Re: Yahoo Mail search beta glitch

  • que_onda_sf
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
      I don't have this problem... It searches all of my attachments, even
      if several are attached to the same message. Is it an obscure file
      type that isn't getting searched?

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "berklb" <berklb@y...> wrote:
      > I am using the Yahoo mail search beta and have found that it only
      > indexes the first attachment of a multi-attachment email. Has anyone
      > else encountered this and/or have a fix?
    • berklb
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
        8 pdf's on the same email.

        L.B.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "que_onda_sf" <deadecon99@y...> wrote:
        > I don't have this problem... It searches all of my attachments, even
        > if several are attached to the same message. Is it an obscure file
        > type that isn't getting searched?
        >

        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "berklb" <berklb@y...> wrote:
        > > I am using the Yahoo mail search beta and have found that it only
        > > indexes the first attachment of a multi-attachment email. Has anyone
        > > else encountered this and/or have a fix?
      • Daniel
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13, 2005
          Well mine doesnt find anything... no matter what I search for, it
          comes back with "Sorry. We didn't find any results matching the
          following criteria". Is there something I should know?

          :-D

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "berklb" <berklb@y...> wrote:
          > 8 pdf's on the same email.
          >
          > L.B.
          >

          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "que_onda_sf" <deadecon99@y...> wrote:
          > > I don't have this problem... It searches all of my attachments,
          even
          > > if several are attached to the same message. Is it an obscure
          file
          > > type that isn't getting searched?
          > >

          > > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "berklb" <berklb@y...> wrote:
          > > > I am using the Yahoo mail search beta and have found that it only
          > > > indexes the first attachment of a multi-attachment email. Has
          anyone
          > > > else encountered this and/or have a fix?
        • jbeaul
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13, 2005
            Yahoo! began a "phased rollout" of the mail search function. Is it
            possible that it hasn't reached your account yet?

            There has been the ability to search email for some time, but this
            new feature provides a fuller view of the search results and the
            carries the ability to search within some types of attachments (e.g.
            PDFs).

            Joe

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 13, 2005
              I have their beta version with a whole introduction on how to use
              it. The only problem is when i search for something I know is there,
              it comes back with "Sorry. We didn't find any results matching the
              following criteria".

              Maybe they've forgotten to plug it in or summink.

              :-D

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 13, 2005
                Hmmm... dunno what you're working with since the new search
                mechanism in Y! Mail is not a beta version and I don't recall
                a "whole introduction on how to use it." Could you be looking at
                something else?

                The acid test is to look below your Y! Mail folders list (on left
                side) and see if your Y! Mail account shows the new Search
                Shortcuts - "My Photos" and "My Attachments". If they're there, you
                do have the updated Search feature. If you can explain what you're
                searching for and where you expect to find it (what type of mail
                attachment in what folder) we may be able to assist you.

                If you do not see the new shortcuts you will need to wait until the
                roll out reaches your account.

                For the benefit of others in the group who may be reading this,
                according to Drew Garcia, Sr. Product Mgr - Y! Mail, "So when are
                these features coming to a mailbox near you? We are rolling out
                these features gradually to give us time to thumbnail the millions
                of photos and attachments and index the billions of messages Yahoo!
                Mail users around the world have accumulated (we're talking about
                petabytes of data). The new system is designed to be a global
                solution and requires deployment in all of our data centers
                worldwide. We're working as fast as we can, but please be patient if
                you don't see the features right away."

                BTW: I have had no problems locating search strings within
                attachments, even when there are multiple attachments on a single
                mail message.

                Hope this helps.

                Joe

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <spanzspam@t...> wrote:
                > I have their beta version with a whole introduction on how to use
                > it. The only problem is when i search for something I know is
                there,
                > it comes back with "Sorry. We didn't find any results matching the
                > following criteria".
                >
                > Maybe they've forgotten to plug it in or summink.
                >
                > :-D

              • Daniel
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 13, 2005
                  Yes, I have the search shortcuts and whether I do a basic search or
                  an advanced search for a term that I know is in a subject line, main
                  body, address line, attachment or photo, I get that "can't find
                  nuffink" message.

                  The intro I speak of is a little box at the top of my inbox that
                  reads "Mail Search just got better. Learn more." When I click
                  on "learn more" it takes me to:
                  http://help.yahoo.com/us/tutorials/mail/mail/mail_search1.html

                  Rule 1 in marketing: dont launch something that doesnt yet work.

                  I'm sure they'll remember to plug me in at some point but at the
                  moment my new "updated search feature" doesnt work at all... not
                  even the basic search I used to be able to do

                  :'(

                  I have sent Y! an error report so i'll wait n see...

                  I'm happy to hear it works for you tho.

                  :-D

                  p.s. I hope they incorporate more of MyWeb into Y! Mail cos MyWeb is
                  just fantastic and has such huge potential to be the next big
                  thing ... so many good sites I would never have found if it weren't
                  for the people on MyWeb.