Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Question about routine treatment of spam

  • Robin Siegel
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2009
      Yes I am. Okay, so this is another repressive scheme against the subversive minority!

      But still, my real question is: does moving a message out of the spam folder educate the filter, or does only clicking the "not spam" button do that? Anyone know?

      Robin Siegel
      Home of Possum and the Pennyroyal Norwich terriers
      Volunteer Photographer, Montgomery County Animal Shelter

      http://mcmdlostpets.blogspot.com/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinsiegel

      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2009
        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Robin Siegel <pennyroyalnorwich@...> wrote:

        > The "not spam" button doesn't appear until you actually open the message. Your only choice when viewing the Spam Folder is "move to inbox," and that's what I generally do. That's what I'm wondering - does that have the same educational effect on the spam filter.
        >
        > Robin Siegel

        That's odd. I get the "Not Spam" button as soon as I open the Spam folder. I can check multiple messages and mark them all as non-spam.

        Jayant
      • mark_risher
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2009
          > Here's my question: It takes three clicks to mark an email "not spam"
          > since you have to actually open it. Many I see are emails I don't
          > actually need to read, but would prefer they not be marked as spam.

          In the New Yahoo Mail, you can check the checkbox next to multiple messages and mark a larger group as "not spam." Moving them to the inbox is not quite as effective, as we do not extrapolate that *other* people might also view these as not spam (in other words, you get the benefits but your friends do not).

          Hope that helps,
          /m
        • Robin Siegel

            > Here's my question: It takes three clicks to mark an email "not spam"
            > since you have to actually open it. Many I see are emails I don't
            > actually need to read, but would prefer they not be marked as spam.

            In the New Yahoo Mail, you can check the checkbox next to multiple messages and mark a larger group as "not spam." Moving them to the inbox is not quite as effective, as we do not extrapolate that *other* people might also view these as not spam (in other words, you get the benefits but your friends do not).

            Hope that helps,
            /m

          • Les d
            Message 5 of 9 , May 12, 2009

              Yes, moving messages out of spam folder  to inbox or any oersonal folder will send a 'not spam' vote for those messages ie.. same as marking 'not spam' individually from message view.