@!#$@ Grouply SPAM

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 21, 2008
      Is anyone else here getting these spam messages apparently sent
      courtesy of one or more members of this group? Grouply.com is a pure
      spam site, if not worse, which IMO should be universally blacklisted
      and any group members allowing them to mine the email addresses of
      other group members should, IMO, be immediately banned from the group.

      I've copied the grouply message I received in my email tonight in its
      entirety below, showing a From address of someone I don't know from
      Adam, making this clearly a pure spam message. Does anyone know
      anything that can be done to prevent these unsolicited, unwanted
      grouply messages from being sent to group members, apparently through
      someone's authorization for them to access our personal email
      addresses here?

      Thank you.

      -Robert

      From: mujahidahadah_83 <mujahidahadah_83@...>
      Date: Dec 21, 2008 10:15 PM
      Subject: Admoe wants to add you as a friend :)
      To: catch23@...

      We share the Y-Mail group. I want to add you as a friend in Grouply so
      you can see my profile with my pictures, my groups, and my favorite
      group messages.

      Here is the link:
      http://www.grouply.com/register.php?r=2328217&vt=33436336 .

      Admoe Thea
    • fiction_scribe
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 22, 2008
        There has been much posting on this issue over at the Yahoo Group of
        Groups - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/yahoo_group_of_groups/

        Since the Grouply thing is Yahoo! Groups related and not technically
        Y! Mail related, I would suggest reading the various threads on the
        subject you'll find in the YGOG archives (some of them very recent).

        "The Delete Button is your friend and so is the Mark Spam Button."

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <catch23@...> wrote:

        > Is anyone else here getting these spam messages apparently sent
        > courtesy of one or more members of this group? Grouply.com is a pure
        > spam site, if not worse, which IMO should be universally blacklisted
        > and any group members allowing them to mine the email addresses of
        > other group members should, IMO, be immediately banned from the group.
        >
        > I've copied the grouply message I received in my email tonight in its
        > entirety below, showing a From address of someone I don't know from
        > Adam, making this clearly a pure spam message. Does anyone know
        > anything that can be done to prevent these unsolicited, unwanted
        > grouply messages from being sent to group members, apparently through
        > someone's authorization for them to access our personal email
        > addresses here?
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > -Robert
        >
        > From: mujahidahadah_83 <mujahidahadah_83@...>
        > Date: Dec 21, 2008 10:15 PM
        > Subject: Admoe wants to add you as a friend :)
        > To: catch23@...
        >
        > We share the Y-Mail group. I want to add you as a friend in Grouply so
        > you can see my profile with my pictures, my groups, and my favorite
        > group messages.
        >
        > Here is the link:
        > http://www.grouply.com/register.php?r=2328217&vt=33436336 .
        >
        > Admoe Thea

      • Terry
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 22, 2008
          The grouply site has a system of opting your group out
          which requires visiting their site to do so .

          As my groups should never have been added without them
          first asking permission, I am unwilling to risk
          visiting the spam site.

          Grouply should have unsubscriptions by email
          in the same manner as Yahoo Groups do .

          It is unwise to unsubscribe from a spammer's list
          by visiting the spammer's home page

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <catch23@...> wrote:

          > Is anyone else here getting these spam messages apparently sent
          > courtesy of one or more members of this group? Grouply.com is a
          pure
          > spam site, if not worse, which IMO should be universally
          blacklisted
          > and any group members allowing them to mine the email addresses of
          > other group members should, IMO, be immediately banned from the
          group.

          > I've copied the grouply message I received in my email tonight in
          its
          > entirety below, showing a From address of someone I don't know from
          > Adam, making this clearly a pure spam message. Does anyone know
          > anything that can be done to prevent these unsolicited, unwanted
          > grouply messages from being sent to group members, apparently
          through
          > someone's authorization for them to access our personal email
          > addresses here?
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > -Robert
          >
          > From: mujahidahadah_83 <mujahidahadah_83@...>
          > Date: Dec 21, 2008 10:15 PM
          > Subject: Admoe wants to add you as a friend :)
          > To: catch23@...
          >
          > We share the Y-Mail group. I want to add you as a friend in
          Grouply so
          > you can see my profile with my pictures, my groups, and my favorite
          > group messages.
          >
          > Here is the link:
          > http://www.grouply.com/register.php?r=2328217&vt=33436336 .
          >
          > Admoe Thea

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 31, 2008
            While I appreciate that this isn't related to the group topic per se,
            it seems a little ridiculous to me if Yahoo doesn't provide a better
            way for its group members to address this issue than to join a group
            for group OWNERS even if one is only a group member and not an owner,
            in order to address obvious spam from being (effectively) sent THROUGH
            their groups, rather than Yahoo's finding a way to completely block
            this obvious spam site's activities IN their groups.

            But I appreciate the reference to this other group nonetheless and am
            about to join now if that's the best I, or yahoo, or anyone in charge
            of this group has to offer, and won't continue "belaboring" the issue
            in this group other than this response and to respond to the other
            member who responded to my post on the issue. Thank you.

            Robert

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "fiction_scribe" <rosarium_pdx@...> wrote:

            > There has been much posting on this issue over at the Yahoo Group of
            > Groups - http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/yahoo_group_of_groups/
            >
            > Since the Grouply thing is Yahoo! Groups related and not technically
            > Y! Mail related, I would suggest reading the various threads on the
            > subject you'll find in the YGOG archives (some of them very recent).
            >
            > "The Delete Button is your friend and so is the Mark Spam Button."
            >
            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <catch23@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Is anyone else here getting these spam messages apparently sent
            > > courtesy of one or more members of this group? Grouply.com is a pure
            > > spam site, if not worse, which IMO should be universally blacklisted
            > > and any group members allowing them to mine the email addresses of
            > > other group members should, IMO, be immediately banned from the
            group.

            > > I've copied the grouply message I received in my email tonight in its
            > > entirety below, showing a From address of someone I don't know from
            > > Adam, making this clearly a pure spam message. Does anyone know
            > > anything that can be done to prevent these unsolicited, unwanted
            > > grouply messages from being sent to group members, apparently through
            > > someone's authorization for them to access our personal email
            > > addresses here?
            > >
            > > Thank you.
            > >
            > > -Robert
            > >
            > > From: mujahidahadah_83 <mujahidahadah_83@>
            > > Date: Dec 21, 2008 10:15 PM
            > > Subject: Admoe wants to add you as a friend :)
            > > To: catch23@
            > >
            > > We share the Y-Mail group. I want to add you as a friend in Grouply so
            > > you can see my profile with my pictures, my groups, and my favorite
            > > group messages.
            > >
            > > Here is the link:
            > > http://www.grouply.com/register.php?r=2328217&vt=33436336 .
            > >
            > > Admoe Thea

          • Robert
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 31, 2008
              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Terry" <modelpower2006@...> wrote:

              > The grouply site has a system of opting your group out
              > which requires visiting their site to do so .
              >
              > As my groups should never have been added without them
              > first asking permission, I am unwilling to risk
              > visiting the spam site.
              >
              > Grouply should have unsubscriptions by email
              > in the same manner as Yahoo Groups do .
              >
              > It is unwise to unsubscribe from a spammer's list
              > by visiting the spammer's home page

              Exactly. It's the fact that grouply requires groups and/or recipients
              of their messages to explicitly opt-out of something which they never
              opted IN to in the first place which makes grouply a pure spam site by
              the most widely-accepted definition of spam.

              Because this is so blatantly obvious, it's beyond me why all messages
              sent through said spamming site still haven't been universally
              blacklisted by yahoo and all other services -- or at least any with
              any concern about their own reputation as a service interested in
              "protecting" its users from obvious spam. This grouply site should
              have been driven out of business a long time ago, at least under its
              current domain name. Why is anyone still receiving messages from this
              obvious pure-spam operation?

              Anyway, this is my last message on this (technically} off-topic issue
              here, but as with any other such groups, if the issue isn't resolved
              I'll merely quit the group rather than further discussing it here. In
              any case, thanks for the response and for "indulging" my (technically)
              off-topic posts on this issue here.

              Robert

              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <catch23@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Is anyone else here getting these spam messages apparently sent
              > > courtesy of one or more members of this group? Grouply.com is a
              > pure
              > > spam site, if not worse, which IMO should be universally
              > blacklisted
              > > and any group members allowing them to mine the email addresses of
              > > other group members should, IMO, be immediately banned from the
              > group.
              > >
              > > I've copied the grouply message I received in my email tonight in
              > its
              > > entirety below, showing a From address of someone I don't know from
              > > Adam, making this clearly a pure spam message. Does anyone know
              > > anything that can be done to prevent these unsolicited, unwanted
              > > grouply messages from being sent to group members, apparently
              > through
              > > someone's authorization for them to access our personal email
              > > addresses here?
              > >
              > > Thank you.
              > >
              > > -Robert
              > >
              > > From: mujahidahadah_83 <mujahidahadah_83@>
              > > Date: Dec 21, 2008 10:15 PM
              > > Subject: Admoe wants to add you as a friend :)
              > > To: catch23@
              > >
              > > We share the Y-Mail group. I want to add you as a friend in
              > Grouply so
              > > you can see my profile with my pictures, my groups, and my favorite
              > > group messages.
              > >
              > > Here is the link:
              > > http://www.grouply.com/register.php?r=2328217&vt=33436336 .
              > >
              > > Admoe Thea

            • Shal Farley
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 31, 2008
                Robert,

                Contact the group's owner (through the -owner email address, listed at
                the bottom of the group's home page). They may not be aware that their
                group has been abused in this way, and may not be aware that they can
                put a stop to it. Forward the link to yahoo_group_of_groups to them.

                As far as your personal inbox is concerned, you can block further
                invites using the link provided by Grouply in the invite or possibly
                using the filter tools provided by Yahoo Mail. Terry's concerns to the
                contrary, I can assure you from personal experience that Grouply's site
                has not attempted any exploits of my computers, nor those of my group
                members who are satisfied users of Grouply's service.

                -- Shal
                yahoo_group_of_groups moderator

                Robert wrote:
                > While I appreciate that this isn't related to the group topic per se,
                > it seems a little ridiculous to me if Yahoo doesn't provide a better
                > way for its group members to address this issue than to join a group
                > for group OWNERS even if one is only a group member and not an owner,
              • Cindy Cozad-Rudinger
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 31, 2008
                  I received a forwarded message that included some photos. I'd like to forward this, so the photo stay intact, but I want to delete out all the email addresses and some of the extraneous text which is in the body of the message. Is there anyway to do this? Appreciate any ideas. cheers, Cindy

                  Obedience is a lifestyle...
                  Melanie...Border Collie mix
                  Reka...MJR's Eureka!!! RN...Norwegian Elkhound
                  Gimli...Vindarne's Lord of the Rings...Norwegian Elkhound
                • Nancy J
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 31, 2008
                    I'm managing very well with Grouply. First by opting out (easily done -- without any problems) for the groups that I manage or help to manage, and then ignoring/deleting the invites. I don't like Grouply SPAM, but it's managable.

                    I believe that Grouply chose the opt out instead of opting in because there are so many owners like myself who would have ignored the service if I hadn't been FORCED to deal with it! I personally wish that Yahoo had found a way not to have us deal with Grouply (especially if Yahoo isn't making money on the service), but that ship has sailed and Grouply is here. I say, don't let it bother you. Delete, delete, delete the invites, and encourage your group owners to opt out.

                    L8!

                    Nancy J
                    "It only takes a moment to kill what we believe"
                    lyrics from "Time Falling Down"
                    www.cindyalexander.com

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                      Just scroll down to the forwarded part and use the delete key or
                      backspace key to delete the e-mail addresses that someone who didn't
                      know how (or was to lazy) to use the BCC function included for all to see.

                      (FYI - This doesn't work if you don't have your e-mail set up to have
                      the original message appear as inline text.)

                      Hope this helps & have a Happy New Year!

                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Cindy Cozad-Rudinger <zadrud1@...> wrote:

                      > I received a forwarded message that included some photos. I'd like
                      to forward this, so the photo stay intact, but I want to delete out
                      all the email addresses and some of the extraneous text which is in
                      the body of the message. Is there anyway to do this? Appreciate any
                      ideas. cheers, Cindy

                      > Obedience is a lifestyle...
                      > Melanie...Border Collie mix
                      > Reka...MJR's Eureka!!! RN...Norwegian Elkhound
                      > Gimli...Vindarne's Lord of the Rings...Norwegian Elkhound

                    • Robin Siegel
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 4, 2009
                        I've found that this technique can sometimes be buggy. Unless I complete whatever text I want to add to the forwarded email before I scroll down to delete portions of the forwarded text, I can't do it afterward. Once I finish editing the forwarded portions, sometimes my cursor seems to disappear entirely. Not always - I'm not sure what controls it.

                        Robin Siegel
                        Home of Possum and the Pennyroyal Norwich terriers
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinsiegel/