Re: Yahoo Mail search beta glitch

  • jbeaul
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 13, 2005
      Hmmm... dunno what you're working with since the new search
      mechanism in Y! Mail is not a beta version and I don't recall
      a "whole introduction on how to use it." Could you be looking at
      something else?

      The acid test is to look below your Y! Mail folders list (on left
      side) and see if your Y! Mail account shows the new Search
      Shortcuts - "My Photos" and "My Attachments". If they're there, you
      do have the updated Search feature. If you can explain what you're
      searching for and where you expect to find it (what type of mail
      attachment in what folder) we may be able to assist you.

      If you do not see the new shortcuts you will need to wait until the
      roll out reaches your account.

      For the benefit of others in the group who may be reading this,
      according to Drew Garcia, Sr. Product Mgr - Y! Mail, "So when are
      these features coming to a mailbox near you? We are rolling out
      these features gradually to give us time to thumbnail the millions
      of photos and attachments and index the billions of messages Yahoo!
      Mail users around the world have accumulated (we're talking about
      petabytes of data). The new system is designed to be a global
      solution and requires deployment in all of our data centers
      worldwide. We're working as fast as we can, but please be patient if
      you don't see the features right away."

      BTW: I have had no problems locating search strings within
      attachments, even when there are multiple attachments on a single
      mail message.

      Hope this helps.

      Joe

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <spanzspam@t...> wrote:
      > I have their beta version with a whole introduction on how to use
      > it. The only problem is when i search for something I know is
      there,
      > it comes back with "Sorry. We didn't find any results matching the
      > following criteria".
      >
      > Maybe they've forgotten to plug it in or summink.
      >
      > :-D

    • Daniel
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2005
        Yes, I have the search shortcuts and whether I do a basic search or
        an advanced search for a term that I know is in a subject line, main
        body, address line, attachment or photo, I get that "can't find
        nuffink" message.

        The intro I speak of is a little box at the top of my inbox that
        reads "Mail Search just got better. Learn more." When I click
        on "learn more" it takes me to:
        http://help.yahoo.com/us/tutorials/mail/mail/mail_search1.html

        Rule 1 in marketing: dont launch something that doesnt yet work.

        I'm sure they'll remember to plug me in at some point but at the
        moment my new "updated search feature" doesnt work at all... not
        even the basic search I used to be able to do

        :'(

        I have sent Y! an error report so i'll wait n see...

        I'm happy to hear it works for you tho.

        :-D

        p.s. I hope they incorporate more of MyWeb into Y! Mail cos MyWeb is
        just fantastic and has such huge potential to be the next big
        thing ... so many good sites I would never have found if it weren't
        for the people on MyWeb.