Re: [Y-Mail] New Extra Email addy and Yahoogroups Question

  • Ryan Lee
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2008
      You have to add it to your Yahoo! account I think.
      More info here:  http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/members/email/email-03.html

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2008
        The addy with the dot in it shows up as already there when I try to add a address but when I go to Email Preferences to choose that address it does not show in the list. When looking at the addy on my account the button the choose it is blank and can not be clicked to use it.

        Charlie

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 7, 2008
          This is actually a Groups issue not a mail issue, but that said...

          When you go to your groups account, and click on show all for your
          groups, there should be an 'edit email preferences' link. click this,
          then click the 'add email address' link to add the new alias to your
          groups account. just creating it in mail does not add it to groups.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Collins" <i.guard@...> wrote:

          > The addy with the dot in it shows up as already there when I try to
          add a
          > address but when I go to Email Preferences to choose that address it
          does
          > not show in the list. When looking at the addy on my account the
          button the
          > choose it is blank and can not be clicked to use it.
          >
          > Charlie
          >

          > On 9/6/08, Ryan Lee <ryaniclee@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > You have to add it to your Yahoo! account I think.
          > > More info here:

          http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/members/email/email-03.html

        • Charlie Collins
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 7, 2008
            I went to one to a group that has had very little traffic recently and sent a test email using the address with the dot in it. YG accepted and posted the message. The only thing is the dot address did not show as the sender it showed my main Yahoo email address. I sent the mail from Yahoo Mail and not the Mac Mail.app
            or Thunderbird. I wanted my dot address to show and NOT my main address. So, I guess I will not be using Yahoo for mail after all. I'll stick with Mailplane and Gmail(or Fastmail.fm).

            Charlie

            On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 10:47, jmchaur <jmchaur@...> wrote:
            This is actually a Groups issue not a mail issue, but that said...

            When you go to your groups account, and click on show all for your
            groups, there should be an 'edit email preferences' link.  click this,
            then click the 'add email address' link to add the new alias to your
            groups account.  just creating it in mail does not add it to groups.

          • Shal Farley
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2008
              Charlie,

              The behavior you describe sounds like you went to My Email Preferences and clicked "Edit" next to your @yahoo address, then added the dotted address as an Alternate Posting Address. Those are always converted to the main address when posted to the group.

              The key step:

              Go to the "My Groups" page, "Edit" tab. Use the drop-lists to select the dotted address for use in any groups you desire. The dotted address won't be shown as your "From" address in email postings unless it is selected here.

              In an earlier message I think you indicated that the dotted address isn't in the drop lists.

              Try this (but first remove the dotted address from the Alternate Posting Addresses if you added it there). Caveat: I haven't actually tried this with a dotted address, but this is how it works for non-Yahoo addresses.

              From "My Account" (after confirming your password) click "Edit" on the "Email Information" bar. On the "Manage your email addresses" page* click "Add another" (at the bottom of the list). Add your dotted address here. There's some chance you'll get stuck here because normally you can't add an @yahoo address as an alternate to a different Yahoo account; but maybe dotted addresses are "special" in this regard.

              You'll be prompted to verify the address. Yahoo will send an email to the dotted address, containing instructions to verify that you receive mail at that address (reply or enter a code at a web page).

              You may want to try posting in one of the "groups about groups", someone there probably knows about dotted Yahoo addresses.

              -- Shal
              Moderator, GroupManagersForum & yahoo_group_of_groups (Yahoo Groups about Groups)
              <http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/ideas/ideas-01.html>

              * This page is also supposed to work from "My Email Preferences", but I've run into trouble recently using it from there.