Re: Mail Open Strategy nonsense (?)

  • morac1974
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2008
      The whole connections thing requires a Yahoo account which is kind of
      stupid. I went to test it and found a number of problems with the
      invites:

      Problem 1: If the invite gets lost or never arrives, then there is no
      way to send another invite. I tried sending an invite to one of my
      Comcast addresses and it never showed up. I guess Comcast blocks the
      invites since I can email my Comcast address from my Yahoo account
      just fine. Anyway after that you can no longer invite that address as
      they are already invited.

      Problem 2: Sending an invite to an address will add that address as an
      alternate email address when the receiver accepts the invite. This
      actually resulted in the same email address being added to two
      different Yahoo accounts.

      While testing, I sent an invite from my main Yahoo account to a GMail
      address associated with that Yahoo account. I couldn't accept the
      invite on my main Yahoo account (since you can't invite yourself), so
      I accepted it on an alternate Yahoo account. At this point it added
      the GMail address as an alterate email address to the alternate
      account even though that email address is already an alternate on my
      main Yahoo account.

      Unfortunately because of a bug in the account management page, there
      is no way to actually remove alternate email addresses from your
      account (it just marks them as "pending") so now I have my Gmail
      address associated with both my primary Yahoo account and "Pending" on
      my second Yahoo account.

      Personally it's not worth the hassle so I disabled connections in Yahoo.

      Oh and make sure you turn off Updates in your profile because it
      defaults to letting the entire world know everything you do on Yahoo.
      This last part is a major privacy snafu.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 16, 2008
        agree on the last point about your boss - it'll become useful when you can start filtering for specific people, not just connections. This apparently is coming, according to Ryan's webcast on the Y Mail blog.

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 17, 2008
          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "morac1974" <mjk4984@...> wrote:

          > [etc., etc.]
          >
          > Personally it's not worth the hassle so I disabled connections in
          Yahoo.

          So how'd you disable connections? So far all that I've done is to
          toggle View > Show Quick Filter Bar, and that makes that View All or
          From Connections thingy go away. Instead of Connections, I do filters
          to have important stuff go to important folders.

          <rant>
          I believe that Yahoo! has got several applications that overlap
          confusingly with each other, like the Profile page which is looking like
          a Facebook Profile page; and then we have Yahoo! 360, which looks kinda
          social, kinda blog; and we have MyBlogLog, which I guess is a blog. I
          don't know to which product to direct my energy, and which of these has
          the more traffic.

          So I do Facebook.
          So I do Blogger.

          Yahoo! needs to focus particular features to single entry points.
          Yahoo! could be a one-stop social site if it would trim down the
          offerings to one profile, one blog, one of each aspect, instead of
          giving us a smogasbord that confuses everybody.
          </rant>

          Or is it just me? I am over 30, so I get confused easily.
        • morac1974
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 17, 2008
            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Lloyd Haskins" <lmhaskins@...> wrote:

            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "morac1974" <mjk4984@> wrote:
            > >
            > > [etc., etc.]
            > >
            > > Personally it's not worth the hassle so I disabled connections in
            > Yahoo.
            >
            > So how'd you disable connections? So far all that I've done is to
            > toggle View > Show Quick Filter Bar, and that makes that View All or
            > From Connections thingy go away. Instead of Connections, I do filters
            > to have important stuff go to important folders.

            I guess I should clarify that I disabled in on the Yahoo Mail page by
            going into the options and unchecking the "use connection" check box.
            Apparently there is no way to completely disable "conenctions" from
            showing up in other areas on Yahoo and bugging you to invite people,
            but at least you can turn off updates.

            Basically Yahoo is trying to be like Myspace or Facebook. To me that
            is not a good thing.