MAJOR PROBLEM - NEW "CATEGORY" IN CONTACTS

  • Rob Igo
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2009
      Hi

      OK - I previously had duplicate contact cards for contacts - as some had a work email and some had a home email address and each address was on a separate list - e.g. I have a jokes list where I forward funnies, obviously everybody's email on this list is there home/yahoo/msn address.

      This morning I noticed the Fix Duplicates feature under contact which I ran and was impressed how it sorted and merged the ones I chose together...

      THEN... I go to forward a mail to a list and notice that it now puts in the work email address (even though there's two email addresses under many cards).

      OUCH.  I didn't send the email but could of caused a problem.

      SO - how can I create a new category, and put the correct email address in without having to create all new contact (duplicating) cards for everybody?

      PLEASE HELP - I use lists a lot (somebody's changed this without thinking about it me thinks!)

      Loving The Music - www.robigophotography.com

      Wedding Photographer Photography Warrington Cheshire Northwest Rob Igo

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
        ah - good point - had not realised - I was still too impressed with the duplicate contact merging features. Hope someone from yahoo reads your email

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
          ANYBODY FROM YAHOO ACKNOWLEDGE THIS PROBLEM.

          I don't want to spend hours recreating lists when I expect Yahoo will agree this is a problem (and an urgent problem, sometimes I'm sending confidential information to personal email addresses and now it's going to their work addresses).

          ANYBODY at Yahoo please help - I've emailed customer support but nothing back yet (3 days ago)

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
            Rob, is it the same problem if you use Classic?

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2009
              Hi,

              There is not an easy fix to this issue. "Categories" and "Mailing Lists" are the same thing under the hood. Basically, although theoretically we allow categorizing fields, we do not actually have an interface to do so.

              All of the fields in a contact are ordered. I believe, although I have not verified, that when emailing a Category it will always choose the "first" email address as per the ordering you see on the Details page in Contacts.

              So the sad answer is, you will have to have separate contacts per email address you want in different lists, until we figure out some clever way to implement the feature you are requesting. If you just want a way to prefer a certain email in a category, make sure the email address is the first listed for your contact (literally move the values in the edit interface if it is not).

              HOPE THIS HELPS! I find the dedupe tool is very useful for bringing Messenger and Mail contacts together. In this case, I think until we come up with a better answer, you have a need for duped contacts.

              Craig Wright
              Y!Contacts

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2009
                Craig, thank you for replying and for honestly letting us know about a problem that can't be perfectly fixed at present. Nice to know that yahoo is at least aware of some of the issues discussed in this group. Hope you find some of our feedback useful.