attack on my email account

  • gpollara
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2008
      somehow someone has gained access to my email account and has sent a
      spam email (some advert for fake chinese electronics) to everyone in
      my address book. How do I report this and prevent it happening again?
      I've changed my account password. I thought that was a start.
    • Sasafrass
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 9, 2008
        Changing your password is always a good idea, but you might have a virus/trojan/worm which is generally how hackers get your password. Scan your system immediately! If you see any further evidence of someone accessing your account, contact Yahoo Support right away! You might also want to set up a new account. Go to http://security.yahoo.com for more info.

            mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 9, 2008
          thank you. i'm currently running a virus + spyware scan and have also contacted yahoo security.
          Any other advice/previous experience from others is welcome.
          Thanks

          gpollara wrote:

          somehow someone has gained access to my email account and has sent a
          spam email (some advert for fake chinese electronics) to everyone in
          my address book. How do I report this and prevent it happening again?
          I've changed my account password. I thought that was a start.

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Y-Mail/ join

          mailto:Y-Mail- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
          mailto:Y-Mail- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

          http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

        • Michael Taylor-Judd
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2008
            That happened to me awhile back, too... Yahoo won't do anything about it.

            Michael 8-)

            "Whatever we once were, we are no longer just a Christian nation; we are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers." --Barack Obama

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10, 2008
              Thanks for that Michael. Good to lower my expectations! Has it happened to you again since? What did you do prevent it happening again?
              Cheers