Re: URGENT / need help / entire INBOX gone / 3 years work

  • heinz57g
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 1, 2008
      tks christian, thats pretty much how i feel.

      for backup, i think an external solution is the one to go for. there
      are some systems that are specially geared for this, i will look into
      this further. and naturally, a good pop3 client will also do.

      this leaves the question of those mails in between. if i backup every
      two or three months, what happens if yahoo vanishes with all the mail
      in-between? its gone.

      so for the time being this is what i've set up today: another online
      service with nearly unlimited storage space picks up mail from yahoo
      every 15 minutes. stores it untill i might need it. peace of mind?
      to a degree.

      the main question, why has this happened, and can the user do anything
      to avoid it in future, i think will remain unanswered.

      greetings - heinz -

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Christian <cdpostbox-ygroups@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm glad your e-mail is back. Knowing a litte about how e-mail is
      stored and works I knew it was there somewhere. They probably had to
      go in and remove some rouge e-mail in your inbox which broke the
      connection between the Yahoo! Mail IU and you mail box.

      > I travel a lot all over the world myself. What saves me is my quad
      band Blackberry where I always have three months worth of Yahoo! Mail
      available. I can use the phone almost everywhere I go except Japan.

      > What I do after I had my Yahoo! Mail inbox disappear is
      downloading all mail to regular e-mail client, and then empty my
      Yahoo! account. I archive the downloaded e-mail locally. I do that
      when I have about 5K e-mails on Yahoo! since it seems like problems
      are more likely to happen with a lot of mail on the server. Too bad
      the archiving functionality in Yahoo! Mail doesn't work right. It
      actually sometimes renders the account unusable for a while if you
      try to archive a lot of messages. This may have changed lately, but I
      simply do not dare to try!

      > All in all, Yahoo! Mail Plus is a commercial service. I would be
      willing to pay more to have it more redundant with better support,
      but it doesn't seem like Yahoo! want to pursue that business further
      than the Yahoo! Mail Plus product. I am currently looking at
      solutions from Everyone.net and USA.net. Both are focusing on hosted
      commercial e-mail solutions, but I would hate to have to leave
      Yahoo!. I am used to seeing the silly logo and be proud of trusting
      my e-mail being with a company with a name like Yahoo!. If I had told
      someone in 1991 that in the next ten years one of the most important
      companies in the US will be called Yahoo! I would have been laughed
      at. Well, some people I know laugh at me now for staying with Yahoo!,
      but that's not because the name is silly, but rather since they are
      looking at Yahoo! as not being worth much these days.

      > --
      > Christian

    • heinz57g
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 1, 2008