Re: [Y-Mail] hijacked email addresses?

  • Shal Farley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2009
      cspanhel,

      >I'm starting to get spam mail which looks like it comes from a
      >stranger (e.g., "Peggy"), but has one of my emails as the sender
      >(see below, cynthia@...). I don't mark these emails as spam
      >because it looks like that would log my own email is a spam
      >address.

      Marking them as spam is probably ok, depending on your email software or service; most spam filters these days are triggered by the content more than the "From" address. Specifically because the From address is so often spoofed by spammers.
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing>

      >How do I stop this? both the spamming and stop the hijacking of my email addresses.

      Sadly, you don't. You can minimize it by avoiding activities that spread your email address to others, and you can filter and ignore the junk that comes your way.

      >Below are the full headers from a recent incident:

      This says that the spam was sent to your Yahoo email address from the IP address 210.182.172.118 -- a computer in Seoul, South Korea (according to one IP trace site I use). Probably someone's personal computer which has been subverted by a spambot, but possibly a computer owned by a deliberate spammer.

      You /can/ report the spam to the ISP that hosts that computer, DACOM Corp. They may (or may not) take action against their customer for sending spam (usually a violation of an ISP's terms of service). I usually use SpamCop to facilitate the identification and notification of the relevant parties.
      <http://www.spamcop.net/>

      -- Shal