Re: Yahoo Mail search beta glitch

  • berklb
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
      8 pdf's on the same email.

      L.B.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "que_onda_sf" <deadecon99@y...> wrote:
      > I don't have this problem... It searches all of my attachments, even
      > if several are attached to the same message. Is it an obscure file
      > type that isn't getting searched?
      >

      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "berklb" <berklb@y...> wrote:
      > > I am using the Yahoo mail search beta and have found that it only
      > > indexes the first attachment of a multi-attachment email. Has anyone
      > > else encountered this and/or have a fix?
    • Daniel
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2005
        Well mine doesnt find anything... no matter what I search for, it
        comes back with "Sorry. We didn't find any results matching the
        following criteria". Is there something I should know?

        :-D

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "berklb" <berklb@y...> wrote:
        > 8 pdf's on the same email.
        >
        > L.B.
        >

        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "que_onda_sf" <deadecon99@y...> wrote:
        > > I don't have this problem... It searches all of my attachments,
        even
        > > if several are attached to the same message. Is it an obscure
        file
        > > type that isn't getting searched?
        > >

        > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "berklb" <berklb@y...> wrote:
        > > > I am using the Yahoo mail search beta and have found that it only
        > > > indexes the first attachment of a multi-attachment email. Has
        anyone
        > > > else encountered this and/or have a fix?
      • jbeaul
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13, 2005
          Yahoo! began a "phased rollout" of the mail search function. Is it
          possible that it hasn't reached your account yet?

          There has been the ability to search email for some time, but this
          new feature provides a fuller view of the search results and the
          carries the ability to search within some types of attachments (e.g.
          PDFs).

          Joe

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13, 2005
            I have their beta version with a whole introduction on how to use
            it. The only problem is when i search for something I know is there,
            it comes back with "Sorry. We didn't find any results matching the
            following criteria".

            Maybe they've forgotten to plug it in or summink.

            :-D

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 13, 2005
              Hmmm... dunno what you're working with since the new search
              mechanism in Y! Mail is not a beta version and I don't recall
              a "whole introduction on how to use it." Could you be looking at
              something else?

              The acid test is to look below your Y! Mail folders list (on left
              side) and see if your Y! Mail account shows the new Search
              Shortcuts - "My Photos" and "My Attachments". If they're there, you
              do have the updated Search feature. If you can explain what you're
              searching for and where you expect to find it (what type of mail
              attachment in what folder) we may be able to assist you.

              If you do not see the new shortcuts you will need to wait until the
              roll out reaches your account.

              For the benefit of others in the group who may be reading this,
              according to Drew Garcia, Sr. Product Mgr - Y! Mail, "So when are
              these features coming to a mailbox near you? We are rolling out
              these features gradually to give us time to thumbnail the millions
              of photos and attachments and index the billions of messages Yahoo!
              Mail users around the world have accumulated (we're talking about
              petabytes of data). The new system is designed to be a global
              solution and requires deployment in all of our data centers
              worldwide. We're working as fast as we can, but please be patient if
              you don't see the features right away."

              BTW: I have had no problems locating search strings within
              attachments, even when there are multiple attachments on a single
              mail message.

              Hope this helps.

              Joe

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <spanzspam@t...> wrote:
              > I have their beta version with a whole introduction on how to use
              > it. The only problem is when i search for something I know is
              there,
              > it comes back with "Sorry. We didn't find any results matching the
              > following criteria".
              >
              > Maybe they've forgotten to plug it in or summink.
              >
              > :-D

            • Daniel
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 13, 2005
                Yes, I have the search shortcuts and whether I do a basic search or
                an advanced search for a term that I know is in a subject line, main
                body, address line, attachment or photo, I get that "can't find
                nuffink" message.

                The intro I speak of is a little box at the top of my inbox that
                reads "Mail Search just got better. Learn more." When I click
                on "learn more" it takes me to:
                http://help.yahoo.com/us/tutorials/mail/mail/mail_search1.html

                Rule 1 in marketing: dont launch something that doesnt yet work.

                I'm sure they'll remember to plug me in at some point but at the
                moment my new "updated search feature" doesnt work at all... not
                even the basic search I used to be able to do

                :'(

                I have sent Y! an error report so i'll wait n see...

                I'm happy to hear it works for you tho.

                :-D

                p.s. I hope they incorporate more of MyWeb into Y! Mail cos MyWeb is
                just fantastic and has such huge potential to be the next big
                thing ... so many good sites I would never have found if it weren't
                for the people on MyWeb.