Alternate email address removal bug

  • morac1974
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2008
      I'm running into a problem which I tried to report to support but they
      appear clueless.

      I had 7 alternate email addresses associated with my Yahoo account. I
      deleted 4 of them from the "Manage your email addresses" page and they
      no longer show up on that page. The problem is that they now show up
      on the Account Information page
      (http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_profile) as "(pending)" and are
      taking up 4 of the allowable 10 alternate email address slots.

      The 4 bogus alternates aren't actually active as I won't get email to
      those addresses, but they still show up on my account.

      I could re-add one of the deleted alternate email addresses to my
      account and it would then no longer show as "(pending)" on the Account
      Info page, but if I deleted it again, it would revert back to "(pending)".

      I recreated this problem on both my primary Yahoo accoutn and a test
      account I have. On the test account I managed to get into a very bad
      state, by adding 10 bogus email addresses which I never verified. I
      then removed 9 of them (it wouldn't let me remove the last one) so
      there is only 1 listed on the email management page, but now it won't
      let me add any more email addresses because it says I'm at my max. At
      this point there is 1 alternate address on the email management page
      and 10 "(pending)" addresses on the Account Info page (including one
      email address that's already associated with my primary Yahoo account).

      I have a feeling this problem was caused by the changes they made
      earlier this year to the email management page. It used to be part of
      the account management page, but now is now on a different page.

      Has anyone else seen this problem and how can I report this as a bug?
    • Shal Farley
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 16, 2008
        I ran into this, or something similar, back on August 13th. The work-around I found at the time was to use the "Edit" link on the "My Account" page instead of "Add/Remove" from of "My Email Preferences". It looks like you get to the same page either way, but I found the latter route to result in the email address actually being removed.

        However there have been some changes to the related pages since then, and a quick test just now leaves me also with a (pending) address that isn't there. Drat. At least it doesn't also show up on the My Email Preferences page nor in the Edit My Groups drop-downs.

        So... I'll be interested in hearing if you find a solution. I got nowhere trying to report this to Customer Care back then, and I have an (unrelated) open issue with them at the moment, so I'm not too eager to go round the loop again just now.

        -- Shal

        At 11:44 AM 12/16/2008, you wrote:
        >I'm running into a problem which I tried to report to support but they
        >appear clueless.
        >
        >I had 7 alternate email addresses associated with my Yahoo account. I
        >deleted 4 of them from the "Manage your email addresses" page and they
        >no longer show up on that page. The problem is that they now show up
        >on the Account Information page
        >(http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_profile) as "(pending)" and are
        >taking up 4 of the allowable 10 alternate email address slots.
        >I have a feeling this problem was caused by the changes they made
        >earlier this year to the email management page. It used to be part of
        >the account management page, but now is now on a different page.
        >
        >Has anyone else seen this problem and how can I report this as a bug?
      • Sasafrass
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 17, 2008
          I'm having this problem as well. The address is "stuck" in the account information, but it can't be removed. In an attempt to fix the problem, I now have 2 addresses stuck there. I contacted Yahoo, so hopefully they can fix it. This is very frustrating!

        • jmchaur
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 17, 2008
            Don't report this to customer care for y!mail, they can't fix it. It
            has to be reported to, and handled by, the account security team
            because it a bug with the main account details page, not with the
            mail product.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "morac1974" <mjk4984@...> wrote:

            > I'm running into a problem which I tried to report to support but
            they
            > appear clueless.
            >
            > I had 7 alternate email addresses associated with my Yahoo
            account. I
            > deleted 4 of them from the "Manage your email addresses" page and
            they
            > no longer show up on that page. The problem is that they now show
            up
            > on the Account Information page
            > (http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_profile) as "(pending)" and are
            > taking up 4 of the allowable 10 alternate email address slots.
            >
            > The 4 bogus alternates aren't actually active as I won't get email
            > those addresses, but they still show up on my account.
            >
            > I could re-add one of the deleted alternate email addresses to my
            > account and it would then no longer show as "(pending)" on the
            Account
            > Info page, but if I deleted it again, it would revert back
            to "(pending)".

            > I recreated this problem on both my primary Yahoo accoutn and a test
            > account I have. On the test account I managed to get into a very
            bad
            > state, by adding 10 bogus email addresses which I never verified. I
            > then removed 9 of them (it wouldn't let me remove the last one) so
            > there is only 1 listed on the email management page, but now it
            won't
            > let me add any more email addresses because it says I'm at my max.
            At
            > this point there is 1 alternate address on the email management page
            > and 10 "(pending)" addresses on the Account Info page (including one
            > email address that's already associated with my primary Yahoo
            account).

            > I have a feeling this problem was caused by the changes they made
            > earlier this year to the email management page. It used to be part
            of
            > the account management page, but now is now on a different page.
            >
            > Has anyone else seen this problem and how can I report this as a
            bug?

          • morac1974
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 17, 2008
              I managed to get the number for the account security team and was told
              that they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Considering
              I first ran into the problem about 6 months ago, I guess they are
              working very slowly on it.

              The good news is that the "deleted" accounts aren't active (i.e.,
              email won't get sent out to them). So the only downside is that they
              take up an email slot.

              The bad news is that they take up an email slot so if you hit 10
              deleted email addresses you can't add any more.

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jmchaur" <jmchaur@...> wrote:

              > Don't report this to customer care for y!mail, they can't fix it. It
              > has to be reported to, and handled by, the account security team
              > because it a bug with the main account details page, not with the
              > mail product.

              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "morac1974" <mjk4984@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm running into a problem which I tried to report to support but
              > they
              > > appear clueless.
              > >
              > > I had 7 alternate email addresses associated with my Yahoo
              > account. I
              > > deleted 4 of them from the "Manage your email addresses" page and
              > they
              > > no longer show up on that page. The problem is that they now show
              > up
              > > on the Account Information page
              > > (http://edit.yahoo.com/config/eval_profile) as "(pending)" and are
              > > taking up 4 of the allowable 10 alternate email address slots.
              > >
              > > The 4 bogus alternates aren't actually active as I won't get email
              > > those addresses, but they still show up on my account.
              > >
              > > I could re-add one of the deleted alternate email addresses to my
              > > account and it would then no longer show as "(pending)" on the
              > Account
              > > Info page, but if I deleted it again, it would revert back
              > to "(pending)".
              > >
              > > I recreated this problem on both my primary Yahoo accoutn and a test
              > > account I have. On the test account I managed to get into a very
              > bad
              > > state, by adding 10 bogus email addresses which I never verified. I
              > > then removed 9 of them (it wouldn't let me remove the last one) so
              > > there is only 1 listed on the email management page, but now it
              > won't
              > > let me add any more email addresses because it says I'm at my max.
              > At
              > > this point there is 1 alternate address on the email management page
              > > and 10 "(pending)" addresses on the Account Info page (including one
              > > email address that's already associated with my primary Yahoo
              > account).
              > >
              > > I have a feeling this problem was caused by the changes they made
              > > earlier this year to the email management page. It used to be part
              > of
              > > the account management page, but now is now on a different page.
              > >
              > > Has anyone else seen this problem and how can I report this as a
              > bug?

            • Bubo Damen
              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 2009
                To give an update on this issue after 6 months:
                My deleted accounts are NOT visible on the account page, but after 6 months still DO show up on the groups email accounts page and f.i. on Yahoo 360.
                Customer service approached: indeed, they still are "aware of the problem".

                I tried to re-add the emailaccount (impossible, "blocked"), but it is still possible to subscribe to f.i. any given Yahoo with that deleted account...