Re: [Y-Mail] Re: What is so horribly wrong with Yahoo! Mail these days?

  • Simmie
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
      Another thing that can be done is set up a folder in Yahoo!Mail to use as templates -- when you need to use them, go in, Copy them and Paste into a new document.

      Maybe not as efficient as it used to be, but it does work.

      Simmie

    • Ryan
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
        Greetings draft power users,

        In my defense, I don't think I said it quite like Robin described, but the end result is still
        the same. I in no way wanted to suggest that you guys are of a small number...so TOUGH.
        Unfortunately, if we are to provide auto-saving of drafts (something the vast majority of
        users really want) it requires that the drafts folder be handled differently.

        Robin references the override that will prevent your message from moving to SENT after
        you send, but you will also have to consider that it will always update to the latest auto-
        saved version. For my money saving the content elsewhere is the best bet.

        You should be able to compose your messages and send them to yourself, then just create
        a "Templates" folder and move the messages there. You can copy/paste the content from
        those messages into a new message, and update there. You don't want to use the
        FORWARD option, because it will automatically initiate forward formatting (indents and
        stuff).

        At least that works with all of my testing, but I'd also love to hear how others are choosing
        to work around the Auto-Save changes.

        Ryan
        Community Manager
        Y! Mail
      • Christian
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
          Hi,

          I'll take having auto save to draft any day over all other draft related features. I do not know how many times I've been sitting there looking at my wonderfully written masterpiece of an e-mail and then something happens like a browser crash, kid pulling the plug, ghost in the machine etc, and my masterpiece is gone. That hasn't happened after auto save. So do NOT take that away EVER! :) And no, I will not remember to hit "save to draft". I just won't. I know it, because I didn't when I had to.

          I'll strangle Ryan or tell MS to purchase Yahoo (or both!) if that feature is taken away again! :)

          --
          Christian

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
            me 2.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
              Thanks Christian - slightly emphatically put, but nevertheless I agree with you. I think I'm also in the fortunate majority who thought the change to auto-save drafts was a great one.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                Please forgive me, Ryan and group, if I cast Ryan's comments in an unfavorable light. Ryan has been exceedingly helpful to me since he came on board, as well as being very polite.

                His last communication to me regarding this problem in mid-March did indicate that the "vast majority" of YM users prefer the new draft system, and although the YM team considered it important to try to meet the needs of the rest of us, I should try to make the copy-and-paste options work for me. I don't mind reminding him once in a while that we're still a grumbling minority, trying to keep our sanity in an increasingly email-dependent world.

                Note to the group member who objected to this thread: On the whole, I love Yahoo mail (and have never compared it to gmail or Outlook!) and most of the new upgrades to both NM and Classic are great. It's been wonderful having this forum to express our opinions as the protocol moved through the various versions. It's a forum that Yahoo supports, and members should not be shot down for expressing their opinions about the product they've been asked to critique.

                Robin

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Christian,

                  Your saved drafts, and my neck, have nothing to worry about. We did a lot of work to get it
                  into New Mail, and just did even more work to add it to Classic too, so we are pretty
                  committed to it staying.

                  That being said, we still want to find a way to help these Draft Template users ... it just needs
                  to be a solution that doesn't conflict with the auto-save. :)

                  -Ryan
                • belfioregroups
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 8, 2008
                    And that's without mentioning Calendar & Notepad ... it's becoming
                    ridiculous... starting to believe that only Microsoft will be able to
                    finish the work for you ...