Re: [Y-Mail] YMail's spam protection is a joke

  • Roslyn Lamb
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 30, 2009
      Well - yes - if they work.

      I'm still having problems with the one I wrote about here weeks ago.  I've asked Yahoo techs to sort it out and they can't either.  They keep going in and changing it but it still doesn't work.

      Ros

      2009/6/30 Sasafrass <sasafrass452@...>
      That's true.... but the filters are WAAAAYY better!

      --
      I support the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund
      http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
        Thats interesting I have the exact opposite with GMail. I have the most inconsistent spam filtering and no issues in Yahoo.
      • Sasafrass
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
          They work perfectly :)

          Roslyn Lamb wrote:

          > Well - yes - if they work.
          >

          > Ros
          >
          > 2009/6/30 Sasafrass <sasafrass452@...
          > <mailto:sasafrass452@...>>
          >
          > That's true.... but the filters are WAAAAYY better!

        • Robin Siegel
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1, 2009
            I've actually been very happy with the Yahoo Mail spam filters for a long time now. The funny thing is that I've also been less frustrated with the spam I get. Almost all of it is in Chinese! Makes it very easy to pick out the few real emails that belong in my Inbox.

            What happened to all the American spam? Almost nobody wants to give me increased sexual prowess or sell me a pizza anymore.

            My most recent spam crisis was when Verizon decided not to deliver my emails to any of their clients, and I had to return their bounces to their so-called "white list" address and beg them to let me email the recipients one by one. That was a very bad couple of months, but happily I think they've released me now.

            Life is good.

            Robin Siegel
            Yahoo power user

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Howard White <hwhite@...> wrote:

            > On the other side, I have almost no false positives and very little spam gets through to my in box.
            > Howard
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Sumit Mehta
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
              As far as I am concerned, Spam handling ratings could be:

              Gmail - Best

              Y-Mail - Good

              WL Hotmail - bad

              On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Canol Gökel <canol.gokel@...> wrote:

              YMail's spam filter goes worse every day. For the last couple of months, all my important mails go to the spam folder. Like account activations, PayPal transactions, even mails from my father, this is really ridiculous. I'm tired of marking them "not spam", looks like it doesn't work. Also even in this case it can filter only about half of the real spam mails.

              My mails both arrive to my Gmail and YMail account, I'm using YMail because I like the interface but Gmail does pretty good job on separating spam and non-spam mails correctly.

              It looks like my spam folder will eventually become my actual inbox folder, in a few months...

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
                Both my Yahoo! and Google mail accounts are pretty good most of the time with the odd bits of junk maybe getting through now and then on both. (Oops - I hope I haven't put the kibosh on it now by saying that! ;) )

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 2, 2009
                  Well,,,, I'm glad for you that yours do.

                  I am sick of the seemingly endless dialogue with Yahoo techs who keep telling me that they have fixed the one not working of my ONLY TWO filters.  It's gone on and on and on.  They change something and tell me it's working, I check my account and tell them that no, it's not.  Day after day after day.

                  Ros

                  2009/7/1 Sasafrass <sasafrass452@...>
                  They work perfectly :)

                  --
                  I support the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund
                  http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk
                  hq@...
                  National Helpline 0870 046 5249
                  A hutch is not enough
                  (/(-.-)\).(/(-.-)\)
                  (")(")o. o(")(")
                • sarahksmom
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 3, 2009
                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <deepend@...> wrote:

                    > Both my Yahoo! and Google mail accounts are pretty good most of the time with the odd bits of junk maybe getting through now and then on both. (Oops - I hope I haven't put the kibosh on it now by saying that! ;) )

                    Funny this should come up now. Today, the Yahoo spam filter failed massively, with more than a dozen false negatives, roughly half of the morning's spam total.

                    Miriam Solon
                  • Kadee Did
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 3, 2009
                      After marking numerous message Not Spam yesterday, I checked my Spam folder later. 6 messages. All messages I wanted to receive. Marked them Not Spam. Later, moved Spam messages from Inbox to spam & checked. Another 5 messages that were not spam along with the ones I had manually checked as spam. Keep forgetting to check Spam folder. All false positives are messages from people in my contacts.

                      Gmail has been very good at marking only Spam and catching it all.

                      kadee

                      > Both my Yahoo! and Google mail accounts are pretty good most of the time with the odd bits of junk maybe getting through now and then on both. (Oops - I hope I haven't put the kibosh on it now by saying that! ;) )

                      Funny this should come up now. Today, the Yahoo spam filter failed massively, with more than a dozen false negatives, roughly half of the morning's spam total.

                      Miriam Solon

                          mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    • baumgrenze
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                        With monotonous regularity I find digest messages from other Yahoo groups in my free Yahoo Mail SPAM folder!

                        I've filled in the "Send Feedback" form several times. It seems to have no effect. Is there another way to reach the Mail team at Yahoo? Does someone on the team monitor this group?

                        Is there a rivalry between the Mail team and the Groups team at Yahoo that has gotten so out of hand that they are trying to sabotage one another?

                        baumgrenze

                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Canol Gökel <canol.gokel@...> wrote:

                        > YMail's spam filter goes worse every day. For the last couple of months, all my important mails go to the spam folder. Like account activations, PayPal transactions, even mails from my father, this is really ridiculous. I'm tired of marking them "not spam", looks like it doesn't work. Also even in this case it can filter only about half of the real spam mails.
                        >
                        > My mails both arrive to my Gmail and YMail account, I'm using YMail because I like the interface but Gmail does pretty good job on separating spam and non-spam mails correctly.
                        >
                        > It looks like my spam folder will eventually become my actual inbox folder, in a few months...

                      • ZuLuuuuuu
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 11, 2010
                          I'm posting my negative feedbacks to this mailing list but there are good things, as well: After sending this post to this mailing list Yahoo! crew contacted me and got some details about my account (questions like if I my mails are forwarded from another mail account etc.) and after a few weeks, spam protection got better and better. Nowadays -although certainly not perfect- the spam protection is pretty good. Thank you very much...