YMail (Zimbra) Security Problem

  • too_much green_tea
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30 5:25 AM
      If you have been using the desktop client, please consider switching to the web client for the time being.

      http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Yahoo_Mail_Security_Flaw_Exposes_Passwords

    • Cindy Cozad-Rudinger
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 30 8:00 AM
        What is meant by "client"?
        Thanx! Cindy

        Obedience is a lifestyle...
        Melanie...Flat-Coated Retriever mix &
        Reka...MJR's Eureka!!! RN...Norwegian Elkhound

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30 9:27 AM
          Thanks very much for the info.

          Ryan, as far as I can tell, one can access Y Mail on IMAP via Zimbra, iPhone and Windows Mobile 6 - I use the latter on my HTC Touch Diamond and it works a treat. Is the issue of unencrypted passwords being sent over the IMAP server specific to Zimbra or all programs using IMAP for Yahoo Mail?

          Thank you
          Gabriel

          If you have been using the desktop client, please consider switching to the web client for the time being.

          http://www.webmonke y.com/blog/ Yahoo_Mail_ Security_ Flaw_Exposes_ Passwords

        • Kurt Norris
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30 5:35 PM
            if you get your Email Through a program like microsoft outlook

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30 10:44 PM
              From what was written, it appears to be limited to the authentication process specific to IMAP, and there are only 3 products using it at this moment (AFAIK) - iPhone, Blackberry, and Zimbra (YMail's desktop client).

              Yahoo's POP3 is over SSL, so it shouldn't be affected.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
                I was trying to remember the platforms info you have here before posting my respond last night, and just couldn't remember where I read it  X_X

                Thanks for the info!

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008

                  no problem. i left blackberry off my list actually. Windows Mobile was the surprising one as I've never seen it advertised. But I just typed in my email address and password into the HTC Touch Diamond and it automatically synced me up with IMAP server. It's great.

                  However, Ryan, is it possible if we could have clarification whether this password security problem is specific to Zimbra or to any application using Yahoo's IMAP servers? Having had my account hacked into recently, I'm keen to avoid this again. I'm beginning to wonder whether this was the source of how it happened in the first place.

                  Many thanks

                  Gabriel

                  I was trying to remember the platforms info you have here before posting my respond last night, and just couldn't remember where I read it  X_X

                  Thanks for the info!

                  Ryan, as far as I can tell, one can access Y Mail on IMAP via Zimbra, iPhone and Windows Mobile 6 - I use the latter on my HTC Touch Diamond and it works a treat. Is the issue of unencrypted passwords being sent over the IMAP server specific to Zimbra or all programs using IMAP for Yahoo Mail?

                  Thank you
                  Gabriel

                  If you have been using the desktop client, please consider switching to the web client for the time being.

                  http://www.webmonke y.com/blog/ Yahoo_Mail_ Security_ Flaw_Exposes_ Passwords

                • 63SuperSport
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
                    Any tricks in Yahoo to using a different font than the few they provide in the text box? Also, how can I keep the Bcc open, instead of having to open it each email?
                    Thanks