Re: [Y-Mail] Re: New Extra Email addy and Yahoogroups Question

  • Shal Farley
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008
      Charlie,

      The behavior you describe sounds like you went to My Email Preferences and clicked "Edit" next to your @yahoo address, then added the dotted address as an Alternate Posting Address. Those are always converted to the main address when posted to the group.

      The key step:

      Go to the "My Groups" page, "Edit" tab. Use the drop-lists to select the dotted address for use in any groups you desire. The dotted address won't be shown as your "From" address in email postings unless it is selected here.

      In an earlier message I think you indicated that the dotted address isn't in the drop lists.

      Try this (but first remove the dotted address from the Alternate Posting Addresses if you added it there). Caveat: I haven't actually tried this with a dotted address, but this is how it works for non-Yahoo addresses.

      From "My Account" (after confirming your password) click "Edit" on the "Email Information" bar. On the "Manage your email addresses" page* click "Add another" (at the bottom of the list). Add your dotted address here. There's some chance you'll get stuck here because normally you can't add an @yahoo address as an alternate to a different Yahoo account; but maybe dotted addresses are "special" in this regard.

      You'll be prompted to verify the address. Yahoo will send an email to the dotted address, containing instructions to verify that you receive mail at that address (reply or enter a code at a web page).

      You may want to try posting in one of the "groups about groups", someone there probably knows about dotted Yahoo addresses.

      -- Shal
      Moderator, GroupManagersForum & yahoo_group_of_groups (Yahoo Groups about Groups)
      <http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/ideas/ideas-01.html>

      * This page is also supposed to work from "My Email Preferences", but I've run into trouble recently using it from there.