Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Just sent Dear John letter to Yahoo

  • b l
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2009
      Nothing would make me happier than for my Yahoo mail to work right.

      The way it always worked in the past is that I would open my inbox and then go down the list of my emails and right click on the ones I wanted to read and open them in a new tab. They would open whilst I continued through my inbox. Then I would click on another folder which would open while I read, replied to or deleted as spam those emails that were opened. Once I finished with all the emails I would go through the next folder and do the same thing, opening selected emails in new tabs and continuing the process. I would get an occasional error message, but I could reload the tab and that resolved the issue.

      But over a year ago, this account started acting really flaky with more and more error messages and the inability to reload the pages. Now, I don't dare open more than one tab in yahoo mail on this account because an error message is the norm.

      Repeated complaints to the yahoo mail team have yielded the same response. I need to stop using tabs. I have made it a point to exchange emails with the team in the expectation that it would move up the food chain at yahoo the more I responded. But the response never changed although the emails seemed to be less inpersonal. I can't count on using tabs.

      I have equated that to the US Postal Service telling me that I can go to my mailbox, choose just one piece of mail, bring it inside, respond to it, trash it, or whatever, but only after I have disposed of that mail could I go back out to my mailbox to see what else I want to deal with. And then I could bring one piece of mail in and deal with that.

      If this can be resolved, I would be greatful. There have been some other issues of late, but I figure those will be transitory. But this error message thing on this account has only gotten more out of hand. And now my other email accounts are getting much worse, too. This account is mostly personal and I could survive without it. But one of my other accounts is a business account and I cannot allow yahoo mail to jeopardize its reliability.

      Bruce

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2009
        Bruce,

        The more you describe your problem the more confusing it becomes.  Some clarifications are necessary.

        Are you using All-New-Mail or Mail Classic?  Or some email application into which you have downloaded your Yahoo! mail?

        Which browser are you using?  IE, Firefox, something else?

        When you say "right click on the ones I wanted to read and open them in a new tab", what do you mean by new tab?  A new tab in your browser or a new tab within Mail itself, i.e., not a new tab in your browser?

        While I won't try to convince you which mail program to use,
        I am a senior engineer on the mail team and I'd love it if you
        could elaborate as to the problems that you are having.

        The "All-New" mail for yahoo has tabs for messages and the like
        and of course in "Classic" mail you can always open various messgages
        in browser tabs if you wish.

        I know this will sound cliche, but we are actively working on new versions of mail, and I hope the upcoming changes/improvement s in
        the next few months will be helpful.

        Anyway, would love to hear feedback of your specific issues.

        Thanks
        Sean
        Senior Y-Mail Engineer

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, b l <napervilleman2004@ ...> wrote:

        > Well, after many months of issues with Yahoo mail on this address, and this and my other email addresses deteriorating even more in recent days, I finally threw up my hands and decided I can't take it any more. On this account, opening tabs will almost guarantee error messages. And my other email accounts are closely following suit. So, after repeated exchanges with customer support, it would seem that it will never get better - - their solution is to not use tabs, an intolerable solution for me as it is no solution.
        >
        > To quote the end of the last email I sent to customer support "I can't tell you how disappointed I am that "progress" at yahoo means
        > that your email is no longer useful for what I need. No need to reply.
        > I know what I have to do. I was just hoping it would not come to this."
        >
        > Can anybody suggest a reliable online email provider where I can use tabs? I really don't want to have to do this again. At one time, Yahoo was almost perfect for my needs. Now I need a divorce and I need it as soon as possible as my Yahoo accounts are all but worthless.
        >
        > Bruce

      • Shal Farley
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 27, 2009
          Kenneth,

          >The more you describe your problem the more confusing it
          >becomes. Some clarifications are necessary.

          See Bruce's earlier thread for details, starting at message #17969
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Y-Mail/message/17969>

          Classic, Firefox 3, browser tabs (inferred, since Classic doesn't have its own).

          -- Shal
        • b l
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2009
            >>>Are you using All-New-Mail or Mail Classic?  Or some email application into which you have downloaded your Yahoo! mail?

            Yahoo Classic. All online. Same way I have done it since 2004.

            >>>Which browser are you using?  IE, Firefox, something else?

            Firefox 3.0.11

            >>>When
            you say "right click on the ones I wanted to read and open them in a new tab", what do you mean by new tab?  A new tab in your browser or a new tab within Mail itself, i.e., not a new tab in your browser?

            At inbox, or in another folder, I right click on a folder or an email, then right click on "open in new tab." In Firefox, wherever you are on the web you can right click (unless disabled by the site) and open a link in a new tab instead of the same or a new window.

            I do all of my mail online in my browser and tabs are invaluable, especially with a high volume of email. It allows Firefox to be opening emails while I scan through the entire inbox. It also helps me keep track of where I am in the inbox which I cannot do if I open an email in the same window as the inbox.

            And, for the record, at one time it worked just fine on this account, but now I it is so rare that it works that I now only keep one tab open. And, my other Yahoo email accounts do not have this problem, at least to this extent although they have deteriorated in recent weeks.

            Does that end the confusion?

            Bruce

            While I won't try to convince you which mail program to use,
            I am a senior engineer on the mail team and I'd love it if you
            could elaborate as to the problems that you are having.

            The "All-New" mail for yahoo has tabs for messages and the like
            and of course in "Classic" mail you can always open various messgages
            in browser tabs if you wish.

            I know this will sound cliche, but we are actively working on new versions of mail, and I hope the upcoming changes/improvement s in
            the next few months will be helpful.

            Anyway, would love to hear feedback of your specific issues.

            Thanks
            Sean
            Senior Y-Mail Engineer

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, b l <napervilleman2004@ ...> wrote:

            > Well, after many months of issues with Yahoo mail on this address, and this and my other email addresses deteriorating even more in recent days, I finally threw up my hands and decided I can't take it any more. On this account, opening tabs will almost guarantee error messages. And my other email accounts are closely following suit. So, after repeated exchanges with customer support, it would seem that it will never get better - - their solution is to not use tabs, an intolerable solution for me as it is no solution.
            >
            > To quote the end of the last email I sent to customer support "I can't tell you how disappointed I am that "progress" at yahoo means
            > that your email is no longer useful for what I need. No need to reply.
            > I know what I have to do. I was just hoping it would not come to this."
            >
            > Can anybody suggest a reliable online email provider where I can use tabs? I really don't want to have to do this again. At one time, Yahoo was almost perfect for my needs. Now I need a divorce and I need it as soon as possible as my Yahoo accounts are all but worthless.
            >
            > Bruce

          • Jim Parsons
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 29, 2009
              Try Zoho Mail.  I've been very impressed with them.