New Yahoo Mail pop-ups?

  • Robin Siegel
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 7, 2009
      A neighbor of mine who uses Yahoo Mail complained today of strange pop-up ads suddenly appearing when she accesses her web-based email. At first I thought she was talking about those Chat alerts, but then Firefox alerted me that I had gotten one too.

      Since Firefox removes pop-ups (yay!) I don't actually see mine, but this neighbor says they're the kind that run away from your cursor. That sounded like some kind of bot thingy until I got one too. I'm on a Mac, btw.

      Is anyone else getting these? Are they somehow related to the new pop-ups appearing when you go to a Yahoo Group website? Very strange.

      Robin Siegel
      Home of Possum and the Pennyroyal Norwich terriers
      Volunteer Photographer, Montgomery County Animal Shelter
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinsiegel

    • too_much green_tea
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 7, 2009
        I haven't seen those ... can you provide a screenshot of how it looks like?

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 8, 2009
            I just logged in & didn't see any sign of popups being blocked by
            Firefox. Scan your computer for spyware, your neighbor should do the same.

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 12, 2009
                The pop-up I've been getting is indeed from Opinion Central:

                popup by you.

                (If you aren't able to see the image above, it's posted at http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinsiegel/3435495681/)

                It insists on hiding behind the main window, which is why I had to reduce the size of the main Firefox window in order to get a screen shot.

                I'm still getting them - unless I leave the cookies they plant. If I delete them, I get another pop-up.

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 14, 2009
                  I don't think those are pop-up ads. Those may be surveys from Yahoo!

                    Robin Siegel wrote:
                    > A neighbor of mine who uses Yahoo Mail complained today of strange
                    > pop-up ads suddenly appearing when she accesses her web-based email.
                    > At first I thought she was talking about those Chat alerts, but then
                    > Firefox alerted me that I had gotten one too.
                    >
                    > Since Firefox removes pop-ups (yay!) I don't actually see mine, but
                    > this neighbor says they're the kind that run away from your cursor.
                    > That sounded like some kind of bot thingy until I got one too. I'm on
                    > a Mac, btw.
                    >
                    > Is anyone else getting these? Are they somehow related to the new
                    > pop-ups appearing when you go to a Yahoo Group website? Very strange.
                    >
                    > Robin Siegel
                    > Home of Possum and the Pennyroyal Norwich terriers
                    > Volunteer Photographer, Montgomery County Animal Shelter
                    > http://www.flickr. com/photos/ robinsiegel

                  • Mark
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 14, 2009
                      Because these are pop-up ads 'disguised' as surveys!

                      Finally added the domain to my Hosts file and stopped seeing them 3 or 4 months ago. (My Hosts file is 962Kb and I haven't seen an image-based online ad in over 6 years.)

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 14, 2009
                        Really? I don't see them often, but once I did click through one of them, they were indeed feedback survey for new yahoo services.

                        That was a long time ago though, so I'm not really sure if they were from Opinion Central.