Single click opening email

  • Nancy J
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 30, 2008
      Because I have a slow computer, I often have to single click on an email at the bottom of the list in a folder to choose it in order to maneuver further down the list. I receive hundreds of emails a day, and only a certain amount fit per page of course.

      But in the last few days, I notice that when I single click on an email, it opens. Agggh. Then I have to close it, to then move down the list using the arrows.

      I seem to remember that opening was always double click. If that has changed, Ryan, please tell the powers that be, that some of us need that double click to open. Okay, I-I-I-I -- MEMEMEME -- I need the double click. Otherwise, it hampers my moving through several pages of email from just a single day. If I have several days -- like today -- because I've been ill -- it makes it very diffuclt to go through the pages and pages of email that I have.

      L8!

      Nancy J
      "It only takes a moment to kill what we believe"
      lyrics from "Time Falling Down"
      www.cindyalexander.com

      http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj
    • Nancy J

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 30, 2008
          Just to let you know. . . we did this on purpose b/c many
          users don't understand double-click in a web context.

          It was also made in part b/c we still have a lot of people
          using classic mail, where you can just single click on a message.
          Many people get peeved at new mail b/c it doesn't work the same
          way, and switch back to classic (which we at yahoo don't want),
          so we added this small feature.

          Also you only have to click on the subject for this to happen, and
          then once in a message tab you can also just use the back/forth arrows
          to change messages within that tab.

          Sean
          Y-Mail Senior Engineer

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Nancy J <ordinaryfoolisnj@...> wrote:

          > Never mind. I discovered that if I click to the side of the email,
          it still will choose that one and not open. This is different than it
          was previously, but acceptable.

          > L8!
          >

          > Nancy J
          > "It only takes a moment to kill what we believe"
          > lyrics from "Time Falling Down"
          > www.cindyalexander.com
          >

          > http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

        • Ryan Lee
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 30, 2008
            which browser are you using?

            I have Firefox, and single clicking a mail doesn't open it for me.

            Try clearing your browser cache/files to see if they fixes any funny behavior.

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 31, 2008
              I noticed this new feature recently.
              Seems the single-click opens the email in a new tab when the
              mail-preview is not open. Clicking on the subject opens the email.
              Clicking elsewhere on the email (e.g. sender, etc) only highlights it.
              I'm using Firefox by the way.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 31, 2008
                You have to have your reading/preview pane turned off. . .

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Lee <ryaniclee@...> wrote:

                > which browser are you using?
                >
                > I have Firefox, and single clicking a mail doesn't open it for me.
                >
                > Try clearing your browser cache/files to see if they fixes any funny
                behavior.

                > ________________________________

              • Michael Taylor-Judd
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2008
                  Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the new hyper-linked "subject" lines either!

                  Michael 8-)

                  "Whatever we once were, we are no longer just a Christian nation; we are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers." --Barack Obama

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008
                    I just wish changes that are so directly going to impact everyday
                    use were explained upfront - release notes or something. it took me
                    a couple of hours (not of constant use, checking email periodically)
                    before I figured out to select an email without opening it by
                    clicking anywhere but the title.

                    Why does that matter? becasue sometimes I hand sort based on sender
                    before I even read it... but they kept opening on me... So I had to
                    mark them as non read and use the Actions list to move them to the
                    proper folder instead of dragging them.

                    And why mark them unread? That's how I track emails I need to go
                    look into, I do that becasue folders only alert you to unread, NOT
                    to flagged messages inside them.