Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Discontinued Addresses

  • Shal Farley
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2009
      Gil,

      >For years I wanted that Yahoo ID (kgcrafts), but it was taken.
      >About every two weeks I would check the availability of it. Lo
      >and behold, about a year ago it was available and of course I
      >snatched it.

      Excellent, I stand corrected. So there may be some hope for krazy4becky after all.

      I wonder if the availability of a previously taken ID is strictly a hold time, or whether there are other factors (such as, how the ID was freed). For example, in Yahoo Groups a group name becomes immediately available if you rename the group, but is reserved for a long time (months) if you delete the group.

      -- Shal
    • lakeflurries@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 3, 2009
        I have the same experiences as both kgcrafts and krazy4becky.  Like them, I've been monitoring a, seemingly, abandoned account  for years and it has to this day NOT become available.

        However, I've noticed that accounts that have been properly closed, do become available after a certain amount of time.

        I, myself, have a Yahoo-ID that I signed up for five years ago. Was never able to use the email but it works as an ID everywhere else. At one point I got stubborn an decided to sort it out once and for all with Yahoo. Really prepared myself to hold out, no matter what :)

        After 55 (fifty five !!!) email messages back and forth I gave up. It's still a lost case and they told me that ID will NEVER become available no matter what I do.

        --
        http://www.google.com/profiles/quack.of.dawn
      • justkenneth
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 3, 2009
          Perhaps the kgcrafts Yahoo ID wasn't the primary ID for that user's
          account.

          I know for a fact that the additional Yahoo! IDs, or aliases as they
          call them now, that I've created for a given primary account can be
          deleted and immediately become available to other users. I've in
          effect transferred aliases to other accounts by deleting them from
          one account and then logging into another account to register them
          there. I know they become available immediately because I would
          quickly logout from one account and then login with the other just in
          case someone else happened to be trying to get that ID in the interim
          and got it before I did.

          Kenneth

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Shal Farley <shalf@...> wrote:

          > Gil,
          >
          > >For years I wanted that Yahoo ID (kgcrafts), but it was taken.
          > >About every two weeks I would check the availability of it. Lo
          > >and behold, about a year ago it was available and of course I
          > >snatched it.
          >
          > Excellent, I stand corrected. So there may be some hope for krazy4becky after all.
          >
          > I wonder if the availability of a previously taken ID is strictly a hold time, or whether there are other factors (such as, how the ID was freed). For example, in Yahoo Groups a group name becomes immediately available if you rename the group, but is reserved for a long time (months) if you delete the group.
          >
          > -- Shal

        • KGCrafts
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 3, 2009
            Actually it takes only 90 after an account is closed for it to become available again.

            I know I saw something about that in Yahoo itself, but can't seem to find it. Its definitely not in the Privacy Policy or TOS.

            Gil

            Perhaps the kgcrafts Yahoo ID wasn't the primary ID for that user's
            account.

            I know for a fact that the additional Yahoo! IDs, or aliases as they
            call them now, that I've created for a given primary account can be
            deleted and immediately become available to other users. I've in
            effect transferred aliases to other accounts by deleting them from
            one account and then logging into another account to register them
            there. I know they become available immediately because I would
            quickly logout from one account and then login with the other just in
            case someone else happened to be trying to get that ID in the interim
            and got it before I did.

            Kenneth

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, Shal Farley <shalf@...> wrote:

            > Gil,
            >
            > >For years I wanted that Yahoo ID (kgcrafts), but it was taken.
            > >About every two weeks I would check the availability of it. Lo
            > >and behold, about a year ago it was available and of course I
            > >snatched it.
            >
            > Excellent, I stand corrected. So there may be some hope for krazy4becky after all.
            >
            > I wonder if the availability of a previously taken ID is strictly a hold time, or whether there are other factors (such as, how the ID was freed). For example, in Yahoo Groups a group name becomes immediately available if you rename the group, but is reserved for a long time (months) if you delete the group.
            >
            > -- Shal

          • Shal Farley
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 3, 2009
              Kenneth,

              > Perhaps the kgcrafts Yahoo ID
              wasn't the primary ID for that user's
              > account.
              >
              > I know for a fact that the
              additional Yahoo! IDs, or aliases as they
              >  call them now, that I've created
              for a given primary account can be
              >  deleted and immediately become
              available to other users.

              Ah, interesting.

              That makes sense: the alias IDs do not have an associated email address (or profile) -- no reason to put a hold on them. A primary ID is generally also an email address, and there are sensible reasons for not letting someone have an old email address "too soon" -- it would come burdened with all the legit contacts and spammers the prior owner left behind.

              -- Shal

            • glenna369
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 3, 2009
                You may want to try seeing if that name is available in ymail, if you don't mind having a ymail.com address instead of yahoo.com.

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Shal Farley <shalf@...> wrote:

                > krazy4becky,
                >
                > >I have been monitoring an email address for a few years now and
                > >I get this message. I really want the address... BAD!
                > >Remote host said: 554 delivery error: dd Sorry your message to
                > >***erased***@... cannot be delivered. This account has
                > >been disabled or discontinued [#102]. -
                >
                > As far as I've ever heard, Yahoo IDs (and the email address that goes with each one) are never recycled -- once taken, it is gone. You may have to settle for a variation in spelling or punctuation to get something close to the address you really want.
                >
                > -- Shal

              • Abhishek Kumar
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2009
                  Hi All,

                  A Yahoo Id is not just a YMail Address. It is your identity for multiple other Y! produts. So, maybe in this case the user has been inactive on Y!Mail, leading to delivery failures for that account, but been using that ID for some other property, like messenger. Maybe that is what is preventing you to register that ID as Yahoo! as a whole is still considering that id as active even though Y!Mail in itself does not.

                  Regards,
                  Abhishek

                  On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Shal Farley <shalf@verizon. net> wrote:

                  Gil,

                  >For years I wanted that Yahoo ID (kgcrafts), but it was taken.
                  >About every two weeks I would check the availability of it. Lo
                  >and behold, about a year ago it was available and of course I
                  >snatched it.

                  Excellent, I stand corrected. So there may be some hope for krazy4becky after all.

                  I wonder if the availability of a previously taken ID is strictly a hold time, or whether there are other factors (such as, how the ID was freed). For example, in Yahoo Groups a group name becomes immediately available if you rename the group, but is reserved for a long time (months) if you delete the group.

                  -- Shal

                  --
                  http://www.google. com/profiles/ quack.of. dawn

                • gs.luo
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 5, 2009
                    Ymail.com may a good idea for that, same service but different domain.

                    Regards

                    Luo GS