New Calendar - Anybody a clue?

  • Rob Igo
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 15, 2008
      Hi Guys

      anybody have ANY serious idea when it's coming as I feel like we're just getting fobbed off.

      Anybody from Yahoo reading who can shed some light?  Is it actually going to happen or is it on a back burner?

    • Jason J. McCord
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 15, 2008

        Rob,

        You are right. If Yahoo! don't start revamping other things like calendar, notepad, and the rest of the mail options people are going to get fed up and go somewhere else.

        God Bless,
        Jason J. McCord

        anybody have ANY serious idea when it's coming as I feel like we're just getting fobbed off.

        Anybody from Yahoo reading who can shed some light?  Is it actually going to happen or is it on a back burner?

      • h_c_wang
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 15, 2008
          We're in the process of internal testing and plan to offer a new
          version before the end of the year.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Rob Igo <robigouk@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys
          > anybody have ANY serious idea when it's coming as I feel like we're
          just getting fobbed off.
          > Anybody from Yahoo reading who can shed some light?  Is it actually
          going to happen or is it on a back burner?

        • jmchaur
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 15, 2008
            Last I heard the new calendar was in internal testing, with the public
            beta expected before the end of 2008.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Rob Igo <robigouk@...> wrote:

            > Hi Guys
            > anybody have ANY serious idea when it's coming as I feel like we're
            just getting fobbed off.
            > Anybody from Yahoo reading who can shed some light? Is it actually
            going to happen or is it on a back burner?

          • allruiz
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 15, 2008
              The lack of a new calendar and IMAP is pushing me to Google.

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jmchaur" <jmchaur@...> wrote:

              > Last I heard the new calendar was in internal testing, with the public
              > beta expected before the end of 2008.

              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Rob Igo <robigouk@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Guys
              > > anybody have ANY serious idea when it's coming as I feel like we're
              > just getting fobbed off.
              > > Anybody from Yahoo reading who can shed some light? Is it actually
              > going to happen or is it on a back burner?

            • librarysteve57
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 15, 2008
                If you really need IMAP, then by all means, switch to Gmail right now.
                It's not a deal-breaker for me -- it would be nice, but it's not
                essential.

                As for the calendar, Yahoo lets me send event reminders to whatever
                email address I want (my Yahoo address, my work account, whatever).
                Gmail only lets you send reminders to your Gmail address. That's just
                unacceptable to me.

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "allruiz" <allruiz@...> wrote:

                > The lack of a new calendar and IMAP is pushing me to Google.
              • Ryan Lee
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 15, 2008
                  Good pt, I have reminders sent to my IM and Phone.

                  As another poster mentioned, the new calendar will be coming out later in the year.
                  Can hardly wait to see it, I hope it comes sooner.

                  If you really need IMAP, then by all means, switch to Gmail right now.
                  It's not a deal-breaker for me -- it would be nice, but it's not
                  essential.

                  As for the calendar, Yahoo lets me send event reminders to whatever
                  email address I want (my Yahoo address, my work account, whatever).
                  Gmail only lets you send reminders to your Gmail address. That's just
                  unacceptable to me.

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "allruiz" <allruiz@... > wrote:

                  > The lack of a new calendar and IMAP is pushing me to Google.

                • Brian VanArsdale
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 15, 2008
                    I don't know what you all think about it or if you've heard about it but gmx.com has a pretty reliable and nice set of features for mail and a really slick calendar. I signed up with their mail service about a month ago and haven't had any problems.  Just started playing around with the calendar today and it's really nice.  GMX offers pop and imap and no advertising that I've seen and it's all free. It's worth checking out in my opinion.

                    Brian

                    The lack of a new calendar and IMAP is pushing me to Google.

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "jmchaur" <jmchaur@... > wrote:

                    > Last I heard the new calendar was in internal testing, with the public
                    > beta expected before the end of 2008.

                    > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, Rob Igo <robigouk@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Guys
                    > > anybody have ANY serious idea when it's coming as I feel like we're
                    > just getting fobbed off.
                    > > Anybody from Yahoo reading who can shed some light? Is it actually
                    > going to happen or is it on a back burner?

                  • Christian
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 15, 2008
                      Looks nice, but limited storage quota.

                      --
                      Christian

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 15, 2008
                        I guess if you find 5gb limited.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                          Thanks for the tip; this looks like a really nice service.

                          I didn't see any advertising anywhere; I wonder how they expect to keep
                          this going?

                          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Brian VanArsdale <bv802@...> wrote:

                          > I don't know what you all think about it or if you've heard about
                          > it but gmx.com has a pretty reliable and nice set of features for
                          > mail and a really slick calendar.
                        • too_much green_tea
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                            Details are always in the privacy policy.
                            http://mail-us.gmx.com/us/cgi/g.fcgi/corporate/privacy

                            All I can say is ... no thanks.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                              They are the same company as gmx.net which is to Germany the equivalent of US Yahoo.  Gmx.net has over 10 million users many of which pay for the service because it's so good. So, I'm guessing with that they created gmx.com and tweaked it to get more in tune with what Americans look for in a email suite. Just guessing though.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                                This is news too me ... is there a place to confirm that?

                                They are the same company as gmx.net which is to Germany the equivalent of US Yahoo. Gmx.net has over 10 million users many of which pay for the service because it's so good. So, I'm guessing with that they created gmx.com and tweaked it to get more in tune with what Americans look for in a email suite. Just guessing though.
                              • Brent
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                                  If you do a whois for gmx.com and gmx.net, the contact information is the same for both.

                                  On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:43 AM, too_much green_tea <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:
                                  This is news too me ... is there a place to confirm that?

                                  They are the same company as gmx.net which is to Germany the equivalent of US Yahoo.  Gmx.net has over 10 million users many of which pay for the service because it's so good. So, I'm guessing with that they created gmx.com and tweaked it to get more in tune with what Americans look for in a email suite. Just guessing though.

                                     mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                • too_much green_tea
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                                    Thanks :D
                                    I was misreading that as gmx being part of Yahoo! ... my mistake :P

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                                      I guess I should have said they are both owned and operated by United Internet Group.

                                      "
                                      The United Internet Group was founded in 1988. Together with its branches 1&1 and Fasthosts, the Group offers the largest global web hosting service. The United Internet Group (listed on the stock exchange: ISIN DE0005089031) is highly profitable and has a market capitalization of 5.5 billion USD or 3.8 billion GBP as of October 31, 2007. The Group has over 3,500 employees at locations in America, Europe and Asia. United Internet's high speed data centers manage more than 10 million domains. The Group's data centers set extremely high standards worldwide with 40,000 hosted servers and a monthly transfer volume of 4,000 terrabytes as well as over 5 billion e-mails. GMX maintains more than 10 million active e-mail accounts."

                                      Both gmx.com and gmx.net have a similar "about gmx" page if you can understand a little bit of German and can see that the United Internet Group logo is the same.
                                    • Brian VanArsdale
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                                        Yeah, I now see how my wording could have led one to misunderstand what I was saying. Sorry.

                                        On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:43 AM, too_much green_tea <toomuchgreentea@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                                        This is news too me ... is there a place to confirm that?

                                        They are the same company as gmx.net which is to Germany the equivalent of US Yahoo. Gmx.net has over 10 million users many of which pay for the service because it's so good. So, I'm guessing with that they created gmx.com and tweaked it to get more in tune with what Americans look for in a email suite. Just guessing though.

                                      • Reb Kin
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008

                                           When you sign up there you get to choose which GMX you want...gmx.com, gmx.us and so on..it's the same as gmx.de..the original German one.

                                          I've tried it a little. It was able to collect mail from Yahoo.com and Hotmail even though I don't have any paid for service.

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                                            And earlier this year Google Calendar suddenly stopped sending
                                            reminders to my cell phone. I've tried to fix this at both the Google
                                            and wireless provider end of things. I don't want internet on my
                                            phone, I'm happy with just text messaging. At least Yahoo Calendar
                                            still knows how to send an e-mail to a cellphone! (Do NOT change that
                                            y'all!)
                                            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "librarysteve57" <stevewright@...> wrote:

                                            > If you really need IMAP, then by all means, switch to Gmail right now.
                                            > It's not a deal-breaker for me -- it would be nice, but it's not
                                            > essential.
                                            >
                                            > As for the calendar, Yahoo lets me send event reminders to whatever
                                            > email address I want (my Yahoo address, my work account, whatever).
                                            > Gmail only lets you send reminders to your Gmail address. That's just
                                            > unacceptable to me.
                                            >
                                            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "allruiz" <allruiz@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > The lack of a new calendar and IMAP is pushing me to Google.

                                          • belfioregroups
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 19, 2008
                                              Well back to the supposedly new calendar...

                                              We've been hearing it was in internal testing for years (and yeh
                                              actually you now count that in years...)

                                              But in fact we can really say that this is not true. Yahoo! would have
                                              showed teaser video or screenshots. But they have not.

                                              Now it s not just the calendar that "had" me switch to Google: IMAP on
                                              the desktop client and push for mail plus subscribers would have been
                                              the minimum...who cares about supposedly unlimited storage...given for
                                              free or stationaries...