New apps!

  • gpollara
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2009
      Hi guys
      Anyone have these yet?
      http://www.ymailblog.com/blog/2009/06/new-apps-in-yahoo-mail/
      Picnik one already very useful - will keep on experimenting with others.
      Any early feedback?
    • morac1974
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2009
        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "gpollara" <gpollara@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys
        > Anyone have these yet?
        > http://www.ymailblog.com/blog/2009/06/new-apps-in-yahoo-mail/
        > Picnik one already very useful - will keep on experimenting with others.
        > Any early feedback?

        I tried the Picnik app and it's pretty cool. The only problem I've found with it, is it doesn't know my email address or name. It keeps saying "hi >>>>" when I open it.

        Organizer is simply broken. I added it and now I can't remove it. I keep getting an "Oops! The application ( Organizer ) is currently unavailable. Please try again in a few minutes." error message.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2009
          Picnik app - funny, I don't get that - have you synchronised it with Flickr account? Shouldn't be linked to that though as it scans inbox for photos.
          Organizer - same thing here. Not that fussed cos it's not active, but takes up a bit of room. Has anyone activated it? I have my own filters and things so I thought it'd be redundant. Also, not sure if you can customise it in anyway. In the future apparently it'll recognise dates etc and put events into calendar - could be more useful.
          Share It - seems v useful - basically the same as what Yahoo used to have with Y Drive a few years ago
          My Photos - still struggling to find a use for it. Combination of Flickr + Picnik apps make it somewhat redundant.

          Now we really need a word processor. Pleeease team up with zoho...
          Anyhow, good work yahoo on this so far.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2009
            I've synced the Picnik app with a bunch of different sites. All that works fine and each site's tab correctly displays my username from that site. The only place that shows ">>>>>" is the "History" tab, the little box to the left of the feedback link at the top and the "My Account" (Update Settings) tab.

            Basically every time I open the Picnik app I'm automatically signed into a Picnik account where the displayed username and email are ">>>>". I can sign out of this account and then sign into one I created, but the accounts won't stay linked since if I closed the application and then open it again, it signs me back into the ">>>>>" account. Since I don't know what the password is on that account, I can't change anything.

            I think this happened because I've used the "Delete Account" link a few times in the application and on the picnik site to clear things out. The problem is that the "Delete Account" on the Yahoo Application doesn't delete anything it just seems to add a ">" to my name the next time I close and open the application.

            But basically the problem comes down my Yahoo account being somehow linked to a picnik account that doesn't really exist or at least I don't know what the username, password or email address associated with it is.

            The Organizer issue is apparently not a unique problem as I see it mentioned at this link: http://getsatisfaction.com/otherinbox/topics/unable_to_remove_organizer_for_yahoo_mail

            > Picnik app - funny, I don't get that - have you synchronised it with Flickr account? Shouldn't be linked to that though as it scans inbox for photos.
            > Organizer - same thing here. Not that fussed cos it's not active, but takes up a bit of room. Has anyone activated it? I have my own filters and things so I thought it'd be redundant. Also, not sure if you can customise it in anyway. In the future apparently it'll recognise dates etc and put events into calendar - could be more useful.
            > Share It - seems v useful - basically the same as what Yahoo used to have with Y Drive a few years ago
            > My Photos - still struggling to find a use for it. Combination of Flickr + Picnik apps make it somewhat redundant.
            >
            > Now we really need a word processor. Pleeease team up with zoho...
            > Anyhow, good work yahoo on this so far.

          • Ryan Lee
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2009
              Hi G,

              Thanks for the update, I didn't even know about the new apps until your email.
              Also, thanks for the app summaries.

              I played around with a couple of apps:

              Share It (By ZumoDrive) - Very cool and useful.  ZumoDrive is an online storage service.  The integration with YMail works well.  First, the sign up was very easy and didn't have to leave YMail (took a few seconds to complete).  After signing up, sharing is very simple without ever leaving YMail.  Certainly faster and easier than other storage services i've used before.

              MyPhotos (Xoopit) -  This is the renaming of an old app Xoopit.  Basically, it searches your mail inbox for images and surfaces them to you.  Kinda useful in finding old image attachments that you've forgotten about.  Kinda scary too though!

              Ryan