Re: [Y-Mail] YMail (Zimbra) Security Problem

  • too_much green_tea
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2008
      From what was written, it appears to be limited to the authentication process specific to IMAP, and there are only 3 products using it at this moment (AFAIK) - iPhone, Blackberry, and Zimbra (YMail's desktop client).

      Yahoo's POP3 is over SSL, so it shouldn't be affected.

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
        I was trying to remember the platforms info you have here before posting my respond last night, and just couldn't remember where I read it  X_X

        Thanks for the info!

        Ryan, as far as I can tell, one can access Y Mail on IMAP via Zimbra, iPhone and Windows Mobile 6 - I use the latter on my HTC Touch Diamond and it works a treat. Is the issue of unencrypted passwords being sent over the IMAP server specific to Zimbra or all programs using IMAP for Yahoo Mail?

        Thank you
        Gabriel

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008

          no problem. i left blackberry off my list actually. Windows Mobile was the surprising one as I've never seen it advertised. But I just typed in my email address and password into the HTC Touch Diamond and it automatically synced me up with IMAP server. It's great.

          However, Ryan, is it possible if we could have clarification whether this password security problem is specific to Zimbra or to any application using Yahoo's IMAP servers? Having had my account hacked into recently, I'm keen to avoid this again. I'm beginning to wonder whether this was the source of how it happened in the first place.

          Many thanks

          Gabriel

          I was trying to remember the platforms info you have here before posting my respond last night, and just couldn't remember where I read it  X_X

          Thanks for the info!

          Ryan, as far as I can tell, one can access Y Mail on IMAP via Zimbra, iPhone and Windows Mobile 6 - I use the latter on my HTC Touch Diamond and it works a treat. Is the issue of unencrypted passwords being sent over the IMAP server specific to Zimbra or all programs using IMAP for Yahoo Mail?

          Thank you
          Gabriel

          If you have been using the desktop client, please consider switching to the web client for the time being.

          http://www.webmonke y.com/blog/ Yahoo_Mail_ Security_ Flaw_Exposes_ Passwords

        • 63SuperSport
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
            Any tricks in Yahoo to using a different font than the few they provide in the text box? Also, how can I keep the Bcc open, instead of having to open it each email?
            Thanks