.com were
                      able to use the POP after following some steps?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
                        I don't recall such a discussion, but there is a Thunderbird add-on that
                        allows pop access. However, it doesn't work that well. Otherwise, all
                        users under the yahoo.com domain must pay for pop access.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
                          Perhaps it's some other group that I am in. It was something about changing
                          the country and/or the 'language and contents'.

                          Another option is YPOPs.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
                            Nope, you're Yahoo! ID is attached to the domain you first registered.
                            Right now I'm in Brazil and here POP3 is free, but since I'm on yahoo.com, I have to pay to get that kind of access.

                            I'm a subscriber to Y! Mail Plus, but I don't pay for the POP3, I pay to stay free of ads, filters and all that stuff.
                            I'm still waiting for IMAP, but the Yahoo! team shows no interested in serving it for desktops and that is bad, real bad.

                            Goutam Nath wrote:

                            Sas,

                            > Wasn't there a discussion on this before about how existing yahoo.com
                            > were able to use the POP after following some steps?

                            href="http://www.reocities.com/newhome/openletter.html">http://www.reocities.com/newhome/openletter.html

                                Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                          • Joseph Singer
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
                              On Nov 16, 2009, at 17:24, ottawahitech wrote:

                              > Are you saying that Yahoo email users in other countries get their
                              > pop services for free? If so, how does Yahoo determine which country
                              > they come from?

                              UK: XXXX@..., France: XXXX@..., Spain: XXXX@...
                              etc. They're different domains. It's also why when a policy change
                              happens on yahoo.com it often doesn't immediately affect people with
                              other yahoo domains in other countries.

                              + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +
                              Joseph Singer
                              weekilter@...
                            • coronarycounty
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
                                I've been following this thread with a certain interest, because I remembered that POP/forwarding used to be free of charge outside the .com domain. I had had the impression that that loop-hole was sealed now, but in order to satisfy my immense curiosity I went and signed up as a Swedish person. Lo and behold, I got free POP/forwarding and STILL a .com address. Apparently they have done away with the country codes ...like yahoo.se and so on.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 17, 2009
                                  Agree as well on it being worthwhile for lack of ads. Also yahoo mail plus can be used via IMAP on desktop using Zimbra Desktop. And IMAP free on all mobiles irrespective of being Plus user.

                                      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Y-Mail/ join

                                      Y-Mail-digest@ yahoogroups. com
                                      Y-Mail-fullfeatured @yahoogroups. com

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 24, 2009
                                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "ottawahitech" <ottawahitech@...> wrote:

                                    > Why does one need a Mail Plus account to be able to Pop messages at Yahoo.

                                    This is one reason I do not use MailPlus (there are others which I prefer not to into):

                                    I don't like using services that are not commonly used by other members of Groups I frequent. I find it helps to understand those members concerns when one sees the world from their pov.

                                    I also try to stay away from browsers/OS/etc. that aren't MS for the same reason. I also do not block Yahoo ads.

                                    ---
                                    Cheers, oth who does not read email
                                    Please reply to Group