Smarter Inbox

  • mannar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2009
      Hey,

      Not really sure if any of you came across this, I found something interesting coming from the Yahoo! Mail Team.

      http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/whatsnew/smarterinbox

      Do any of you have access to these features already?

      Thank You
      Mannar

    • Sasafrass

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
          I have them, but I'm not overly impressed. Every time I log in I get a request to invite people to connect and the list of suggested connections is the same. When I've tried to invite others, the invitations won't send and I'm not sure the ones I've invited are receiving their invitations because I've gotten zero response from them. It seems to me to still be an early beta, but I do like the idea.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
            from what i've seen the invite send does work, its just people may not be responding.
            With all the social networks out there, they're probably bombarded with this type of invites all day.
            Not knowing what Y! profile or contacts are, they probably ignored them.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2009
              I don't know about everybody else, but I don't like having my social
              network be the same as my email service. I like it that I don't have to
              show my email address in Facebook if I do not want to.

              Yah, I'm also not a big fan of making people that want to be in my
              connection have to get a Yahoo! login. Again, Facebook wins on that
              one.

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Lee <ryaniclee@...> wrote:

              > from what i've seen the invite send does work, its just people may not
              be responding.
              > With all the social networks out there, they're probably bombarded
              with this type of invites all day.
              > Not knowing what Y! profile or contacts are, they probably ignored
              them.

              > ________________________________

            • sarahksmom
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Lloyd Haskins" <lmhaskins@...> wrote:

                > I don't know about everybody else, but I don't like having my social
                > network be the same as my email service. I like it that I don't have
                > to show my email address in Facebook if I do not want to.

                AMEN to that! I was at a Y!Groups Town Hall meeting this past summer
                when they demoed all the new functionality they were proposing, and my
                comment was that they were trying to be FB. I thought it was an
                interesting idea then, but the practical reality is that I like to
                keep these functions separate, as well. Nevermind, that the Y!G team
                doesn't have even as much of a clue as FB as to how to implement these
                changes, and anybody whose been on FB for the last year knows how
                [ummm] awkward FB's developers are at rolling out changes.

                > Yeah, I'm also not a big fan of making people that want to be in my
                > connection have to get a Yahoo! login. Again, Facebook wins on that
                > one.

                Yeah, all I really want out of Y! is my address book to update
                correctly when I add someone... I'll decide if we're "connected." FB
                has a better handle on the nuances of privacy, but it is hopeless at
                mail and discussion group management. I'd hate for Y! to give up what
                it's good at in an attempt to be FB, because it might be even worse at it.

                Miriam Solon
                sangha-owner@yahoogroups.com

                Miriam Solon
              • Sasafrass
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2009
                  Ok, I have now verified that group messages are NOT being delayed(at the moment). Apparently, Gmail just has a wierd way of managing incoming messages :P