Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Discontinued Addresses

  • lakeflurries@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 3, 2009
      I have the same experiences as both kgcrafts and krazy4becky.  Like them, I've been monitoring a, seemingly, abandoned account  for years and it has to this day NOT become available.

      However, I've noticed that accounts that have been properly closed, do become available after a certain amount of time.

      I, myself, have a Yahoo-ID that I signed up for five years ago. Was never able to use the email but it works as an ID everywhere else. At one point I got stubborn an decided to sort it out once and for all with Yahoo. Really prepared myself to hold out, no matter what :)

      After 55 (fifty five !!!) email messages back and forth I gave up. It's still a lost case and they told me that ID will NEVER become available no matter what I do.

      On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Shal Farley <shalf@...> wrote:

      Gil,

      >For years I wanted that Yahoo ID (kgcrafts), but it was taken.
      >About every two weeks I would check the availability of it. Lo
      >and behold, about a year ago it was available and of course I
      >snatched it.

      Excellent, I stand corrected. So there may be some hope for krazy4becky after all.

      I wonder if the availability of a previously taken ID is strictly a hold time, or whether there are other factors (such as, how the ID was freed). For example, in Yahoo Groups a group name becomes immediately available if you rename the group, but is reserved for a long time (months) if you delete the group.

      -- Shal

      --
      http://www.google.com/profiles/quack.of.dawn
    • Shal Farley
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 3, 2009
        Kenneth,

        > Perhaps the kgcrafts Yahoo ID
        wasn't the primary ID for that user's
        > account.
        >
        > I know for a fact that the
        additional Yahoo! IDs, or aliases as they
        >  call them now, that I've created
        for a given primary account can be
        >  deleted and immediately become
        available to other users.

        Ah, interesting.

        That makes sense: the alias IDs do not have an associated email address (or profile) -- no reason to put a hold on them. A primary ID is generally also an email address, and there are sensible reasons for not letting someone have an old email address "too soon" -- it would come burdened with all the legit contacts and spammers the prior owner left behind.

        -- Shal

      • glenna369
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 3, 2009
          You may want to try seeing if that name is available in ymail, if you don't mind having a ymail.com address instead of yahoo.com.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Shal Farley <shalf@...> wrote:

          > krazy4becky,
          >
          > >I have been monitoring an email address for a few years now and
          > >I get this message. I really want the address... BAD!
          > >Remote host said: 554 delivery error: dd Sorry your message to
          > >***erased***@... cannot be delivered. This account has
          > >been disabled or discontinued [#102]. -
          >
          > As far as I've ever heard, Yahoo IDs (and the email address that goes with each one) are never recycled -- once taken, it is gone. You may have to settle for a variation in spelling or punctuation to get something close to the address you really want.
          >
          > -- Shal

        • Abhishek Kumar
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2009
            Hi All,

            A Yahoo Id is not just a YMail Address. It is your identity for multiple other Y! produts. So, maybe in this case the user has been inactive on Y!Mail, leading to delivery failures for that account, but been using that ID for some other property, like messenger. Maybe that is what is preventing you to register that ID as Yahoo! as a whole is still considering that id as active even though Y!Mail in itself does not.

            Regards,
            Abhishek

            On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Shal Farley <shalf@verizon. net> wrote:

            Gil,

            >For years I wanted that Yahoo ID (kgcrafts), but it was taken.
            >About every two weeks I would check the availability of it. Lo
            >and behold, about a year ago it was available and of course I
            >snatched it.

            Excellent, I stand corrected. So there may be some hope for krazy4becky after all.

            I wonder if the availability of a previously taken ID is strictly a hold time, or whether there are other factors (such as, how the ID was freed). For example, in Yahoo Groups a group name becomes immediately available if you rename the group, but is reserved for a long time (months) if you delete the group.

            -- Shal

            --
            http://www.google. com/profiles/ quack.of. dawn

          • gs.luo
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2009
              Ymail.com may a good idea for that, same service but different domain.

              Regards

              Luo GS